Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
what is your favorite atheist quote? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

omninulla

Anxious Phantom

20,800 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:17 pm
what is your favorite atheist quote?

mine is "Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities." – Voltaire

dl1371 - "Religion is poison."-Chairman Mao speaking to the Dali Lama, right before launching the genocide in Tibet (in an attempt tor remind us that not all atheists are good)

[-Erik-] - Religion is like masturbation. Most of us do it, but wouldn't we all be better off if you just kept it to yourself?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:17 pm
To make sure that the people in this guild don't get stuck up about how great atheism is and how violent religion is, I think I'll put this one (although it isn't my favorite atheist quote):
"Religion is poison."
-Chairman Mao speaking to the Dalai Lama, right before launching the genocide in Tibet
Anyway, I don't have a favorite atheist quote, because unlike some people I can see how religion can be beneficial to society, and how there could be a God.  

dl1371

dl1371

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:18 pm
f_a_i_t_h_l_e_s_s
See, its people who act like religion is evil and atheism is awesome that piss me off.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:40 pm
dl1371
To make sure that the people in this guild don't get stuck up about how great atheism is and how violent religion is, I think I'll put this one (although it isn't my favorite atheist quote):
"Religion is poison."
-Chairman Mao speaking to the Dalai Lama, right before launching the genocide in Tibet
Anyway, I don't have a favorite atheist quote, because unlike some people I can see how religion can be beneficial to society, and how there could be a God.

Mao was a hypocrite. He encouraged the cult of personality which led to the Great Leap Forward, the Cultural Revolution, and the genocide in Tibet. Maybe he was an atheist, but his followers (Who never questioned his often simplistic or outright insane ideas) were certainly not.

It would take nothing short of a god in a society to do what he did in the Cultural Revolution. He started a revolution against his own government, and yet he was somehow the leader of that revolution while simultaneously being the leader of the counter-revolution. Crazy. It's as paradoxical as any other religion.  

Lethkhar

dl1371

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:42 pm
Lethkhar
dl1371
"Religion is poison."

Mao was a hypocrite. He encouraged the cult of personality which led to the Great Leap Forward, the Cultural Revolution, and the genocide in Tibet. Maybe he was an atheist, but his followers (Who never questioned his often simplistic or outright insane ideas) were certainly not.
During the cultural revolution (I read a non-fiction book 'bout it) they encouraged everybody to be atheist. Religion was one of the four-olds

Quote:
It would take nothing short of a god in a society to do what he did in the Cultural Revolution. He started a revolution against his own government, and yet he was somehow the leader of that revolution while simultaneously being the leader of the counter-revolution. Crazy. It's as paradoxical as any other religion.
"Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities."
Suddenly atheism is wrong?
EDIT: I'd also like to point out that the cultural revolution was actually a move to solidify his power in the party  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:31 pm
Religion is like masturbation. Most of us do it, but wouldn't we all be better off if you just kept it to yourself?

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

omninulla

Anxious Phantom

20,800 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:14 pm
dl1371
f_a_i_t_h_l_e_s_s
See, its people who act like religion is evil and atheism is awesome that piss me off.

im not "acting like religion is evil and atheism is awesome" all of my friends are church going Cristian or Catholics. yes, religion does have its instances in which it is beneficial, but so do all philosophy's. going strictly by any currently existing popular philosophy is dangerous. the thing about a quote like the one i stated is that it is easy to draw different things from it because its short and somewhat vague. to me, "believe in absurdities" means believing that aids is gods punishment on humanity for gay people. not just having some heavenly father figure. you should be less accusing. especially when talking about these types of topics. if i were short tempered this might have developed into a fight.

i only put up this topic because i haven't posted here in a while and i wanted to contribute something.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:28 pm
dl1371
"Religion is poison."

i put this on the first post but as u seem to be against the idea of having a favorite atheist quote ill take it down if you ask me to (pm me as i might forget to frequent this thread.)  

omninulla

Anxious Phantom

20,800 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cat Fancier 100

omninulla

Anxious Phantom

20,800 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:37 pm
dl1371
Lethkhar
dl1371
"Religion is poison."

During the cultural revolution (I read a non-fiction book 'bout it) they encouraged everybody to be atheist. Religion was one of the four-olds

but he really doesn't constitute as what i would consider to be an atheist as he was just using atheism to get rid of gods so that he could take there place in the peoples lives.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:43 pm
It is either "You can have your own truth, but you can't have your own facts." or
" The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

dl1371

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:38 pm
f_a_i_t_h_l_e_s_s
dl1371
Lethkhar
dl1371
"Religion is poison."

but he really doesn't constitute as what i would consider to be an atheist as he was just using atheism to get rid of gods so that he could take there place in the peoples lives.
So it is a result of atheism. Atheism makes it easier to take power (apparently).
f_a_i_t_h_l_e_s_s

i put this on the first post but as u seem to be against the idea of having a favorite atheist quote ill take it down if you ask me to (pm me as i might forget to frequent this thread.)
My general point there was that the
reason one would have a favorite atheist quote is because it proves atheism and disproves religion or proves religion is a bad thing for the world (because if it doesn't it really doesn't matter if its from an atheist). Anyway, I was saying that since I understand how a person could be religious, and how religion is a good thing, then I don't have a favorite atheist quote.
f_a_i_t_h_l_e_s_s
im not "acting like religion is evil and atheism is awesome" all of my friends are church going Cristian or Catholics. yes, religion does have its instances in which it is beneficial, but so do all philosophy's. going strictly by any currently existing popular philosophy is dangerous. the thing about a quote like the one i stated is that it is easy to draw different things from it because its short and somewhat vague. to me, "believe in absurdities" means believing that aids is gods punishment on humanity for gay people. not just having some heavenly father figure. you should be less accusing. especially when talking about these types of topics. if i were short tempered this might have developed into a fight.
Well I was mainly mad about that quote saying something like "religion is absurd, and that makes people do bad things". And not only do I not get the logic behind that, but it is kinda insulting to religion.
Don't take it personally, Voltaire should take it personally.

f_a_i_t_h_l_e_s_s
i only put up this topic because i haven't posted here in a while and i wanted to contribute something.
That, I understand. Sorry if I was a little harsh...

EDIT:
f_a_i_t_h_l_e_s_s
in a successful attempt tor remind us that not all atheists are good
Fix'd  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:03 pm
dl1371
Lethkhar
dl1371
"Religion is poison."

Atheist in name, but not really atheist. They also encouraged people to follow Mao's every commandment. He was worshipped like a God. He was as good as a god in the minds of the Red Guards.

Quote:
Quote:

No, I'm saying that cults of personality are as dangerous as they've ever been.

Quote:
EDIT: I'd also like to point out that the cultural revolution was actually a move to solidify his power in the party

No s**t. stare  

Lethkhar

dl1371

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:29 pm
Lethkhar
dl1371
Lethkhar
dl1371
"Religion is poison."

Atheist in name, but not really atheist. They also encouraged people to follow Mao's every commandment. He was worshipped like a God. He was as good as a god in the minds of the Red Guards.
Because lack of a god leaves room for people to worship the state. Atheism makes it easier to take power. Ergo, it was the fault of atheism.
Saying that is like saying: Jesus Camp isn't the fault of christianity, because it advocates policies the bible doesn't.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But quite a few cults of personality were made by atheists who encouraged their followers to be atheist.

Quote:
Quote:

No s**t. stare
But you called him a madman
its immoral, not mad  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:31 am
dl1371
Lethkhar
dl1371
Lethkhar
dl1371
"Religion is poison."

Because lack of a god leaves room for people to worship the state.

Pure conjecture. There are countless examples of simultaneous theism and state-worship. They often are one and the same, as I am suggesting China was.

Quote:
Atheism makes it easier to take power.

Again, pure conjecture. In fact, I could make the argument that religion makes it far easier to control people's actions i.e. "take power".

Quote:
Saying that is like saying: Jesus Camp isn't the fault of christianity, because it advocates policies the bible doesn't.

Not really. A label like "Christianity" is far more specific than "atheism". You can make a lot of claims as to what makes or does not make a Christian. With atheists it's much more obvious. If you believe in a higher power, then you are not an atheist. Even if that higher power is the figurehead of your government. (The ancient Egyptians, for instance, were theists)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But quite a few cults of personality were made by atheists who encouraged their followers to be atheist.

You're not really encouraging them to be atheist if you're inviting them into a cult, are you?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No s**t. stare

I never called him a madman, though I think he was in some respects. I said that the circumstances of the Cultural Revolution were crazy. The sheer influence that Mao had on so many people is scary. That he could compartmentalize so many peoples' psyches into believing he was their friend against the government he was in control of is astonishing, to say the least.

And even if I do think he's a madman, I don't see what that has to do with the motives behind the Cultural Revolution. They were pretty apparent to anyone who wasn't part of his cult.

Listen, I realize that atheists can do bad things just as much as religious people can. That's not my issue with what you've posted. My issue is that you seem to be suggesting that a lack of religion causes excess strife, and that theism prevents more strife than it causes. I think this is untrue.  

Lethkhar

The Singular Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:45 pm
Lethkhar
dl1371
Lethkhar
dl1371
Lethkhar

Because lack of a god leaves room for people to worship the state.

Pure conjecture. There are countless examples of simultaneous theism and state-worship. They often are one and the same, as I am suggesting China was.

Quote:
Atheism makes it easier to take power.

Again, pure conjecture. In fact, I could make the argument that religion makes it far easier to control people's actions i.e. "take power".

Quote:

Not really. A label like "Christianity" is far more specific than "atheism". You can make a lot of claims as to what makes or does not make a Christian. With atheists it's much more obvious. If you believe in a higher power, then you are not an atheist. Even if that higher power is the figurehead of your government. (The ancient Egyptians, for instance, were theists)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're not really encouraging them to be atheist if you're inviting them into a cult, are you?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No s**t. stare

I never called him a madman, though I think he was in some respects. I said that the circumstances of the Cultural Revolution were crazy. The sheer influence that Mao had on so many people is scary. That he could compartmentalize so many peoples' psyches into believing he was their friend against the government he was in control of is astonishing, to say the least.

And even if I do think he's a madman, I don't see what that has to do with the motives behind the Cultural Revolution. They were pretty apparent to anyone who wasn't part of his cult.

Listen, I realize that atheists can do bad things just as much as religious people can. That's not my issue with what you've posted. My issue is that you seem to be suggesting that a lack of religion causes excess strife, and that theism prevents more strife than it causes. I think this is untrue.

C-C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

But really guys, I personally enjoy the Oswaldian outlook on religion. At one time, it was necessary to create and maintain laws needed for a stable society; specifically, no killing, stealing, bearing false witness, committing adultery, all those commandments that dont have much to do with god. What better vehicle for enforcing a law than an all-powerful being in the sky who rewards you if you follow his laws?  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff