Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
God will bring peace to earth Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Cats Curiosity

Beloved Gekko

7,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:40 am
Quote:
God will bring peace to us all

Then why hasn't he?
That's a direct quote from one of my friends.
In "peace" you mean when we enslave blacks and take away freedom.
Which on do you think the bible allows:
This or This

Quote:
Religion doesn't bring suffering.

Sure it doesn't.

Your thoughts? Anything you'd like to add.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:17 am
" Religion does not bring suffering. "
By religion, I will also bring any kind of belief system into this.

Scientology -
Scientology has been known to be a funny religious church, when really...it is serious. Scientology is a ruthless cult and has been known to drain the pockets of its followers, turning them homeless and some have even lost their lives. MANY have lost their lives.
A video on a few deaths and facts are here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0heJlRGjLg

Scientology has also been known to kill a man named Shawn Lonsdale, a man known to be making a documentary to expose the cult.
Shawn was known to cause 'suicide' in the middle of his documentary, found dead with serious burns from his bath water.
Anonymous has discovered this and has made a view videos, I find this one the most informing and the one that sounds the coolest. =3
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0heJlRGjLg

Christianity-
As America was being discovered by James Oglethorpe, there was a 4th reason on why they went their: religion.
They wanted to spread their beliefs to others in this new world, and this caused much pain and deaths.
If you want to bring the Bible into this, let us not forget the many careless mistakes that God has made from faulty creations to mass Genocide.
Let's not forget the people who believe God hates fags and is killing soldiers to show his hatred of America's 'sins'.
Or as I call it, the freedom that we have today. Mostly.

Islam-
Even though I am a man who believes the Twin Towers was a hoax and is no where close to the news story, I will still say that Islam is a pretty dangerous religion. Offering your life with the chance to obtain many virgins is one heck of a deal in my book. However, I can't find Islam as dangerous as others like Scientology atleast.

Christianism-
I'm sure if you believe your belief is higher than any other belief, your bound to somehow be violent in a way.

Christianity in 1950-
The Red Scare act was pushed to show how bad-a** America was and that it could turn into a Theocracy in a second.
or as they say:
" We plan to scare those godless communist from their fox-holes. "
So now we face a time where no one cares how Christianity was nationally added to our currency and anthem.

Maoism-
Although this isn't exactly a religion, it has brought suffering.
In China, a couple centuries ago, a man believed China should become an old country and follow traditional ways.
AKA, downgrade technology.
When this came, so did the Taiwanese Square and the Martial Law act came into view.

Belief in Witches-
People who use to believe in witches, even long ago, would accuse anyone of being a witch.
Had a special idea no one knew about and you thought of it?
Your a** was going on the public bonfire.
You were a woman he disobeyed your husband?
Sounds like witchery...
and people are still hurting today because of this belief, which can be found in Africa as children are tortured and killed for being accused of being witches and wizards.

Those were from the top of my head.
Can't remember any other ideas.

OH! I know.

Leo Frank Case-
Decades ago, a man named Leo Frank, who worked for a pencil company, was charged for the murder and possible sexual violation of a 13-year-old girl. Even though there was no evidence to prove Leo guilty, there were two problems.

1.) A janitor of the pencil company testified, only saying Leo did do it.
2.) Leo was Jewish in America. and, as I recall, Jews were despised back in those times of the in the early 1900s.

Due to the lack of evidence, however, they changed his sentence from Death Row to life in jail. Citizens, outraged by this, bailed him out and hung him behind the murdered girl's house.
Google 'Leo Frank Case' if you want some extras details on this.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:24 am
" God will bring peace to us all. "
Then why hasn't he?
Infact, if he wasn't so damn careless with his work, he wouldn't need to save us. He screwed up with creating humans because of that Fruit of Knowledge incident.
He really screwed up with creating Angels when Lucifer came to be.
I bet he REALLY screwed up after creating hell.
He has caused global genocide, Noah's Ark, and was displeased knowing he did something wrong.
( If your omnipotent, you wouldn't cause something to be wrong in the first place. )
and, to give a reward in apology for his mistake, he creates a rainbow.
Try telling me a rainbow was worth it the next time you explain Noah's Ark to me and remember the Trillions of dead bodies of different animals and humans that lay scattered across the globe due to the constant downpour.

Then, after promising not to do it again, He destroys the city of Sodamy.
I'm sure there are PLENTY more to add but I'm sure your friend will get my point.

If God wanted to help us, he would have done it before even creating us.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:14 am
Captain_Shinzo
Then why hasn't he?
Infact, if he wasn't so damn careless with his work, he wouldn't need to save us. He screwed up with creating humans because of that Fruit of Knowledge incident.
He has caused global genocide, Noah's Ark, and was displeased knowing he did something wrong.
( If your omnipotent, you wouldn't cause something to be wrong in the first place. )
Try telling me a rainbow was worth it the next time you explain Noah's Ark to me and remember the Trillions of dead bodies of different animals and humans that lay scattered across the globe due to the constant downpour.

I'm sure there are PLENTY more to add but I'm sure your friend will get my point.

1. You a dude?
2. Holy s**t I think you're too smart for your own good.
It pissed me off when the noah arc thing happened. And what's unexplainable is how he made the arc in so little time that supposedly held two of every animal when today we're still discovering animals.  

A Cats Curiosity

Beloved Gekko

7,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Mark Twain 100

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:35 am
Lady Kitteh
Captain_Shinzo
Then why hasn't he?

1. You a dude?
2. Holy s**t I think you're too smart for your own good.
It pissed me off when the noah arc thing happened. And what's unexplainable is how he made the arc in so little time that supposedly held two of every animal when today we're still discovering animals.

1. Irrelevant but yes, I am.
2. No, I'm just the average Atheist. x3

The whole story is unexplainable. Like where all the water came from, all the animals just walking there, why God tortured him to make a damn boat when God himself could have just poofed it like the water, how the animals survived 40 days on the ship, and how the earth was repopulated.
Some say it was because there were multiple arcs but you can't just alter the Bible...that just states it was wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:20 pm
The concept of god was created by humans. To anyone with any sense at all, it is obvious that every religion pertrays a god that is either human-like in apperance, human like in personality, or both. Because the base nature of human beings is to be egotistic and self(by self I mean human) centered.

Well take the christian god which is more widely known in America. The bible reads that people were created in god's image. Some nice reverse psychology that basically translates to me as humans created god in their own image. I have some theories on why they did that other than the usual egotism, but that will be later. Also, the god character in the book displays a lot of human emotions. "Anger" "Jealosy", etc. And the things that god does in the book are carried out in a very human fashion, if you really pay attention.

So what does this have to do with the main topic at hand? Human beings are flawed. The gods created by humans are human-like and therefore flawed. Humans have done little more than destroy the world little by little, creating wars and discriminating against eachother. How could a god, that also has prejudices(and flaws), create world peace? Well, short of killing all the non-believers from every other religion or actually proving it's existance.

MemoriesThatKill

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 pm
Captain_Shinzo
He destroys the city of Sodamy.

Sodom. wink He also destroyed Gomorrah at the same time.

I'm just correcting you so some Christian doesn't latch onto that and ignore everything else you say, which is well-reasoned and sound as far as I can tell. I've had much the same thoughts, in fact. The contradiction between an omniscient, omnipotent, and omni-benevolent god and the cruel, disgusting, EVIL world we live in was just irreconcilable to me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:16 pm
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo

I'm just correcting you so some Christian doesn't latch onto that and ignore everything else you say, which is well-reasoned and sound as far as I can tell. I've had much the same thoughts, in fact. The contradiction between an omniscient, omnipotent, and omni-benevolent god and the cruel, disgusting, EVIL world we live in was just irreconcilable to me.

Thanks. When you do research and your words get mixed up, you tend to get yelled at, yes. ^^'
But this did occur to me.
A Christian has tried to tell me that God did not create sin but it is human's choice. I had to post back saying
'But if God ALLOWED this choice, doesn't that mean he created sin?'
A reply has not been received yet.

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:25 pm
Quote:
Maoism-
In China, a couple centuries ago, a man believed China should become an old country and follow traditional ways.
When this came, so did the Taiwanese Square and the Martial Law act came into view.

Maoism came into existence in the 1950's...
And none of what you've said has anything to do with Maoism anyway...

Quote:
Belief in Witches-
People who use to believe in witches, even long ago, would accuse anyone of being a witch.
Sounds like witchery...
and people are still hurting today because of this belief, which can be found in Africa as children are tortured and killed for being accused of being witches and wizards.

I'd like to direct you to this wonderful article about witch trials in Europe.

Quote:
All pre-modern European societies believed in magick. As far as we can tell, all passed laws prohibitting magickal crimes. Pagan Roman law and the earliest Germanic and Celtic law codes all contain edicts that punish people who cast baneful spells. This is only common sense: a society that believes in the power of magick will punish people who abuse that power.

I would go so far as to strike out the first 'European' from that paragraph, so that it reads 'All pre-modern societies believed in magick.' The problem isn't a belief in witches, but in the shockingly backward state of the local african societies, determined by economies which have been starved, pillaged, and otherwise taken advantage of by European/North American powers.

/off topic  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:32 pm
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo

Thanks. When you do research and your words get mixed up, you tend to get yelled at, yes. ^^'
A Christian has tried to tell me that God did not create sin but it is human's choice. I had to post back saying

They'll probably say that he didn't create it, but he allowed it. "God is the champion of freedom" or some such nonsense, though he apparently also has a plan for all of us...

What you have to ask then is why he created something with the capability to sin. You can say "free will" all you want, but all the free will in the world isn't going to suddenly make me even capable of ever fathoming the math of modern astrophysics. It's just not in my nature; even if I studied it all my life I doubt I would reach the level of Stephen Hawkings. So why was sin in Adam and Eve's nature? Free will, yes, but how is that will determined? Electrochemical synapses that God created, which react and learn from the environment that God created. Whether you like it or not, the Christian story is that God had every input into every characteristic of humanity. And one of those characteristics is the capability to sin.

God may have not created the sin in Adam and Eve, (Arguable considering the fact that he also created the Serpent) but you can't argue that he created the capability to sin, just as he didn't create the capability to fly. (Which was rather lame of him, if you ask me)  

Lethkhar

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:39 pm
Gracchia Saint-Justine
Quote:
Maoism-

Maoism came into existence in the 1950's...
And none of what you've said has anything to do with Maoism anyway...

Quote:
Belief in Witches-
Sounds like witchery...

I'd like to direct you to this wonderful article about witch trials in Europe.

Quote:
All pre-modern European societies believed in magick. As far as we can tell, all passed laws prohibitting magickal crimes. Pagan Roman law and the earliest Germanic and Celtic law codes all contain edicts that punish people who cast baneful spells. This is only common sense: a society that believes in the power of magick will punish people who abuse that power.

I would go so far as to strike out the first 'European' from that paragraph, so that it reads 'All pre-modern societies believed in magick.' The problem isn't a belief in witches, but in the shockingly backward state of the local african societies, determined by economies which have been starved, pillaged, and otherwise taken advantage of by European/North American powers.

/off topic

Again, due to the crap information I get from books at the library, I have small errors again in my work.

For Maoism, I may have mistaken such definition for another definition extremely close to such word, due to the books I'm reading can't stay on a time-line worth a damn.

For the Witch topic, I was actually using the the "burning on a bonfire" as an exaggeration and just comparing it to the myths and assumptions of the constant stories of 'witches' being burned. I should probably be careful with my wording, however. ^^;;

As for your last topic, that is understandable. However, the post I made was NOT to involve religion but belief systems, which involved such.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:40 pm
If he is suppose to bring us peace why is this world being like this there is never peace so how may one man bring peace when 1,000,000 can't it is all a joke.
Just like when Noah and the ark how come everyone else died and the animals lived and some people that really confuses me that is why I believe this "god" just picks sertain people he loves an lies about him saying he loves everyone.
Most people I believe know that God does not exist but they will do all they can to make it seem like they do and make people who don't believe seem like evil people.
It just makes me very mad!!  

Imperfect_Elegance

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:56 pm
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo
Lethkhar
Captain_Shinzo

They'll probably say that he didn't create it, but he allowed it. "God is the champion of freedom" or some such nonsense, though he apparently also has a plan for all of us...

What you have to ask then is why he created something with the capability to sin. You can say "free will" all you want, but all the free will in the world isn't going to suddenly make me even capable of ever fathoming the math of modern astrophysics. It's just not in my nature; even if I studied it all my life I doubt I would reach the level of Stephen Hawkings. So why was sin in Adam and Eve's nature? Free will, yes, but how is that will determined? Electrochemical synapses that God created, which react and learn from the environment that God created. Whether you like it or not, the Christian story is that God had every input into every characteristic of humanity. And one of those characteristics is the capability to sin.

God may have not created the sin in Adam and Eve, (Arguable considering the fact that he also created the Serpent) but you can't argue that he created the capability to sin, just as he didn't create the capability to fly. (Which was rather lame of him, if you ask me)

I have heard all these damn stories about how powerful God is.
" God can live OUTSIDE of the universe and time. "
" God is able to create matter, mass, and energy with a single queef. "
" God has created such glorious things on this planet! "

No matter how you look at it, if you say that God is going to save everyone, then you also imply that God is fixing what he did wrong.
God not only formed Satan, but allowed him to live, built his house, and even payed his rent. * AKA the 'sinful' souls. *

God blamed Adam and Eve for committing evil when they knew nothing of morality what-so-ever and were not explained what evil was.

God likes to play favorites. * AKA Jesus *

I mean, really, next time someone goes
" Look at that beautiful rainbow. I can't believe God created such wonderful things... "

I'm blurting out:

" Hey, look at that kid in his late stages of malignant cancer. I can't believe God allowed all the bad things... "

If you look back through Christian history, God can be known as the most backwards hypocritical being created by humans. He is omnipotent yet imperfect. He is unforgiving. He loves his son Jesus more then his daughters/sons, humans. He will go against his word to get his way and caused genocide for things that we would only frown upon today.
Adultery is worse then ***** sex. God pretty much tells you how to live and gives you morals without explaining why these morals are even existent.
" Why can't thou touch thyself, meh'Lord? "
I never knew why God hated that. I also don't understand why Adam and Eve were considered evil because they were aware they were naked. God made them that way, why would he just make sure they knew? I don't get this...
By all means, God was the first ever dictator in Bibliographical terms.

and one can argue that he DID create original sin because he created Adam and Eve naked. Because of this, he did create sin.

God fails at what he does, and it sounds like he does not hold the responsibility to take care of an entire universe let alone
0.00000000000000000009% of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:26 pm
Quote:
As for your last topic, that is understandable. However, the post I made was NOT to involve religion but belief systems, which involved such.

You will also note that I made no mention of religion, either, but referred to a particular belief you mentioned, that being belief in witches, and identified it as common to "all pre-modern societies."

Quote:
God blamed Adam and Eve for committing evil when they knew nothing of morality what-so-ever and were not explained what evil was.

Actually, they ate from the 'tree of knowledge of good and evil,' so they did know. They covered up their nakedness because they now understood it to be shameful. I guess one could compare, for example, the thoughts of a dog, and then shooting it with some sci-fi ray-gun that gives it the mind of a mature inhabitant of an advanced capitalist society. All of a sudden, it will be embarassed that it's junk is hanging out.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:55 pm
Gracchia Saint-Justine
Quote:

You will also note that I made no mention of religion, either, but referred to a particular belief you mentioned, that being belief in witches, and identified it as common to "all pre-modern societies."

Quote:

Actually, they ate from the 'tree of knowledge of good and evil,' so they did know. They covered up their nakedness because they now understood it to be shameful. I guess one could compare, for example, the thoughts of a dog, and then shooting it with some sci-fi ray-gun that gives it the mind of a mature inhabitant of an advanced capitalist society. All of a sudden, it will be embarassed that it's junk is hanging out.

Last Topic quote-
I'm just noting that I was talking of belief systems and not religion. I never stated you were talking of religion. ^^'

Adam and Eve-
They did eat from the tree. However, I never agreed with the story and it has confused me because of this. It seems to me like the story is saying that knowledge is evil...or something...

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff