Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply Fashion Advice
Avoiding the Taboo... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smedly_norbert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:27 am
I have a dilemma. My mother has rejected all the styles of clothing and the looks I love:

bangs down in face
skinnies
big poufy hair
excessive makeup
irregular hair colors
tight clothing
all bands except Christian and some classic rock
vans
AND she thinks converse cost too much

So. How do I overcome this tragedy? I do own a pair of straight leg jeans and some shirts from surf shops that are black, but that's about it. Plus I have some wrist things from Hot Topic, but that's it. I have no Converse or anything like it. All my clothes are bright colors or look too preppy to pass for something different. My mom doesn't like me to wear makeup and I have to pass a modesty test before I walk out the door.

Help? Advice? Any alternates?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:23 am
The only thing I find odd is that she thinks converses are costly, I got mine for under $20 easy.  

Art Payment

smedly_norbert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:45 pm
There's my mom for you.

She doesn't believe in spending excessive money. But do have any suggestions to get that sexy look without making her freak out?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:27 pm
I have the same dillema but not because of my mother, because of where I live and certain rules at school.

- I wear boot-cut jeans instead of skinnies, they look basically the same
- I can't dye my hair crazy colours because of my stupid school, we can only have "natural hair colours"
- You don't have to wear tight clothing to be "emo", you can wear slightly looser clothing but the same styles and if your mum's religious you could always paint angel wings or stuff like that on them
- Converse can be expensive but they have cheap ones around that look exactly the same

You don't have to have everything exactly the same to be an "emo", you can improvise, you can improvise with most things smile (I wouldn't suggest improvising too much with cooking or chemistry though, that might end a little badly rofl sweatdrop )  

cre8ive_ovadose

Lonely Lunatic

17,425 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Frog Apocalypse

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:35 pm
sounds like my parents, but i have some old nikes that are so beat up its hard to tell what they are, so i just wear those. i bought my own pants, and they want to throw them out, but i know they wont.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:25 pm
Airwalks are awesome, I buy those instead of converse. They look almost exactly the same.  

OoPeroxidePrincessoO

JaredWinterfresh17

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:25 pm
Dress how you want.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:20 pm
JaredWinterfresh17
Dress how you want.

To everyone else:

Thanks so much for all the advice! I'm definately gonna buy a pair of airwalks and Mom and I trying to reach a compromise on skinny jeans. Personally, I don't like boot cut and I like tight clothing, but I do wear baggy clothing. Depends on my mood. I actually discovered a good look on Sunday after church. I had on a form fitted American Eagle shirt that was black and silver. I threw on my straight legs and a hot pink belt and added pink flip flops. I wore my hair down and in my face. On my wrist, I wore my chain wristband. I convinced two kids from my conservative school that I was actually darker that they thought I was.

(yesthatisanaccomplishment)  

smedly_norbert

iGrunny E M O

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:30 am
Mix it up.
Bright shirts with skinnies,
Black shirts with regular jeans.
Tell her to get you the one stars, at target.
Cheaper, and have insoles, so she can't complain they will damage your feet.

I have the same problem.
If you can, bring the makeup to school, and put it on there.
Compromise on a hair style, maybe one a bit more you than she wants.
Start doing stuff around the house, being a good boy.
They tend to listen more when you do.  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:16 am
when in doubt, be creative .  

emoboyhinata

Slothapus
Crew

7,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:03 am
Wow. Really?

Emo's are wanna be punks. Anything sadder then a Emo is a wannabe emo.

I love how everything is just written in stone. Like how Converse are SO emo or how Skinny jeans are SO emo. Every band that talks about a sad topic is SO ******** christ. You sound like you are looking to get your a** kicked. "How can I get that sexy emo look." Here is an idea ******** that clown s**t and just be yourself. Anyone who dresses by a book is usually ugly on the inside.

Honestly exercise, use Zit cream, take showers often. Those things make you look more attractive. Not clumps of make up, or your cloth. The one thing I really don't care much of in a girl is how they dress. As long as they don't dress like a skank and aren't dressing like a clown it's fine. Dress Casual, Personality is what people like not ******** emo. Seriously where do you kids get this stuff. If I dress like a clown girls will want me. Well guess what Girls who dress like clowns are the only girls who are gonna like a emo clown guy. Same Vice Versa.

For god sakes.  
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:44 am

i've been there, done that. surprisingly my parents did not care as much when i started to dress in what i wanted, not just by a list of stereotypes. granted i don't shop at hot topic or wear makeup that much anymore.

in a few years they'll either get used to it or you'll grow out of it.

osozaki girl

Fashionable Prophet

Onani Master Luna Thoth

Hygienic Humorist

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:46 am
Instead of having your hair in your face, just put it to the side. Keep it a natural color, but get a nice modern cut, there are a lot more options than just the standard bangs in face. You can put it more to the side, or get an asymmetrical those look good if you have the jaw line for it.
For cloths just get a cool jacket, and wear straight leg jeans, they don't have to be skin tight to be bad a**.
For shoes you can get off brand stuff for a lot cheaper than the real thing. I don't know why some one would dislike vans, they are good shoes. I wear them to work some times and my boss doesn't complain about them being too informal.
For make up you can do some sublet things with eye shadow that ends up looking way cooler than having raccoon eyes.
And wear what looks good on you, don't try to dress like every one else, stand out and be awesome, ******** trying to look like other people.  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:43 pm
Just reach a compromise. Pick stuff that you like and get her approval. Just because your mom doens't like everything you liek doesn't mean that she is going to make you dress like a school girl in pigtails!
For makeup I reccomend something neutral with a pop. For example, I use a light brown eyeshadow on my eyelid, a very thin line of black liquid eyeliner on my upper lash line, and some navy blue eyeliner on my waterline. The navy blue gives a pop of color but still looks kinda subtle. I hate mascara, so i don't use it. But you can if you want to, it brings the look up a notch.
Everyone already said great things about shoes. Airwalks and One Stars are less expensive and look like Converse, so you get a very similar look for less.
Good luck.  

Harley91594

Wheezing Lunatic

5,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

xXxCrimson_ShadowxXx

Gracious Vampire

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:32 am
Xconsumed_by_loveX
- I wear boot-cut jeans instead of skinnies, they look basically the same

Bahahahahaha! That's the funniest damn thing I've ever heard. Boot-cuts and skinnie really DON'T look alike!
User ImageUser Image

And, I'm not gonna even say anything about this thread, cause the author's obviously just trying to follow the crowd and not be herself, so I figure it's not worth my time. rofl  
Fashion Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff