Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Where to start? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:40 pm
I have been studying the Occult in various forms for the better part of 4 years (everything from outer court wicca, to chaos magic, to the Goetia)

While I have STUDIED the stuff, I have almost no practical experience. I have never performed a spell or anything. (Most of the stuff I go on about is based on things I read, or things that sound right to me, so take what I say with a grain of salt.)

So my question to you is, how should I start (or how did you start)?

I'm looking for a good entry point to the actual practice of the occult.

I have books on all kinds of Ceremonial Magic, Low Magic, Sigilization, etc.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:59 am
I would say start with the basics. Start with meditation and build from there. I have been doing the same thing for a while, but I sprinkle in exercises as I go.  

Cunning Witch Angus

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:34 pm
Well, of course Meditation is a major prerequisite. I meant, when you actually get into the actual meat and potatoes of it, where's a good place to start?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:57 pm
-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
Well, of course Meditation is a major prerequisite. I meant, when you actually get into the actual meat and potatoes of it, where's a good place to start?

Like spell work? Where are you going with this?

First of all I would say pick a system here. Do you want to take the path of a Ceremonial Magician? Or do you want to start seeking as a Seeker of the Wica? Perhaps you just want to try being a little Chaotic so why not go with Chaos magic? Or do you want just general eclectic witchcraft?  

Cunning Witch Angus

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:59 pm
Why not try out a small spell? Or try some candle magic. With all your reading I'm sure you have come across various ways to write out a spell.
Don't take on anything major but if you want to start practicing and getting in to things, I'd just write out a spell and try it.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:05 pm
shadowflameguardian
Why not try out a small spell? Or try some candle magic. With all your reading I'm sure you have come across various ways to write out a spell.
Don't take on anything major but if you want to start practicing and getting in to things, I'd just write out a spell and try it.

Oh no! Summon a goetic demon and film the results razz  

Cunning Witch Angus

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:16 pm
-Pulls out his Lesser Key of ******** IT ALL I'M SUMMONING ASMODEUS! D<

But seriously.

I'm kind of interested in everything. Except Wicca.

Assuming that this is much too vague, I'll give a list of options i could go with that appeal the most to me, and the books I have on them.

====

Ceremonial Magic (I have The Great/Lesser Keys of Solomon, The Sacred Magic of Abremelin the Mage, Agrippa's "Of Occult Philosophy (all books) and some rather creepy Dark Lodge and Honorius stuff)

Chaos Magic (Liber Kaos, Liber Null [Peter Carrol], and Condensed Chaos [Phil Hines])

Sigilization (Practical Sigil Magic and The Book of Results)

Psionics (I don't have any books on Psionics, sadly. But a lot of information can be found on the internet, even in this guild)  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:19 pm
I agree, I'm not a Wiccan either. The Chaos magic sounds really interesting, I will have to read that. The way I started was with candle magic and tarot reading. Nothing too interesting. Maybe after I do some reading on a few topics I can figure out something better. It is hard when there is a lot that interests you to focus on just one idea.  

Underworld Priestess

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:01 am
That's how a lot of people start.

I have a Tarot Deck, but Tarot Reading doesn't really interest me, i'm not sure why. Scrying seems a lot more up my alley.

I tried scrying with water in a cauldron once, but no results. I think perhaps if the scrying surface was bigger (my tiny cauldron is only 3 inches at it's widest point) It could have held my focus more. I really want to invest in a Black Scrying Mirror.

Candle Magic is a possibility, but at the same time, seems kind of boring to me ^^;;;

Really, the point of this thread is just for suggestions as for where to start, because I have about five-thousand possible starting points (not literally), and no idea which route to go. And i am terrible with decisions.

Thanks for the help so far, though. I appreciate it.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:04 am
-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
-Pulls out his Lesser Key of ******** IT ALL I'M SUMMONING ASMODEUS! D<

Ha, we must Demon-Kungfu Fight! BAAL I CHOOSE YOU!

Pokeman Goetia! Gotta catch 'em all! GOETIA!

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
But seriously.

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
I'm kind of interested in everything. Except Wicca.

Aren't we all...the fertility thing made me, oh well...bai.

Getting really interested in the Cultus Sabbati though, yep.

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
Assuming that this is much too vague, I'll give a list of options i could go with that appeal the most to me, and the books I have on them.

Mmk.

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
Ceremonial Magic (I have The Great/Lesser Keys of Solomon, The Sacred Magic of Abremelin the Mage, Agrippa's "Of Occult Philosophy (all books) and some rather creepy Dark Lodge and Honorius stuff)

Well, if you are going to go with the CM I would suggest get Israel Regardie's book on The Golden Dawn and learning some of the techniques in there before you try anything too serious XD

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
Chaos Magic (Liber Kaos, Liber Null [Peter Carrol], and Condensed Chaos [Phil Hines])

Pick something from Liber Null & Psychonaut. Try...um ummm...oh! Try Evocation or Invocation. Perhaps evoke a servitor that you create to help you in your studies. Make an experiment out of it, have fun, you know.

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
Sigilization (Practical Sigil Magic and The Book of Results)

Again, craft a sigil and charge and fire it and see what it does....or doesn't do

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
Psionics (I don't have any books on Psionics, sadly. But a lot of information can be found on the internet, even in this guild)

Really I would suggest The Psychic Vampire Codex. It has a nice section on energy manipulation.  

Cunning Witch Angus

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:29 am
Quote:

Ha, we must Demon-Kungfu Fight! BAAL I CHOOSE YOU!

Pokeman Goetia! Gotta catch 'em all! GOETIA!

That would either be really badass, or totally terrifying. Or both.

Quote:

Aren't we all...the fertility thing made me, oh well...bai.

Getting really interested in the Cultus Sabbati though, yep.

Yeah, the fertility thing what what turned me off too. That and how it seemed kind of restricting.

Quote:
Well, if you are going to go with the CM I would suggest get Israel Regardie's book on The Golden Dawn and learning some of the techniques in there before you try anything too serious XD

The Complete Golden Dawn System of Magic by Israel Regardie? (I just looked up Israel Regardie and looked around his books. That one stood out to me.

Quote:
Pick something from Liber Null & Psychonaut. Try...um ummm...oh! Try Evocation or Invocation. Perhaps evoke a servitor that you create to help you in your studies. Make an experiment out of it, have fun, you know.

Oh, a servitor? I always thought that was a pretty major undertaking, actually. I didn't think I had enough experience evoke one. I could give it a shot, totally.

Quote:
Again, craft a sigil and charge and fire it and see what it does....or doesn't do

That is a good idea, honestly. I'm not sure why I haven't done it. Sigil Crafting is supposed to be really simple and quick. I probably should have tried a long time ago.

Quote:
Really I would suggest The Psychic Vampire Codex. It has a nice section on energy manipulation.

The one by Michelle Belanger?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:44 am
-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

That would either be really badass, or totally terrifying. Or both.

I'd say both, really.

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
Yeah, the fertility thing what what turned me off too. That and how it seemed kind of restricting.

Nods

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
The Complete Golden Dawn System of Magic by Israel Regardie? (I just looked up Israel Regardie and looked around his books. That one stood out to me.

That'd be the one.

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
Oh, a servitor? I always thought that was a pretty major undertaking, actually. I didn't think I had enough experience evoke one. I could give it a shot, totally.

Voila, I have won the thread!

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
That is a good idea, honestly. I'm not sure why I haven't done it. Sigil Crafting is supposed to be really simple and quick. I probably should have tried a long time ago.

Once more I win!

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
The one by Michelle Belanger?

Yeppers.  

Cunning Witch Angus

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:49 am
Alright, cool.

I'll work on obtaining these books sooner rather than later, and I'll go back over my Sigil books for a quick refresher. I think I'll keep this thread around to keep track of my progress for all of you to read if you want. I don't mind if it's moved to another subforum, though.

Oh, before I forget, any other books you would recommend?

Especially books with lots of tables of correspondences and charts (I love stuff like that xD)?

I'm looking to expand my collection (which is mostly PDF files, sadly. I want paper, dammit! D<)  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:04 am
-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-
Alright, cool.

I'll work on obtaining these books sooner rather than later, and I'll go back over my Sigil books for a quick refresher. I think I'll keep this thread around to keep track of my progress for all of you to read if you want. I don't mind if it's moved to another subforum, though.

Oh, before I forget, any other books you would recommend?

Especially books with lots of tables of correspondences and charts (I love stuff like that xD)?

I'm looking to expand my collection (which is mostly PDF files, sadly. I want paper, dammit! D<)

Ummm...777 by Crowley has nice Tables XD  

Cunning Witch Angus

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:16 am
Well he may have won but I'm throwing in some extra credit...
It's a cheap and easy way to make a scrying mirror.

Scrying Mirror

The first step is to buy a picture frame. An oval frame is ideal but any other shape is acceptable. Try to find a frame that has some aesthetic appeal for you. The frame must have a glass insert and not a plastic one. First, disassemble the frame. Clean one side of the glass with your “Scrying Mirror Cleaning Solution” (i.e. Windex). Paint this side with a thick black paint. Oil based enamel seems to work best. I prefer the gloss black but matte black will work well also. Apply several coats of paint until light will not pass through the glass.

At this stage you may paint designs or symbols around the edge of the frame if you are artistically inclined. <
Next, assemble the frame with the painted side of the glass to the inside. The thicker the plate of glass, the “deeper” the mirror will appear.

A method is needed to hold the frame at a shallow angle to the vertical. Some frames have a leg on the back that will do nicely. Trimming the bottom of the leg will adjust the angle. An alternate method is to use one of the display stands that are used for collector plates. Varying the size of the stand will increase or decrease the angle of the frame. These are available at craft stores or those stores where “America shops”.

An alternate method of constructing a scrying mirror is to use a clear crystal plate. Paint the back side as described for the picture frame. With this method I recommend covering the painted portion with felt or some other heavy material. This will help protect the paint from being scratched or scuffed off.

You're now ready to start scrying!  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces