Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you like Crystal Bearers so far?
  It's amazing!
  It's great, but it has some flaws.
  It's alright. So-so in my books.
  It's not that great.
  It's horrible! It's like it's not even a Crystal Chronicles game.
View Results

palaven
Captain

Quaint Snowfriend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:51 pm
----

With the release of a brand new game, I thought that it might be nice to create one solid storyline discussion, to keep things neat as well as organized and easy to post and read without repeating the same topics.

What do you think of Crystal Bearers? What do you think of the plot? The characters? Any mysteries, theories or predictions about what is to happen in the game?

Post here if you'd like to talk about the story, characters, settings, or any of the plot in the game. Gameplay and other elements of the game are not to be discussed here.

Please refrain from flaming or harassing people. Everyone is allowed to have opinions and ideas, even if you don't agree with them.

----

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:59 pm
Still haven't gotten the game, but I will soon. pending on when i get more money or when the game comes down in price.

The reviews for the games said that game was either bad or meh, which was what i expected since a lot literally a lot of people out there hate the CC series with a passion and would rather die than see it continue (i seen a few FF fans said this).

Well with what i seen so far, the main character Layle looks like a good "down to earth" character that i can probably identify with more than the "pretty boys" of the main FF series. The plot seems interesting, still wanting to know what happen in the war between Lilty and the Yukes.

theres a few thing I'm disappointed in with this game (just hearing description of this, never played it yet) is that you only get to play Layle, besides those beach minigames. I would of prefer to play a Lilty instead. And there's a few more things I'm kinda disappointed in, but thats probably only me in this complaint.  

Yoshikazu

Armed Battery

palaven
Captain

Quaint Snowfriend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:53 pm
Yeah, I'm only two or three hours in and I really don't like the fact that your stuck with this Layle. His character hasn't grown on me yet, that's probably why I'm not really liking it.
He seems really normal, kind of anti-hero-ish. Not the usual 'I must save the world while looking pretty'.

I know, so many things happened before the game that I really want to figure out. The history behind it, I just want to beat it so I can see it all, or at least hear about it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:29 pm
I'm really enjoying this game. The battles are fun, and I always find a new way to defeat my enemies. I also like the references to past games in the series.  

Fallacious Wanderer 3155

ThePersonInFrontOfYou

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:35 pm
I'm probably not gonna get the game, but is the main character likable?

Based on the trailer, he looks like a angsty jerkwad.

"Oh noes I am a crystal bearer, so people hate me for some nondescript reason! I am outcasted from everyone and I don't care about people but I have to save the world that hates me! Also I'm a telepath."

That's the impression I got. I hate jerks like that. You all said he wasn't a pretty boy, but is he really down to earth, or is he trying to hard to avert the pretty boy label, and failing as a result?

The game looks good, it just doesn't look like my cup of tea. But if some war did happen between the Yukes and the Lilties that resulted in the Yukes being wiped out, I'd like to know what it was. Sounds serious. Everything else turned me away.

Again, I'm not saying it's bad. I've never played it, how should I know? It just doesn't look like my kind of game.

If I like what I see in this thread, maybe I'll check it out myself.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:00 pm
just want to confirm something

how does the multiplayer works?
I did hear its just like the Super Mario Galaxy's system where one person contorls the main character and the second player just point at monster stopping them with the telekinesis and stuff

or is the multiplayer just only during those beach minigames?  

Yoshikazu

Armed Battery

palaven
Captain

Quaint Snowfriend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:06 am
@PersoninFront] Yeah, he's a little whiney and a bit of a jerk. As in, that's the only personality I've seen out of him.
The rest of the characters act really cartoony too... It gives me the impression that someone wrote this game for 6 year olds. The characters seem a little too... ehh. I can't find a word for it.

Yeah, that's the only thing aside from the cool gameplay that's keeping me going. I'm such a CC history buff that I just have to know how the Lilties managed to do such a thing.

I like it, mostly for the gameplay, but I'm not in love with it. But I'm only a few hours in. If my opinion doesn't change in 3-4 hours or so, I think I just might drop it. /:

@ YONATHIN3155] I love messing with the system and throwing guys into so many different things. I just love seeing the effect of everything. lol
The references make me giggle, I feel like such a nerd.

@ Yoshikazu] I haven't gotten their yet, but I've been told multiplayer is just for the minigames. When I actually play it myself, I'll let you know how it is. This game would have been so much better if all of it could be played multi. ):

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:59 pm
Random Deviation
@PersoninFront] Yeah, he's a little whiney and a bit of a jerk. As in, that's the only personality I've seen out of him.
The rest of the characters act really cartoony too... It gives me the impression that someone wrote this game for 6 year olds. The characters seem a little too... ehh. I can't find a word for it.

Too square-typical? One-dimensional? Contrived?

The kind of thing that makes you say "I don't care how amazing your backstory is, or how much your life sucks. If you don't visibly grow in front of me as the game progresses, you bore me to death and I hate your guts."

I'm feeling very pessimistic today. Maybe it's because I know that the best Wii game ever has already been made, and nothing will top it and all of it's cel-shaded, Japanese myth-inspired glory. Especially not Square's weak attempt to appeal to two audiences at once.

Whoops. There I go. Thou shalt not complain about games you don't play.  

ThePersonInFrontOfYou

Wheezing Wench

palaven
Captain

Quaint Snowfriend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:31 pm
Best Wii game ever...? No More Heroes? lol I thought Okami was a PS2 game.

I haven't really seen any backstory. Or character development. Or any character, really. I'm really particular with my storylines and characters, especially with Square since they do so well with the other games.

I'm pretty disappointed with this game storyline-wise, but that might change. I'm still loving the gameplay though.

lol Maybe play through some of it first? Though I agree completely.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:56 am
The game is amazing as far as gameplay and ideas, some of the minigame ideas were retarded. I hate Belle's guts . . she's hella annoying. I don't mind Layle.

If they would've held onto the game a bit longer to develop the characters more, maybe put in an opion to have Japanese VA with English Sub. The option to play as a 'layle' of another gender.

Like in Mass Effect you can choose to make your main character male or female. And your romantic interests change. So if Layle was female 'her' interest could've been Keiss. It works out either way because Belle and Keiss are both Selkies.

And I like how you can change the emblem on his jacket but what about other accessories! I wanted to dress him in something different, perhaps dye his hair . . and perhaps give him some other clothes besides his default jacket/pants/shirt/etc ensemble.

That's another b***h. In the other FFCC games you could choose your race and gender. At least give us that much! Be consistant!  

Mushitaki

Business Tycoon

8,475 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Wall Street 200

ThePersonInFrontOfYou

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:50 am
Random Deviation
Best Wii game ever...? No More Heroes? lol I thought Okami was a PS2 game.

I haven't really seen any backstory. Or character development. Or any character, really. I'm really particular with my storylines and characters, especially with Square since they do so well with the other games.

I'm pretty disappointed with this game storyline-wise, but that might change. I'm still loving the gameplay though.

lol Maybe play through some of it first? Though I agree completely.

I have the Wii version of Okami. It's as godly as its subject matter. mrgreen

To be honest, I've been very disappointed with the Wii. But that's a topic for another thread.

Once I'm done with Okami, Maybe I'll give Crystal Bearers a rent. But from what I see here, and from what I've heard elsewhere, it seems so steeped in that Square-variety mile thick verboseness that I've really come to hate in recent years.

The original Crystal Chronicles was really a gem when it came to story presentation. It didn't need backstory or development exposition. For the most part, anyway. You could just make judgments for yourself based on what you saw and heard. You know, like in real life. Unlike most JRPGs, where everything exists for the sake of plot, FFCC actually felt like it's own three-dimensional world. Who needs boring monologues when you can feel special by coming to a conclusion yourself?

That's what I thought, anyway.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:31 pm
lol Yes, let's try to stay on topic. Be my guest if you want to make a Wii thread on the OT board though. (:

Yeah, I think it wasn't worth my buy, but a rent can't hurt.

The original was truly unique in that aspect. It really didn't need much for cutscenes or dialogue, the story still made sense with those little chance encounters and the ending and all. No one needed to explain it, you made sense of it yourself. That's something I really loved about it, and I really miss. They should have really kept that, or at least make another CC that integrates that system.

Bah, I'm going a little offtopic. Oops.

palaven
Captain

Quaint Snowfriend

MarineForceReconSniper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:21 am
I beat the game with the clear game data... It leaves a lot of info out when you first go through it... but then again thats what all of the others had done... you had to go through it at least a second or third time before you got all the information... when you do the clear data game it helps shed a lot of light on a ton of things, like the war between the lilties and yukes, the whole crystal method and principle, and why(SPOILER->) the crystals are turning red again (<-SPOILER)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:34 am
Sorry, had to fix that for you. I prefer if spoilers are in white, so that people can't accidently read them. I hope you don't mind.

Games are usually like that for me too, I'm lucky enough if I can get through a game once and understand it all.

palaven
Captain

Quaint Snowfriend

MarineForceReconSniper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:28 pm
no problem at all ^^  
The Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers