Submit

Is this awesome? y/n
  Holy s**t.
  Eh, not really into either band.
  I hate talent.
View Results

l-Kriel-l

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:57 pm
In light of the (sort of) recent death of Avenged Sevenfold's drummer, Jimmy Sullivan (The Rev), and unfinished business, it has been announced that Mike Portnoy, drummer of Dream Theater, Jimmy's favorite drummer, and arguably one of the world's best, is entering the studio with Avenged Sevenfold.

Article.

To me, this is amazing news. I love both bands, and they are two of my favorite drummers ever.
Discoss.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:50 am
Jimmy Sullivan

Mike Portnoy  

l-Kriel-l

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:43 pm
Sweet.

Definitely amazing news. Looking forward to hearing Mike on record. Jimmy was awesome and too good to die.

RIP "The Rev"  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:02 pm
No one can replace The Rev for me.

I don't get it though, is Mike stepping in to finish the album? Are they finding a different drummer for the future?  

Ribbin

4,900 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

l-Kriel-l

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Ribbin

I don't get it though, is Mike stepping in to finish the album? Are they finding a different drummer for the future?

Just to finish the album.
I agree, no one can replace The Rev, but if anyone has to, Mike is the best fit.

Also, from what I've heard, the drummer of Slipknot is helping as well.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:08 pm
l-Kriel-l
Ribbin

I agree, no one can replace The Rev, but if anyone has to, Mike is the best fit.

Ah, when I first heard the news on facebook I thought it was Mike stepping in to replace him. Then I thought, wtf would the drummer of Dream Theater join A7X? Hah, but yea, if they're half done the album, it makes sense to get Mike to finish it. I have no qualms against that. I just kept picturing the band line up.

M. Shadows
Synyster Gates
Zacky Vengeance
Johnny Christ
Mike Portnoy..... wtf?

If they continue as a band after this though, I won't have the heart to follow. With The Rev starting to do vocals and everything in their last album, they were turning into something pretty amazing. And his drum style is just too amazing to live without. I still like Waking The Fallen better than any of their new stuff, but they were turning into something pretty decent. And without Jimmy I have no interest in it.  

Ribbin

4,900 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

l-Kriel-l

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:10 pm
Ribbin
l-Kriel-l
Ribbin

Ah, when I first heard the news on facebook I thought it was Mike stepping in to replace him. Then I thought, wtf would the drummer of Dream Theater join A7X? Hah, but yea, if they're half done the album, it makes sense to get Mike to finish it. I have no qualms against that. I just kept picturing the band line up.

M. Shadows
Synyster Gates
Zacky Vengeance
Johnny Christ
Mike Portnoy..... wtf?

If they continue as a band after this though, I won't have the heart to follow. With The Rev starting to do vocals and everything in their last album, they were turning into something pretty amazing. And his drum style is just too amazing to live without. I still like Waking The Fallen better than any of their new stuff, but they were turning into something pretty decent. And without Jimmy I have no interest in it.

Jimmy's vocals in Critical Acclaim is the best thing that Avenged Sevenfold has ever done in my opinion.
His voice was amazing.

Not counting his drumming or Syn's guitar.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:14 pm
Ribbin
l-Kriel-l
Ribbin

M. Shadows
Synyster Gates
Zacky Vengeance
Johnny Christ
Mike Portnoy..... wtf?

I like their newer stuff better than Waking the Fallen, but you're right. Without the Rev, it just won't be the same.

Also, you're speaking somewhat in circles. First you say A7X is "turning into something pretty amazing" due to their recent albums, then you say they're "turning into something pretty DECENT" for almost the exact same reason. xp

Also, cool to hear that, if it's true, Joey Jordison of Slipknot is helping out as well. He ain't the best drummer on Earth like all his ******** fanboys claim, be he's certainly wicked skilled.  

Sir Codin

l-Kathulu-l

Versatile Man-Lover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:52 pm
Yay  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Lord of Armageddon
Ribbin
l-Kriel-l
Ribbin

M. Shadows
Synyster Gates
Zacky Vengeance
Johnny Christ
Mike Portnoy..... wtf?

I like their newer stuff better than Waking the Fallen, but you're right. Without the Rev, it just won't be the same.

Also, you're speaking somewhat in circles. First you say A7X is "turning into something pretty amazing" due to their recent albums, then you say they're "turning into something pretty DECENT" for almost the exact same reason. xp

Also, cool to hear that, if it's true, Joey Jordison of Slipknot is helping out as well. He ain't the best drummer on Earth like all his ******** fanboys claim, be he's certainly wicked skilled.

Well what I mean to say is that they're turning into something really awesome, just something I'm not that interested in. They're evolving into a more intelligent band, but I miss the unintelligent stuff. Waking The Fallen had the most repetitive guitar riffs, but it was still my favorite. As they get more talented and more open to new ideas, they stray farther away from my interests.  

Ribbin

4,900 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:51 pm
This is gonna make me look like a total d**k but I don't think it could be that hard to replace a drummer... >_>  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:52 pm
Dino Pakkun
This is gonna make me look like a total d**k but I don't think it could be that hard to replace a drummer... >_>

Easy to replace, but there specific style will never be like The Rev.  

Ribbin

4,900 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:57 pm
Ribbin
Dino Pakkun

*shrug* I like A7X more for their guitar work anyways.

I mean, it sucks that he's dead, but I really don't think it's gonna change the sound of their music all that much.

but
maybe
i'm just
stupid  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 pm
Dino Pakkun
Ribbin
Dino Pakkun

I mean, it sucks that he's dead, but I really don't think it's gonna change the sound of their music all that much.

but
maybe
i'm just
stupid

I agree, A7X was more famous for Synyster Gates.
The Rev did have a style, though. Heavy bass drum and lots of cymbals.

It won't change the music that much, yeah, but this means they can't continue as a band.
So...actually, it'll change the music greatly. >_>  

l-Kriel-l

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:20 pm
l-Kriel-l
Dino Pakkun
Ribbin
Dino Pakkun

but
maybe
i'm just
stupid

I agree, A7X was more famous for Synyster Gates.
The Rev did have a style, though. Heavy bass drum and lots of cymbals.

It won't change the music that much, yeah, but this means they can't continue as a band.
So...actually, it'll change the music greatly. >_>

Uh... why does it mean that?  
Social Room

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas