Welcome to Gaia! ::

The HeartGold and SoulSilver Guild v2

Back to Guilds

Oh My God! Go, Go, Go! Its Out, Go Get It! Go get your copies of Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver! Join the Guild! Play the Game! 

Tags: Heart, Gold, Soul, Silver, Pokemon 

Reply General Pokemon Chatter--For Everything Else!
Early Days of Pokemon--remensice Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Feather Kana
Captain

Sparkly Spirit

18,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:17 pm
You know, I thought it might be interesting to start a thread about this--I'm an older pokemon player; I'm old enough to well remember the early days of the games and have regularly played it since then too.

I am willing to bet that there's a small number of conversation topics about the early days of the pokemon mania that younger people, or people newer to the game series, don't remember as well or not at all. That is what this thread is for.

It's okay to post about the earliest impressions you got with pokemon--even if they weren't the first-generation games. Post about what you remember.

Um....to start off with--who here remembers the many silly glitches found in the first generation of games, Red and Blue? (Or red and green if you played the Japanese versions.)

For example, if any of you still have these ancient dinosaurs of games, you can daringly go back and....(The first few I don't recommend so much due to possible disruptions of game data--you've been warned!)

....Meet MissingNo or 'M.
....Exploit the Mew Glitches.
....Use game glitches to get pokemon out of the Safari Zone.
....Use Cut on a tree, stand where the tree is and save the game. Reload game and you're standing on the tree! Useless but funny.
....Approach Cinnebar from the north, along the shoreline. There's a phantom guy on the roof of the Gym.

The most famous Glitch from Gold and Silver that I recall happily exploiting is the item and pokemon duplication glitch. You had to be careful with it, as once again it puts your game data at risk, but oh joy, double the Legendaries....and endless Master Balls.

This topic isn't meant to cover just glitches, however. Discuss what you remember. Gold and Silver had a ton of beta material found in its RAM that hinted at the early stages of game development.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:19 pm
Ah, twas hoping somebody would make a thread for this. My favorite glitch is the erasing of your game data after two years, then the disabling of in game saving.

Then the MissingNo on the shore in the city.

Then the Mew glitch one of my favorites~

Pokemon Yellow Glitches~
When you exit your house, go to the girl that says "I'm raising Pokemon too!", Push her so she will go to the grass at the exit of Pallet Town. Then let Oak call you ("Hey, wait, don't go out!"). You'll traspass her as if she were a ghost.
Becuase the game has to move you, making a "sequence", you'll traspass her. A solution for this would be program that girl for her not to move so much (and just stay near your house).

Enter the Bike Route, and go to the most above. Keep going down, but then go up again. The trees transform in water, and vice versa!

Go to Lavender Town, and enter the Pokemon Tower without the Silph Scope. Walk around until a Ghost appear. When you're fighting, see the stats of one of your Pokemons, then return to the battle screen. You'll see a Ghost Pokemon (such as Gastly), but not the Ghost.

Go to the Safari Zone in Fucsia City. Pay $500 to enter. When you enter, exit through the gate. The man will say "Leaving early?", and answer No. You'll enter again to the Safari Zone. After that, save your game, and turn off.

Turn on again, and select Continue. You'll find yourself again in the Safari Zone. Exit through the gate. This time, instead of getting the "Leaving early?" message, the man will say nothing. Try to leave and he'll give you the welcome to the Safari, even though you have already payed to get in.

When he asks you if you want to enter, say No. Leave the gate, and Fly to Cinnabar.

When you get, go to the right, and surf. Keep surfing in that Sea Route, until the message "Ding Dong! Time's up!" appears...

You'll appear again in the gate of the Safari Zone. Exit, and instead of getting to Fucsia, you'll be in Glitch City.  

iWizzle_Dizzle

aqua eevee

Sparkly Shopper

20,650 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Champion 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:20 pm
ah yes the old games, fond memories of braining a pikachu into having fly.... surf i had legit though. surfing pikachu beach was fun to play.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:40 pm
Gee I'd like a flying Pikachu....but I wish they'd put the surfing game back too. I don't think it is in HG/SS. Rats!  

Feather Kana
Captain

Sparkly Spirit

18,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200

Pure Winter Love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:59 am
I loved the MissingNo glitch...but who's the guy that appears on the gym roof?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:48 am
I'm re-playing Yellow right now. :3
I already got Mew, but I don't think Missingno. is in it. D:
Does anyone know otherwise? <<

ii-Crazy Sunshine

iWizzle_Dizzle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:10 pm
I never really did the missingo glitch that much, when my little brother was playing my Red game, he ran into and caught it... that was like the one pokemon game I beat.

So, after I got Yellow I never attempted the MissingNo glitch again, I taugh my brother not to go the shore anymore... oh I regret letting him play it.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:49 am
Catching Missingno usually destroys the game. <_< It did for me, at least...  

ii-Crazy Sunshine

iWizzle_Dizzle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:54 am
Riu -- Rararah
Oh, well, maybe they did remove it.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:16 pm
iWizzle_Dizzle
Riu -- Rararah

Ah, no, it's still there in a way....but the circumstances for finding him are different, and you don't get any benefits worth risking your game data for. They did remove the main reasons for encountering him, and he doesn't look the same. Let's just say Yellow has its own glitch pokemon. Red and Blue were lessons in and of themselves.

You gotta love Bulbapedia for keeping me up to date on that sort of thing...  

Feather Kana
Captain

Sparkly Spirit

18,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200

iWizzle_Dizzle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:58 pm
Feather Kana
iWizzle_Dizzle
Riu -- Rararah

Ah, no, it's still there in a way....but the circumstances for finding him are different, and you don't get any benefits worth risking your game data for. They did remove the main reasons for encountering him, and he doesn't look the same. Let's just say Yellow has its own glitch pokemon. Red and Blue were lessons in and of themselves.

You gotta love Bulbapedia for keeping me up to date on that sort of thing...
Yep, I stopped with the glitches after my brother destroyed my game.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:29 pm
i'd really only exploit the cloning glitches in silver myself but one time before i learned how to exploit the glitch i found a wild Espeon! it was on victory road and it murdered the pokemon I was training and ran away!  

Aozorana

Friendly Shapeshifter

5,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Feather Kana
Captain

Sparkly Spirit

18,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:26 am
Aozorana
i'd really only exploit the cloning glitches in silver myself but one time before i learned how to exploit the glitch i found a wild Espeon! it was on victory road and it murdered the pokemon I was training and ran away!

Now THAT is a glitch pokemon....but a cool one.

There was the time I ran into a male Chansey in Gold and to my embarrassment, When I once had my Feraligatr in daycare, hatched his daughter and later on removed the Ditto and put her in with him and forgot to remove my first Feraligatr I came back later to discover another egg....er, I thought that wasn't supposed to happen! confused  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:04 am
Feather Kana
Aozorana

There was the time I ran into a male Chansey in Gold and to my embarrassment, When I once had my Feraligatr in daycare, hatched his daughter and later on removed the Ditto and put her in with him and forgot to remove my first Feraligatr I came back later to discover another egg....er, I thought that wasn't supposed to happen! confused
it don't think it was o.O  

Aozorana

Friendly Shapeshifter

5,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Feather Kana
Captain

Sparkly Spirit

18,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm
Aozorana
Feather Kana
Aozorana

it don't think it was o.O

Eek...he had slipped my mind. I mean you can leave two family members in daycare if you really wanted to; they just won't breed if you do. But if your aim is just to level them up this way then it's not a problem. He was max level and I vaguely recall that all I wanted to do was level up that new Totodile I'd hatched and...er....that wasn't what happened, obviously!

I took him out after that. Embarrassment city. This is the first time I've told anyone! sweatdrop confused redface  
General Pokemon Chatter--For Everything Else!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games