Welcome to Gaia! ::

Byako, City of Everything

Back to Guilds

Byako, the city of everything. A city hundreds of miles in size where anything can and does happy on a daily basis Join the random sillyness 

Tags: plushie, city, random, silly, Byako 

Reply Byako, City of Everything Main Forum
I'm Gonna Be The Mane Event! : Updated! 8/8/10 Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

delbosque
Vice Captain

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 pm
The Mane Event: Intro

The Contest:
Her Royal Ladyship the Dowager Grand High Duchess Arlen-Arell Pshaw'warrie of FerroRoof Hall d'Contessori wishes to retire from being queen, before her 100th birthday! However, she has run out of known heirs, oh no! Therefore, it has been decreed throughout all of Byako that she will choose an heir from amongst the nobility! For her to make a properly informed decision, candidates for potential successors must introduce themselves at the palace and then take part in a series of challenges to prove their fitness for the throne! These challenges will be a combination of Questions that must be answered, and Tasks that must be completed. Points will be awarded for both RP skill as determined by our three judges, and for luck in dice-rolling. The queen will select the candidate who amasses the most points by the end of the event.

The Reward:
Whomsoever the queen chooses shall be crowned ruler of Byako's aristocracy, and will obtain control of the following areas:
The Palace! Formerly Darke Manor, now it is home to the monarchy! Fancily refurnished and complete with throne!
Tesarel Mountain-side town and lovely vacation destination, said to be a great place to hunt flying fish!
Rich Side Home to many a rich aristocrat, both titled and un-titled, rumored to also be a burgler-magnet!

The Manner of Entry into the Event:
This contest will be open to all guild members of Byako the City of Everything! Contestants should enroll themselves between January 10 and January 31 (2010) by doing the following:
1. Either use a character you have who can claim some sort of noble aristocratic heritage, or make a new character who can make that sort of claim and post their profile in the profiles thread.
2. RP your character over to the Palace to make an entrance and introduce themselves.
3. Prepare to have both your RPing and your luck tested!

Please review the rules, instructions and guidelines post for a better idea of what you're getting yourself (and your character) into! XD  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:54 pm
rules, instructions, guidelines

Rules:
*the judges will be: delbosque, Jasae Bushae, and Claire-chii Vincent deVars.
*Whatever character you enter must have a profile in the profiles thread, somewhere where I can find it. It's recommended you also post a link to your profile in this thread.
*Your character must have some kind of claim to nobility, and be fully prepared to prove to the queen and her entourage that (s)he is qualified to become the next monarch of Byako's nobility.
*Have fun and play nice with the other contestants.
*Be respectful of the judges and participants, especially in your comments in this thread.
*Contestants must enroll themselves before January 31 (2010).
*You must post for a Question or Task in order to get points for it. Once a Question or Task is announced in the RP threads and in this thread, it is too late to post for the previous Question or Task.
*If you know you won't have time to post a dice roll for a Task on the appointed day, you may PM me ahead of time and designate someone as a second, authorized to post a dice roll for you. Your second may not be a judge or another participant, and must state in their post that they're rolling on your behalf. If you need a second but don't have anyone who can be a second for you, PM me about it anyway.
*Questions must be your own character's answer to the question, and seconds will not be allowed to answer for you. You will have a couple days for each question, and the answers do not need to be long ones. If you know in advance that you will have a problem getting online to post an answer, PM me before the question is posted.
*There will be a regular schedule for Questions and Tasks. See the post on schedule and scoring for details.
*The mane event also accepts comic, recorded, claymation, animated and puppet show entries.

Instructions:
*Contestants must enroll themselves before January 31 (2010). Enrollment starts on January 10. You can begin entering your characters before then, but I will not be making note of entrants until the official enrollment start date.

How to participate in the contest:
1. Either use a character you have who can claim some sort of noble aristocratic heritage, or make a new character who can make that sort of claim and post their profile in the profiles thread.
(it is recommended you also post a link to your profile in this thread when you announce your candidacy)
2. RP your character over to the Palace to make an entrance and introduce themselves.
3. Post your answers to Questions and dice rolls for Tasks on the appointed days for them.
4. There will be one Question each week requiring you to make up an answer for your character to RP a reply.
5. There will be 3 Tasks each week requiring you to post a dice roll which will determine how well your character does in completing the Task.
6. Additionally, characters representing the judges are allowed to randomly ask the contestants interview questions, for which they can award 1 bonus point at a time if they like the answer.
7. Post out-of-character questions and comments in this thread.

Guidelines:
*The Byako nobility is not only very aristocratic, but also rather silly... your character ought to be able to prove they can not only fit in with, but also lead this group.
My personal recommendations:
Someone capable of being very foppish and absurd,
Self-important, but able to flatter others.
Who can make trivial things seem important,
And can treat the gravest matters as if they’re not.
*This contest is set up to reward good RPing, creativity, and cleverness. However, we don't want it to be a simple contest of who the judges like best. Hence the Tasks which will use dice rolls to determine how well your character does in completing various activities related to acting like aristocratic nobility qualified for the monarchy of Byako.
*Pay attention to where the RP goes. It will start out in the Palace, but from there will go to some other locations in Byako. Post questions here in this thread if you get confused.
*It will be assumed that all the participants or others tagging along travel in one big group all together, even if you don't specifically post that your characters follow along. However, it is preferred that you RP your character coming and going and most definitely you should be RPing the results of your characters' efforts to complete the required tasks.
*Non-competing characters such as random spectators, aristocrats, mascots, lackeys, friends or relatives of characters are welcome to tag along with the group as part of the RP.

(Please note that winning control of the three areas offered as the prize for this contest implies responsibility to look after them and make them fun places for other people to come RP with you and each other.)
(Please also note that the monarch has no real power outside of influence over Byako's aristocratic nobility in the three areas offered as prizes for this contest.)

delbosque
Vice Captain

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150

delbosque
Vice Captain

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:55 pm
schedule and scoring details

Schedule:
This contest will run for 8 rounds of Questions and Tasks, and then afterwards we will have a coronation and banquet!

Each round should go as follows:
One week, we will announce a Question for the contestants to RP an answer to. They will have all week to RP it and also RP additional interactions with other characters.
The following week, we will announce the judges' results for the Question, and have a series of three Tasks which the contestants will have to roll dice for.
The tasks are supposed to be announced each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with two days allowed for each one.
At the end of that week, results will be added up and the following week will start the next round with another Question.

Scoring:
Questions:
There will be three judges.
Each judge will rank the participants in order of whose responses they like most to least. (1-X depending on number of participants)
The rankings will be added up and the participant with the ranking closest to 1 will receive 30 points.
The runner-up will receive 10 points. (if two or more are tied for the runner-up spot, they will each get 10 points)
In the event that two or more participants are tied for the winning spot for that Question, all participants so tied will receive 20 points each, with no runners-up.
Additionally, each judge's favorite response to each Question will be awarded 1 bonus point, whether they place for other points or not.
And... whoever ranks absolute last place in the scoring for each Question after the judges' rankings are added all together gets 1 pity point.

Tasks:
After each Task is announced, each participant must roll 1-10, either one (1) 10-sided die, or a random number 1-10.
10 is considered 100% successful at the task,
5 is 50% success,
1 is total fail.
The number rolled is exactly how many points that person will receive for that Task.
(please RP how things went for you after rolling)

Bonus:
Each judge also has the option of awarding 1 point to 1 contestant, each Task.
This is clearly favoritism, and should be a reflection of what RPing the judge likes most, and should be awarded for examples of RPing that is very fun, clever, creative, well-written, etc.
It is not expected that every judge will award a bonus point for every Task, and it is hoped that each judge will not award such bonus points to the same individual every time.

Additional Bonuses: In the RP, characters representing the 3 judges (delbosque, Jasae Bushae, and Claire-chii Vincent deVars) will be allowed to go around asking the contestants interview questions, with the option of the judges awarding 1 point at a time for each question they really like the answers to. This is intended to be another way of rewarding people for good RPing and for their characters demonstrating that they are qualified to take over the rule of Byako's aristocracy.

And... at the end of each round, whoever has the lowest total score will receive 1 point.
If two or more participants are tied for last place, each will receive 1 point.

Any questions about the point system? You can post in this thread and request clarification.

Additionally: One bonus point will be awarded to the first entrant to do ALL of the following three things:
to have posted a link to their profile in this thread,
and to have posted their character's introduction at the palace
AND who correctly posts a comment in this thread saying where this contest's title "The Mane Event" comes from.
(please be very specific)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:56 pm
Current Rankings (as of April 25, 2010):
179...Batim
147...Sousha Metsu
144...Lady Tahassia
136...Rooj Ruler
119...Sir Madam
114...Lord Sithious

52...Eveangelen Nicole Rose (dropped out)

List of Contestants (in order of introduction, updated Feb. 3):
Sir Madam--Faulty Ambition
Lord Sithious--Lord Sithious
Sousha Metsu--Gracesan
Rooj Ruler--Fuzzy Mitten Mistress
Eveangelen Nicole Rose--Eveangelen
Lady Tahassia Segorge--Naris_malem
Batim--BlazingDan  

delbosque
Vice Captain

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150

delbosque
Vice Captain

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:57 pm
Guidelines/Suggestions for the current Question/Task:
((a portion of the previous note is being kept here for now, for the reference of any possible latecomers))

Character Introductions!

Assume that each character gets a chance to make an entrance while everyone else respectfully allows them a chance to speak up and introduce themselves.
How would your character go about it? Please RP well. There's no need to make really long posts for this... no one gets points for length, just for RP skill and how much your character can play the part as determined by the judges.

General suggestion: Characters should appear important and regal, but not overly serious.

Remember that for Tasks, you roll either one 10-sided die, or generate a random number from 1 to 10. Whatever you roll should be considered an indication of your character's success at the Task, and it will also be the number of points you will be awarded for the Task. Please RP the results, remember your character will not be 100% successful at it unless you roll a 10, a 5 is considered 50%.

Also: remember that Claire-chii Vincent deVars is one of our judges and wants to find out more about out contestants, and may award bonus points.

NOW CURRENT:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:59 pm
Contest FAQs

Q: Can I join the contest late?
A: Yes... but you'd have to catch up, you wouldn't be able to go back and do all the Tasks and Questions you already missed by coming in late. I think it'd be seriously fun if someone did try to catch up, though. XD

Q: Is Sombras_de_Foresta ever coming back to the RP?
A: She said she would.

Q: Is delbosque insane?
A: Most likely.  

delbosque
Vice Captain

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150

delbosque
Vice Captain

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:13 pm
Announcements Appended to the rules:

Official Announcement:

The following is a verbatim copy of a PM sent out to all Mane Event contestants on Friday, April 16 of 2010.

It is being posted here so that even if for some reason someone did not get the PM, it will still be accessible to them here.

Read this between April 16 and April 23!
Dear Contestants:
I keep checking up on the event RP, and it always seems to me that there are contestants who have rolled and may or may not have worked on RPing their rolls, and also people who have asked questions and answers have been posted, but they have not posted anything since then. And I have been having difficulty figuring out which of you are finished RPing for the current task, and which of you are not planning on doing anything more and are just waiting for the next thing.
I really really don’t like to leave people behind, but we need to move forward with the contest anyway.
So, here follows some announcements about the contest, please read over them all.

1. I do not have time to update everything AND also send out PMs to everyone, every time we start a new task or question. That is what the contest announcement thread is for. Please plan on checking that thread and the RP at least once a week. I always post notes in both places about different parts of the contest beginning and ending, and I regularly check them for new posts. I also make sure that all awarded points are noted in the contest announcement thread. I will probably still send out PMs if there is an important non-routine announcement such as a change in location for the RP, but plan on keeping yourself updated as much as you can, please please please.

2. I will be putting a note into the title of the contest announcement thread which will state when there have been important updates.

3. We will be keeping to the schedule, even if that means some people might be left behind and miss out on opportunities to get points. The schedule allows for one week in which to answer each Question, followed by one week which will have three (3) Tasks to complete, followed by another week for the next Question, and so on alternating. And considering the total amounts of points we’re dealing with, missing a Task here or there should not be all that big of a thing to be concerned over, just hit as many as you can.

4. The next round will start next week. You have until I update things on Monday April 19, to finish RPing for the polo game. On Monday April 19, The next round will start with the next Question. You will all have one week (April 19 - 24) to write up your RP responses to the question, and to do any additional RPing you may want to do, conversing with other characters and so on.

5. In addition to all the other possible ways to earn points, I am adding one more. Each contestant will also receive one (1) bonus point for every task they actually make RP posts for. In order to receive the point for it, you must have your RP posted before the task is officially over. Also, you will not get the full point when you begin to RP and then very obviously do not finish, as is the case if you RP something about your character preparing to attempt a Task, but you leave out saying what happens during the actual attempt. I intend to award half-points for only RPing halfway.

6. As stated in the new schedule, each task will be alloted Two (2) days for rolling and RP. That is so that even if you cannot be online every day, you can still at least roll for every task if you make it onto Gaia every other day. You will still receive the points you rolled even if you do not have time to RP.

7. I am not going to roll for anyone anymore, unless people tell me ahead of time that they will be completely unable to roll for a particular task, and specifically ask me to roll for them. Also, as stated in the rules, if you have designated someone else to roll for you and notified me beforehand, then they may post a roll on your behalf.

8. There will be no rolling for Tasks after I have posted that the task is over. You can write a catch-up RP post about things you missed if you wish to do so, but if it is posted after the Task has officially ended then you will not be getting points for that Task. Likewise, if your post in response to a Question is posted after the Question has been officially declared to be over, then your post will not be considered in the judging for that Question.

9. Last of all, if you have read this entire message, then please PM me back with a short and simple note saying that you have read and acknowledge these announcements, so that I can be sure that you know what is going on. (you can also, as always, reply with questions, but please still include a note that you did read all of the announcements here so that I know you read this far) Everyone who does so before April 24, will receive 100 bonus points. Yes, I said One Hundred. It is a high number for a reason. It’s so that everyone who cares enough to have read all of this and take a moment to let me know they have done so, is basically saying they still want to be included in the contest. If anyone does not bother to do so, I expect they don’t care enough to be a real contender and then I think it’s only fair if they are left behind when everyone who does care jumps ahead by 100 points. Just in case someone has a valid reason for not reading and replying tho this message by the end of next week (by April 24) I will award half points (that is, 50.) to anyone who replies to this message the following week… which is the week of April 25 through May 1. After that, the points awarded for replying to this message will be cut by half again and again each and every week, from 50 down to 25, then half of that, etc.

10. I am going to be posting a copy of these announcements in the contest announcements thread, and a note in the RP thread stating that there are new announcements and that people should check the contest announcements thread for them. This is just to cover my bases and make sure that even if people for any reason have trouble finding this PM, they can still get the announcements if they are regularly checking for new announcement posts.

Thank you in advance to everyone who reads this entire message, and to all you who have stuck with me in my efforts to learn/figure out how to run a contest like this, and all who are willing to stick with this contest and still compete for the three areas offered as a prize.

-delbosque

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:35 pm
*reserved for anything else I might think is needed here*  

delbosque
Vice Captain

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Faulty Ambition

Beloved Smoker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:48 am
Presenting, Sir Madam.

And the thread title comes from the line of the song I Just Can't Wait to Be King, sung by Simba in the Lion King.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:39 am
Oh, is it really? *innocent look*  

SombraDelSol

Jasae Bushae
Captain

2,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:05 am
alsoness i would like to mention that the mane event also accepts comic, recorded, claymation, animated and puppet show entries :3  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:58 pm
Yes, and I will also be updating the rules here before we officially start to include two additional things:

1. The 3 judges will officially be as follows: delbosque, Jasae Bushae, and Claire-chii Vincent deVars.

2. In the RP, characters representing the 3 judges will be allowed to go around asking the contestants interview questions, with the option of the judges awarding 1 point at a time for each question they really like the answers to.  

delbosque
Vice Captain

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150

delbosque
Vice Captain

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:00 pm
btw, Faulty, is that a basket on your head?

XD  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:42 am
It is the most expensive basket I have ever owned.  

Faulty Ambition

Beloved Smoker

delbosque
Vice Captain

Otherworldly Allegiant

14,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:21 am
Heh heh heh.  
Byako, City of Everything Main Forum