Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Nothing's coming.
Christmas Shopping! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Christmas Shopping?
  Love It!
  Hate It!
  No opinion.
View Results

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:39 am

So, I've completed my Christmas shopping! Has anyone else?
      I know a few of my family members had their shopping done back in November. *falls over*

I think nowadays it seems like most people worry too much about the Christmas shopping instead of worrying about the important things. Like just being together and celebrating family.

It's like, my aunt.... she said she refuses to come to my house for Christmas Dinner (The hubby & I have a family oriented party every Christmas.... you're all invited of course! wink xD! ) ....Well, the point here is... my aunt refuses to come this year because she doesn't want to buy gifts. ....I tried to explain to her that it was not about the gifts. It was simply about people being together and celebrating a holiday. (I'm not Christian, so I don't celebrate Jesus.) I just personally feel that Christmas time is a time of love, and cherishing those around you. I guess, a greater extent of Thanksgiving. You know, being thankful for your family and loved ones. ...It's just that warm holiday feeling. And I tried, tried to explain these things to her. But, she seems like all she cares about are the gifts. .....And it's not like she's poor. She bought her son an XBOX 360 + lots of games for it and the Wii for Christmas. She just claims she doesn't want to get gifts for other people. ...I don't know. It just seems...selfish to me.

Anyway. That's my little story for the day. Sorry for the small "wall of text" xD! I just felt like contributing something to the guild. *ninjas away*

[ rinioa ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:58 am
I can understand not wanting to get a LOT of people gift.
If you don't know what to get everyone, then it would be a major headache to try to figure it out.

But it looks like your going to have to move the party to her house.

~knock knock~
Yes? (opens door)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! (said by whole family at door)
~everyone walks in with gifts and food~

Fun party ensues ^.^  

xwhateverxdudex

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:44 am
This year, I did my shopping slowly over the entire year, so I'm on of those people who finished early. xd I could only afford one little gift for everyone this year, so I don't have much wrapping to do. Which is kind of disappointing, actually. sweatdrop But you're right, we should think more about the important stuff. 3nodding Maybe your aunt is just using gifts as an excuse, and she has some other reason for not wanting to come? Either way, you should enjoy your party. 3nodding I would totally come if I lived near you. whee  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:05 pm
Oh... My parents are done Christmas shopping, but I've never done it. I guess I will be soon though since I'm an adult now...  

NeverMore42_6_6_6

Iakun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:35 pm
My Christmas is going to be the most craptacular Christmas since 2001. I can't afford to get anything for anyone and yet I know my cousin is going to expect something from me, nevermind the fact that I'm struggling to pay off my credit with my DADDY'S money.

Christmas shouldn't be all about the gifts but that's what it's become. Christmas being about family togetherness? If you say that and have no gifts, most people think that's only an excuse now not to get gifts. Family togetherness for most families is a major joke. Parents are so disconnected from their kids and kids would rather be going to a Christmas party with booze and their friends. (See past Halloween rants about that "holiday" dying out too) Kids throw a s**t-fit if they don't get a 360 or PS3, completely disconnected from the fact that plenty of people elsewhere don't even know where their next meal is coming from.

I think Christmas is great for people who have an overall good family to begin with so the experience is worth it. But for those people like myself, it's s**t.

Now that my long rant is over, my family tends to finish their gift-buying a couple months before December. lol  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:54 pm
I will go to shopping for Christmas presents when I get home from college. I think my family already did Christmas shopping. I still am in college. I will go to home on December 18th.  

Sweetkitty

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:06 pm

Well, my husband and I have been down the road of being dirt poor. We lived in a shitty roach infested motel for 2 years. *falls over* I can remember the Christmas Days of getting nothing but a candle from the dollar store and maybe a card. ...That's why now...that we are doing better for ourselves...I go all out. 3nodding ...I have been in those bad situations and we've worked our asses to get out of it. 3nodding

My family isn't that big. At least, the family that actually stays together. It's me, my husband, my mom, little brother, my great-aunt, my aunt and her son. That's it. So...it's not like it's a huge bunch of people to buy gifts for anyway. And my great-aunt had already said she was coming but not bringing gifts. I didn't even think about gifts until my mom started going on and on about buying everyone stuff. <******** I know what you mean Iakun about the kids. My little brother is the same. He wants a XBOX because he found out my cousin is getting one. He threw a ******** fit and said if he didn't get one, he'd just steal one. ~_~; WTF? He's 13 years old. It pisses me off how selfish people are nowadays.

Christmas...to me is about people who care about each other being together. (Family, friends...whatever). I just like having people together in a happy setting. I like having "get-togethers" ...I just don't really have any IRL friends to do it with. So, times like Christmas are a huge deal to me because I get to do that.

[ rinioa ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:27 am
I kind of wish I could enjoy Christmas like I used to when I was younger. My family is European so we're at least moderately big. My aunt wants me to attend Christmas dinner but I'm not comfortable with my family. I'm like the black sheep (my sister too).  

Iakun

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:18 am
We only buy gifts for the "immediate" family.
That's me, purple, mom, and dad.

If we get invited somewhere, we'll consider it, but usually we prefer the quite "at home" christmas, where we can do what we want. (besides, big parties equals big messes)

Sure christmas isn't as big for us as it used to be, but we're all used to that.
We just make lists of what we want, in order of priority, and just say "get what you can" (and by "can", I mean price range and findability)
But we always like what we get. Sure we make specific requests, but I'm not going to throw a fit if I don't get it. (and dad's easy to buy for, all he ever wants is dallas cowboy stuff)

Even if we don't spend alot of time together in the same room, we're still in the same house. So if someone feels like it, we just wonder around saying "merry christmas" or just do some random thing. Like suggesting a boardgame or movie. Anyone that wants to join is welcome.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:56 pm
I've known kids like that who insist on getting a specific expensive item by throwing fits and making threats. >< I don't think anyone's ever taught them compassion or sympathy.

We have a lot of relatives, but I wouldn't consider many of them particularly close. I feel closer to friends online. sweatdrop

purpleravenhawk
Captain

aamiller321

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:27 pm

This year is the first year I've bought presents with MY money. And yeah, we got our shopping done in November, and the house is already decorated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:01 am

When I lived with my dad, back when I was a teenager and younger...things were a lot more like everyone else is saying. 3nodding It was hectic and hellish trying to get around on Christmas. I know there were like 12 or so cousins to buy gifts for. I have no idea how any of my dad's side of the family managed that. They're all fairly "lower class" citizens.

I'm sorry about that, Iakun. I think I was considered the Black Sheep in my stepmom's side of the family. @_@; It sucked, I was always being left out and "forgotten" but hey. Life goes on. ^_^;

[ rinioa ]

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:58 am
At the same time, if you want something specific, you have to ask.

Purple spent her entire childhood trying to be the "good girl" and hardly ever asking for anything.
Then when I was born, it seemed to her, that I was getting everything I wanted without being good.

You know the phrase "the squeeky wheel gets the oil" or something like that.

Anyway, now there are things that she wished she had gotten, but mom never knew because purple never asked.

I'm not saying to throw a big fit if you don't get something. I'm saying, you won't have a chance if you don't try. Even if you don't think you'd get it, ask anyway. You might just get lucky.

Like the christmas I asked for a PS3. I seriously didn't think I would get one. But then dad took me to best buy and bought the last one there. Purple was upset at me, because she thought that me so much as asking for one was unreasonable. (due to the pricetag) She thought that I had persuaded mom and dad into getting one for me or something. But I hadn't, I just asked.

I guess you could say that I had REALLY good luck that day.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:29 pm
Dude, you've had really good luck every day of your life. xp And yes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Iakun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:44 pm
I don't think it's out of line asking for a Ps3 for Christmas. That's like one day out of the year you CAN ask for such things lol A request isn't bad. It's only bad when you throw a shitfit over not getting it on the day.

My sister surprised me with my xbox 360. I didn't even ask for it, she just overheard me talking about some games for it that I wanted to play and bought me the whole system! That's a miracle cuz, you know, my sister usually isn't very nice to me.  
Nothing's coming.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff