Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"In God We Trust" Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dl1371

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:02 am
I was just wondering what you guys thought about them putting "In God We Trust" on the back of our money(American atheists)
it's kinda starting to piss me off, cause it shows that they don't really think that anyone would be atheist  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:37 am
Ironically, I'm debating that very topic on Tuesday for my debate club.
While I think it's hypocritical to have that saying on the money, I don't really care. Sure, it's promoting theism (particularly the Christian religion), but money is money. I'm still going to use it.

But you could always cross out the "In God We Trust" from on every single dollar bill. It's technically not illegal.  

In Search of a Dream

Moonlight Wolf Pack

5,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:34 pm
The government put that on the money during the red scare, when they feared "godless communists." I think that it is really unnecessary today. I sometimes cross it off of the money I use. That's not illegal.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:22 pm
I always cross it off my paper money, usually with a permanent marker.

The coins are harder to do that with though, I used to try and etch the saying off every one I found but eventually that got tiring so I just stuck to dealing with paper-money.

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 pm
HAHAHA! XD
You know what is funny?
Lately, that has ALSO been pissing me off.
From what I remember, the Red Scare act was made to ensure that no
" godless heathens " would be found in this theocracy of a country the government has made.
The Red Scare not only tried to demote " godless communists " but also added that phrase on the dollar bill and changed the national anthem.
That whole anthem is all about Christianity.
Under God?
Plus, let's not forget the moment of silence.
We all know it is just a subliminal work of praying.
Plus, your forced to use such money and forced to do such anthem. >.>

For years, Atheists and sensible religious people have been trying to remove this from the country.
However, considering the country is full of mostly Christians and most of them feel their country should reflect their " powerful faith " we can't remove it even if we tried.
One day we will and signs are showing with these dieing religions but for now, I'm forced to sing under Canada when I stand.

If you read the common middle school social studies book, from what I still have, a page in there contains the reason of the national anthem and the money phrase.
However, NOTHING on the page contained anything of the Red Scare but phrases hating Atheism and supporting the theocracy it stated.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:19 pm
I wouldn't say it pisses me off because I rarely look at my money long enough to piss me off. I rarely have to say the pledge of allegiance either(Even when we're supposed to I don't recite it). I would of course like it off the money and out of our pledge because as a communist it offends me they would do that to smite us. But hey maybe that just means we used to actually be something in the US.  

Revolutionary Justice

4,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Statustician 100

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:49 pm
I guess my main problem with it is that most people aren't even willing to talk about it. They just think that you're being a**l and pushy if you bring it up. They consider it to be trivial, when in fact it's really offensive.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:36 pm
ima gonna try crossing out the "In God We Trust"
thanks guys  

dl1371

Xiporah

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:45 pm
I don't care honestly. I don't tend to look at it often enough to worry about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:03 am
User ImageI don't care for this as our national motto. "E Pluribus Unum" is a much more suitable motto for a country of such diversity (and a country of no state religion), and it hacks me off that they chose the religiously motivated motto instead. I have a lot of friends who constantly do those "OMGZ SAVE OUR 'IN GOD WE TRUST' MOTTO" and "SAVE GOD IN SKEWLZ" things on Facebook... so I vote against them in any poll I come across. I don't mind religious folk using the motto for themselves; I don't mind at all if they want to tell people that they trust in a god. But I don't want that motto to be forced on me as the official slogan of my officially secular country.User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:01 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
User ImageI don't care for this as our national motto. "E Pluribus Unum" is a much more suitable motto for a country of such diversity (and a country of no state religion), and it hacks me off that they chose the religiously motivated motto instead. I have a lot of friends who constantly do those "OMGZ SAVE OUR 'IN GOD WE TRUST' MOTTO" and "SAVE GOD IN SKEWLZ" things on Facebook... so I vote against them in any poll I come across. I don't mind religious folk using the motto for themselves; I don't mind at all if they want to tell people that they trust in a god. But I don't want that motto to be forced on me as the official slogan of my officially secular country.User Image

Exactly. What really irks me is when you tell someone that you hate the idea of " In God we trust " or " under God" , they think your Atheist right off the bat. It is ridiculous....  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:29 pm
I thought you all might like this. I got this as change one day and me and my friends signed it.

User Image  

Unrelenting Bloodlust

Yamigo1000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:43 pm
Unrelenting Bloodlust
I thought you all might like this. I got this as change one day and me and my friends signed it.

User Image

Wish I could sign that... But you really got that as change?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:54 pm
Yamigo1000
Unrelenting Bloodlust

User Image

Yea, I bought a pack of smokes and the cashier handed me back my change. The bill was just in there. I googled it and apparently it's a stamp that you can buy online. I guess someone just stamped a bunch of bills with it and put them into circulation.  

Unrelenting Bloodlust

pure seyelance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:04 pm
Unrelenting Bloodlust
Yamigo1000
Unrelenting Bloodlust

User Image

Yea, I bought a pack of smokes and the cashier handed me back my change. The bill was just in there. I googled it and apparently it's a stamp that you can buy online. I guess someone just stamped a bunch of bills with it and put them into circulation.

RIGHT ON MAN!  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces