Looking for a new PC Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Betgirl

Quotable Genius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:06 pm
Who here knows stuff about buying new PCs and such? I'm into technology and stuff, but I never got around to really learning what each part does and all that s**t. I know graphics card and sound card and what they do, but what're the best brands and s**t? It'd be nice to know before i start saving up some money.

So, discuss: What should i be looking for in a new PC, especially if I want to game on it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:08 pm
I'm also in your situation, except I want a cheap laptop that plays new video games decently.  

Super Cheesio

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:16 pm
if you want something that will run all your games, buy a Desktop, not a laptop

or buy an expensive laptop (try to get one discounted though)

i would say the £400 mark tends to be good enough to run games.

or just go into PC world and ask what laptops they have that are good for games, that always works too!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:23 pm
GET A VELOCITY D<

But yeah, here're my computer's specs. If you can match these you're good to go.

Except for the OS. Don't match that.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ ~2.5 GHz
Memory: ~2 GB RAM [I really wanna upgrade this to 4 though.]
Graphics card: NVidia GeForce 9800 GT [~1800 MB memory]
Sound: I don't really care for sound cards. I have no clue.

This is a computer built to support NVidia 3D vision, so it gobbles up power. The power supply that came with it couldn't handle it all, but I don't remember how much this one can. So just be wary of that. >>

Also, my setup costed maybe $600-700, without any accessories or the monitor.
Though, if you're curious, with everything, around $1500 or so would be my best guess.  

Terara Drakon

The Betgirl

Quotable Genius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:23 pm
Terara Drakon
GET A VELOCITY D<

But yeah, here're my computer's specs. If you can match these you're good to go.

This is a computer built to support NVidia 3D vision, so it gobbles up power. The power supply that came with it couldn't handle it all, but I don't remember how much this one can. So just be wary of that. >>

Though, if you're curious, with everything, around $1500 or so would be my best guess.
nomnomnom

I want to be able to run Borderlands on full. My friend is right now, and it looks so purdy ;o;

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:25 pm
fire - link
if you want something that will run all your games, buy a Desktop, not a laptop

or buy an expensive laptop (try to get one discounted though)

i would say the £400 mark tends to be good enough to run games.

or just go into PC world and ask what laptops they have that are good for games, that always works too!
Oh hey, you're British? =D British culties are quite rare. They come and go you know? Like you. I haven't seen you around for a looong time.  

Super Cheesio

Terara Drakon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:27 pm
The Betman
Terara Drakon
GET A VELOCITY D<

nomnomnom

I want to be able to run Borderlands on full. My friend is right now, and it looks so purdy ;o;
Well, if you get anything close to what I have, you won't have a hard time doing that at all. My specs pretty much double the requirements for Borderlands. <.<  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:30 pm
Terara Drakon
The Betman
Terara Drakon
GET A VELOCITY D<

nomnomnom

Well, if you get anything close to what I have, you won't have a hard time doing that at all. My specs pretty much double the requirements for Borderlands. <.<
My computer hardly runs it, which makes me sad. I'm on my second run now, though.  

The Betgirl

Quotable Genius

Terara Drakon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:31 pm
The Betman
Terara Drakon
The Betman
Terara Drakon
GET A VELOCITY D<

nomnomnom

My computer hardly runs it, which makes me sad. I'm on my second run now, though.
Well don't get too good at the game. I don't wanna look too noobish when playing with you.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:31 pm
My computer keeps crashing when I play Spore. I'm guessing this is because of the CPU? Is there any way to upgrade it?  

Super Cheesio

The Betgirl

Quotable Genius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:32 pm
Terara Drakon
The Betman
Terara Drakon
The Betman
Terara Drakon
GET A VELOCITY D<

nomnomnom

Well don't get too good at the game. I don't wanna look too noobish when playing with you.
I'm already level 39. xD I destroy that game. I love it. And my FPS is horrible. I'll love it when i'm able to play it really well.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:00 pm
How far are you willing to go? A gaming rig by definition is simply a computer designed for gaming. It doesn't denote a price range. I could probably put together a solid gaming machine for $1000 and another for $4000.

What components/brands are best are all depending upon your budget. I wanna help youuuuu!  

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

The Betgirl

Quotable Genius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:02 pm
Trenn Flashkill
How far are you willing to go? A gaming rig by definition is simply a computer designed for gaming. It doesn't denote a price range. I could probably put together a solid gaming machine for $1000 and another for $4000.

What components/brands are best are all depending upon your budget. I wanna help youuuuu!
Lol. My friend is looking at stuff for me, and he is a huge tech geek. So he put me something together for an estimated price of 1100ish. He was all for trying to get me a solid Slate Disk? I dunno  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:18 pm
Solid slate? xd redface

Don't bother with solid state drives right now. They're getting exponentially cheaper and bigger, so you can only benefit from waiting.

Oh, and the cells wear down faster than normal RAM(volatile memory), if I remember correctly.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:38 pm
The Betman
Trenn Flashkill

Lol. My friend is looking at stuff for me, and he is a huge tech geek. So he put me something together for an estimated price of 1100ish. He was all for trying to get me a solid Slate Disk? I dunno

You could definitely squeeze a solid state drive into a budget machine. As a matter of fact it's probably the biggest upgrade you'll notice. SSDs are MUUUUUCH faster than standard hard disks. Remember, for the most part your computer is only as fast as the slowest component which has been the hard drive. SSDs will help alleviate that problem.

That being said, Kegan is still right. The cons outweigh the pros. SSDs are in its infancy. They're expensive, small capacity, have a short lifespan and are constantly evolving. Buy one now, and you'll be burned. You can always get an SSD when the tech is solid. Plus the benefit SSDs bring doesn't apply to gaming as much. It's a substantial overall upgrade, but if you're just concerned about gaming, SSDs are a HUGE waste of money. You'd be better off going SLI/Crossfire (DON'T!!! btw).

Unless you have money to burn. Then by all means.  
Social Room

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff