Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Morals ... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:07 pm
My religious friend insists morals come from the Bible. I also told her I disliked Christianity and other organized religions (well religions in general). She said all morals come from the Bible and how it brings freedom to America.

Well doesn't Japan have freedom too and don't they have their own moral system but yet they are mainly buddhists/shintoist.
My friend insists that the Japanese had got their morals from some interaction with Christians. o.O

When I was growing up, I was not taught about the bible but yet I have my own morals. My moral system: "Do whatever you want just as long as it doesn't harm anyone else." She insists I got my morals (well some of it) from my parents (which yeah that's true) but my parents got people that knew about the bible. REALLY?! (my parents are now christians but before they never read the bible.)

Why do the assume everyone's morals came from the bible?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:15 pm
It's because they don't want to believe there are other sources for morals other than religion, and that's one of the many reasons I HATE them. They're always clamoring to get credit for anything positive and good in the world, but the moment they hear about something awful or wrong in the world, they're the first to say "Oh, well that can't have anything to do with christianity".

That's one of the reasons these people disgust me, and make me wish the world in my mind existed instead of this god-dominated piece of s**t world.  

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:29 pm
oh and apparantly the holocaust was caused by Satan or at least that's what she told me  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:13 pm
It sounds like your friend is stupid.
'Nuff said.
rofl

But seriously, its probably the way that she was raised. Some people are simply raised to believe that Christianity is the law of the land. Of course, once you give examples like Japan and she continues to insist that it involves Christianity (even though the Japanese didn't have contact with Western beliefs until long after Buddhism was established), then we get the whole "stupid" thing in it again.

The Emoholic

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:53 am
The Emoholic
It sounds like your friend is stupid.
'Nuff said.
rofl

But seriously, its probably the way that she was raised. Some people are simply raised to believe that Christianity is the law of the land. Of course, once you give examples like Japan and she continues to insist that it involves Christianity (even though the Japanese didn't have contact with Western beliefs until long after Buddhism was established), then we get the whole "stupid" thing in it again.

actually she wasn't raised with christianity
she was born into a nonreligious family
she ... BRAINWASHED  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:56 pm
Just say... "Do you really think so?"

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:58 am
As far as Japan goes, you should point out to her that there were morals in place and very strict systems of honor long before Japan had contact with the West. Sure, after contact, their culture was influenced greatly. But just look at the code of the Samurai. For that matter, look at the ancient philosophies of China; Confucianism and Taoism in particular, both much, much older than Christianity.

It's actually pretty amazing as far as Japan in concerned; in some ways, their civil liberties are even greater than ours (for example, bugs and taps in civilians' houses are illegal, period), but in other ways, they're not as free. It's a cultural thing. In the US, there's a sort of pervading attitude to be unique and creative and stand out from the crowd. In Japan, not only is that not encouraged, it is actively discouraged. Sorry, obviously one of my favorite topics. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:22 pm
I do not think our morals come from the Bible. Is your friend referring to the ten commandments? If so... tell her that you don't think lying is as bad as murdering someone. Then see how she responds. I mean, the bible clearly states that both are sinful and evil; so how can someone determine which is worse? Is it because lying does not cause as much harm as murdering? So do we get our sense of morality through observing how our actions positively or negatively affect others and then determine what is right and wrong from that? Hmmm... possibly?  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:05 pm
It's funny.
It's not worth the unbelievable amount of effort it would take to change her mind.
And obviously you wouldn't get anywhere with logic.
But I still want to present a logical argument of every reason why that logic is wrong.
It's like crack to me!

No more debating with theists for me...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:42 am
LimeIzMyFaveColor
oh and apparantly the holocaust was caused by Satan or at least that's what she told me
Remind her that god died after the holocaust.
You know who started it? The professors from art academy that refused Adolf's request to become their student. That means art is evil. (okay, I'll tell you that, they recently refused me too... 3 points per 15, eh... I still think I'm a genius at drawing, I don't care xd yeah, right...)  

Raticiel

FuzzBall 005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:50 am
Bleh morality, Nihilist over here on my end. Should tell her that if god said in the bible that raping babies was a good thing then it would be consider morally good to rape babies.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:57 am
"So smote all the country ... he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded."-Joshua 10:40

Thank God we don't get our morals from the Bible. xd

Pretty much everything in the Bible was stolen from earlier cultures, anyway. Look up "Horus".  

Lethkhar

[neon.zombie]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:23 am
Labyrinthknight7
It's because they don't want to believe there are other sources for morals other than religion, and that's one of the many reasons I HATE them. They're always clamoring to get credit for anything positive and good in the world, but the moment they hear about something awful or wrong in the world, they're the first to say "Oh, well that can't have anything to do with christianity".

That's one of the reasons these people disgust me, and make me wish the world in my mind existed instead of this god-dominated piece of s**t world.

Thiiiiiis.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:36 am
Waaait a minute, didn't Japan exist in the B.C. era?
Isn't there mention of this "Christ" fellow in the book itself?

...argument lost the moment it was made?

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100

dl1371

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:20 am
Morals do not come from the Bible, morals come from the fact that we see another person suffering, and we want to help them.

Its that simple  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces