Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
the hypocrisy of calling us unethical Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dl1371

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:06 pm
so i was in the car with my friend and his mom, and we were having a religious debate, i brought up the point that god commited a genocide in noahs ark and should be classified with hitler and stalin, so my friends mom said, "maybe they deserved to die, some people do", i of course dont think that and asked her why some people deserve to die
she said,"if someone killed your mom would you want to kill them?" no i answered,"i would be fine seeing them put to a life sentence, but not death"
so she said,"well i would want to kill them"

...explain to me how WE are unethical?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:27 pm
I dont think just because you have a religion that makes you ethical. I personally am against the death penalty.  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:10 pm
And anyway, it's not like EVERYONE on earth had killed someone's mom. They were more than likely just wearing the wrong kind of sandals or something.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:02 pm
I would've been like "so maybe the Jews deserved to die"
and if she said anything like "Why do you think they deserved to die?", I could respond with: "if someone killed your mom, would you want to kill them?"
Lol. Like Leth said, I doubt the whole Earth population killed someone's mom. The Flood was immoral. Genocide is NOT moral. Couldn't an omnibenevolent god simply kill all the bad ones and not kill off the ones that didn't cause horrible crimes?  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

dl1371

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:10 pm
D i v i n i t y
and if she said anything like "Why do you think they deserved to die?", I could respond with: "if someone killed your mom, would you want to kill them?"
Lol. Like Leth said, I doubt the whole Earth population killed someone's mom. The Flood was immoral. Genocide is NOT moral. Couldn't an omnibenevolent god simply kill all the bad ones and not kill off the ones that didn't cause horrible crimes?

yeah, he could have just struck every bad person with lightning
and that way noah wouldnt have to do as much work  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:52 pm
dl1371
D i v i n i t y

yeah, he could have just struck every bad person with lightning
and that way noah wouldnt have to do as much work

Perhaps Noah was really fat (With a F, theres a diffrence) so god told him to build the ark cuasing him to lose a few pounds and getting totally riped...so god was the first fitness instructer  

FuzzBall 005

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:29 am
What really gets me about Noah's story... Instead of God speaking to everyone and telling them about the coming flood in person... He just tells Noah. So Noah, trying to be a nice guy, goes and warns some people about the flood. They don't listen.

Well, of COURSE they don't! Who would listen to a raving lunatic? So why didn't God just tell everyone about it instead of "testing" people by having the message delivered by some ship-building madman?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:54 am
Ugh some religious people can be terribly hypocritical...  

Lordress Viper

Beloved Goat

13,075 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:55 pm
I'm sorry, I'll have to agree with this woman on this one, some people are better off dead. It's not like people can't kill other people while being in jail.

However, I don't think all of the people in those genocided cities should have been put to death.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:59 pm
[-Erik-]
I'm sorry, I'll have to agree with this woman on this one, some people are better off dead. It's not like people can't kill other people while being in jail.

However, I don't think all of the people in those genocided cities should have been put to death.

why?
just because they are twisted people, doesnt mean they deserve to die
i do agree with you about jail though, we should seriously get some better prison security  

dl1371

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:54 pm
dl1371
[-Erik-]

why?
i do agree with you about jail though, we should seriously get some better prison security

Yeah, I mean, what's the point of dealing with these uncorrectable people?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:36 pm
[-Erik-]
dl1371
[-Erik-]

why?

Well, who decides who's uncorrectable and who's just mentally unstable?  

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:42 pm
brainnsoup
[-Erik-]
dl1371
[-Erik-]

why?

Psychiatrics, apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:53 pm
[-Erik-]
brainnsoup
[-Erik-]
dl1371
[-Erik-]

why?

Who would you trust to judge whether you should be put to death or not in that situation?  

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Raticiel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:14 am
[-Erik-]
brainnsoup
[-Erik-]
dl1371
[-Erik-]

why?

Am I having a deja vu, or something? cool  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas