Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Barry Goldwater Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:32 am
I'm certain most of you went "who" when you saw that name in the title. I chalk it up to the schools being particularly bad about teaching contemporary American political history. To sum up, and you can read about the man here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/daily/may98/goldwater30.htm

he was the father of modern American conservatism. Most people attribute the rise of conservatism to Reagan, but the truth is Reagan was very much an acolyte of Goldwater and it was Goldwater's ascendancy that paved the way for Reagan.

So, given Goldwater's forebear status for what we today call conservatism, I found it enlightening to share a few of the man's quotes with you. I'm hoping some of you might stop and ask "why would the father of American conservatism say such things?"

Quotes:

Quote:
The rights that we have under the Constitution covers anything we want to do, as long as its not harmful. I can't see any way in the world that being a gay can cause damage to somebody else

Quote:
It's wonderful that we have so many religious people in our party, ... They need to leave their theologies in their churches.

Quote:
You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight.

Quote:
I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the a**.

Quote:
To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

So, what are your thoughts on this?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:38 pm
I have heard of him previously [from you] and thus far have liked his ideals. I really like his views on libertarianism =]  

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200

Ruyashie

4,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:25 pm
Lord Bitememan
I'm certain most of you went "who" when you saw that name in the title. I chalk it up to the schools being particularly bad about teaching contemporary American political history. To sum up, and you can read about the man here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/daily/may98/goldwater30.htm

he was the father of modern American conservatism. Most people attribute the rise of conservatism to Reagan, but the truth is Reagan was very much an acolyte of Goldwater and it was Goldwater's ascendancy that paved the way for Reagan.

So, given Goldwater's forebear status for what we today call conservatism, I found it enlightening to share a few of the man's quotes with you. I'm hoping some of you might stop and ask "why would the father of American conservatism say such things?"

Quotes:

Quote:
The rights that we have under the Constitution covers anything we want to do, as long as its not harmful. I can't see any way in the world that being a gay can cause damage to somebody else

Quote:
It's wonderful that we have so many religious people in our party, ... They need to leave their theologies in their churches.

Quote:
You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight.

Quote:
I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the a**.

Quote:
To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

I like Goldwater's view cept the gay marriage part. But other then that I really love this man's views.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:54 pm
I like the way the guy thinks, even his views on gay marriage. Homosexuality really doesn't do any harm to other people.  

Latopazora

Ruyashie

4,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:57 pm
Latopazora
I like the way the guy thinks, even his views on gay marriage. Homosexuality really doesn't do any harm to other people.

I'd say explain how it does, but that is why we have a Same Sex Marriage Forum.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:11 pm
i truly like his ideals and sounds like we need somebody like him to rise up and make everything better he needs to kiss the boo boo that is today's current problems in america and I'm not talking about obama's short on change slogan  

goodshot911SNK

Latopazora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:21 pm
I know I shouldn't put a lot of weight on wikipedia, but was Berry Goldwater against the Civil Rights Act of 1964?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:47 pm
Latopazora
I know I shouldn't put a lot of weight on wikipedia, but was Berry Goldwater against the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

Yep, I believe he said something like "you can't pass a law to make me like you, or you like me."

On topic, I've always found Barry Goldwater to be a very interesting figure. He had a very clear vision for the US. A man of great intellect too. He had many excellent positions and, unfortunately, the modern GOP is not to fit to lick his boots. Frankly he'd be reviled by the moral authoritarians and extremists that have overrun his party. For him, conservatism was about individual liberty, for many in the modern GOP it means stomping on said liberty.  

DanskiWolf

Latopazora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:55 pm
DanskiWolf
Latopazora

Yep, I believe he said something like "you can't pass a law to make me like you, or you like me."

On topic, I've always found Barry Goldwater to be a very interesting figure. He had a very clear vision for the US. A man of great intellect too. He had many excellent positions and, unfortunately, the modern GOP is not to fit to lick his boots. Frankly he'd be reviled by the moral authoritarians and extremists that have overrun his party. For him, conservatism was about individual liberty, for many in the modern GOP it means stomping on said liberty.

so… is that one of the reasons why liberals see us as racists? I've always wondered where that came from.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:00 pm
Latopazora

so… is that one of the reasons why liberals see us as racists? I've always wondered where that came from.

Goldwater was called a racist, but he was nothing of the sort. Though calling people racist is quite popular amongst the Left. Recently it came out that the British Labour government expanded immigration so they'd be able to demonise the Conservative Party as racist and reactionairy (because they wrongly assumed the Conservatives would get angry aboutt increasing numbers of non-whites).  

DanskiWolf

Latopazora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:04 pm
DanskiWolf
Latopazora

Goldwater was called a racist, but he was nothing of the sort. Though calling people racist is quite popular amongst the Left. Recently it came out that the British Labour government expanded immigration so they'd be able to demonise the Conservative Party as racist and reactionairy (because they wrongly assumed the Conservatives would get angry aboutt increasing numbers of non-whites).

Wow… I seriously did not know that. thank you for clearing that up for me.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:06 pm
Nether did I.  

goodshot911SNK

Semiremis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:09 pm
Latopazora
DanskiWolf
Latopazora

It's an age old tactic. Demonize your enemy and gain more fervent followers of your own cause.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:19 pm
Latopazora
DanskiWolf
Latopazora

Alot of early klans men were conservative is one of the reasons.  

Ruyashie

4,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

DanskiWolf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:48 pm
Ruyashie
Latopazora
DanskiWolf
Latopazora

Alot of early klans men were conservative is one of the reasons.

But, ironically, were more inclined towards the Democratic Party.  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff