Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Publishers take a shot at illegal gaming. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vaettur

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:55 pm
I haven't seen a topic about this, so here it is.

Apparantly, publishers are taking actions against illegal gaming.
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth is not getting released here in the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg).
This because the European publisher thinks it wouldn't sell well anyway because of the majority of R4-cards used here. I think that's a pretty drastic decision because i know there are a lot of gamers that do not use any of this stuff.

On the other hand i can understand the problem. There are so many parents here that buy a DSi + R4 for their kids. Seriously... if you'd take all the kids that are up to age 14 with a DS, probably 99 out of a 100 kids have a R4 and zero bought games.

It's kind of alarming. I know there are a lot of other countries (including North America) that are in the same situation as ours and this will most likely happen with other future games as well. This is just killing gaming in general.

Any thoughts?

By the way, they did release the demo in the Nintendo Channel here, which is even more frustrating.

Quote:
Capcom-distributor Brizamila has made a few gamers just a tad upset. The distributor has announced that they will not be handling distribution of Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth in the Netherlands, Belgium or Luxembourg. What's the reason behind all this? Brizamila says that the R4 has ruined the market in these areas, and it's simply not profitable for them to publish the game. If you ever wanted a reason why Nintendo is going after piracy so hard, this would be it.

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=114767  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:26 pm
I agree that piracy must be dealt with in some way, but not supplying product probably isn't the best way to handle it. It might just spark more of a reason to turn to piracy, since the product isn't readily available.

However, from what I've observed in my country (Puerto Rico), and from that I can also include a rough estimate of United States, since our economy depends on their economy... The DS has remained a closed system in regards to piracy, not saying it isn't done, but it's much more uncommon. Usually people resort to hacking PSPs, to the point that you can assume that almost any PSP you come into contact with is hacked.

I personally had not even heard of the R4 card until reading this post and doing some research, which is why I say it's that uncommon, most all of the people that I know own a DS buy or legally obtain all their DS games.  

Master_Glink

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:31 pm
Ironically enough, these pirates are usually the same gamers who whine and complain whenever a game isn't localized in their area.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:40 pm
I hadn't heard of that R4 card until now either.

Either way, I would do the same thing if I were the company. Why localize a game if it keeps getting pirated? Hell, why even make the game?  

Orphie

Paper Sonic

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 pm
I've heard of it before... because someone I know uses one. They don't care at all about the publishers or the developers! ;__;

But that sucks for people who don't pirate. Sorry Vae. sad
The worst part is, this really will only affect people who don't pirate... The pirates will just pirate this game. gonk  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:33 pm
I_love_Inuyasha1
I've heard of it before... because someone I know uses one. They don't care at all about the publishers or the developers! ;__;

I picked up Strange Journey when it came out a week ago and brought it to school the day after to play between classes. One of my friends asked about it, thought it sounded interesting, and immediately downloaded it and stuck it on his R4 card.
RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

I_love_Inuyasha1
The worst part is, this really will only affect people who don't pirate... The pirates will just pirate this game. gonk

This.
Especially since there isn't a way to legally purchase it when the game isn't released in the first place.  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Reesa

Magic Lover

15,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:50 pm
Ive never heard of an R4 card until now... wow and here I am actually buying games... >.>  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:13 pm
The game won't be of much benefit to them if it's not in their language.  

Waynebrizzle

TtheHero

Unbeatable Protagonist

29,625 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:30 pm
I don't know why... but it feels like a cycle of sorts.

Say they won't localize a game for whatever "reason". This in turn makes some resort to putting said game on an R4.

But then they say they won't localize it BECAUSE they're using the R4. And even if they did decide to localize it now, it'll be for naught, for there's a free alternative.

There could be a lot that could be said about initial reasons for not localizing something, but they could at least try.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:33 pm
Waynebrizzle
The game won't be of much benefit to them if it's not in their language.

Well, I know many people who play Japanese games that are never released this side of the pacific, regardless of not knowing Japanese. And who knows, maybe some of them know English, or Spanish. Which are common languages for games to be translated to.

In Puerto Rico the games that are sold locally are in English, even though most of the population doesn't care much or know English, as they prefer Spanish. I didn't know English myself when I played my first games, although it's probably thanks to video games that I learned English as well as a native in the first place.  

Master_Glink

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:37 pm
the R4 system is pushing people to even MAKE games off the data they get and sell them on amazon or ebay, i got a game from amazon and the cratrige wasn't even the right kind it was some cheapo chinese sd card that barely even worked, and the data was slowly degrading.
i can understand emulation to try out games you find questionable or not local in region, but that just takes the cake.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:38 pm
Sí, pero there' todavía s la barrera linguística, que usted individuos aren' consideración de t. Incluso si un pirata intentó pasar el juego a través de un traductor en línea malo, saldría probablemente realmente torpe, como este párrafo.

@Master_Glink: I've seen it too, but for really simple games and easy to figure out ones like Gundam RPGs and.... other RPGs. Good luck trying to play an Ace Attorney game that's not in your native language. I see that you're proficient in English, but that doesn't mean every pirate is.

You are right though. They can still break that protection, which is why we need law enforcement fighting piracy. Now, I'm not talking the one guy who just got a copy of Battletoads because his mom sold his old copy and he wanted to play it; I'm talking about the douchebag who has never paid for a game for the last 4 years or something.  

Waynebrizzle

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:41 pm
Waynebrizzle
Sí, pero there' todavía s la barrera linguística, que usted individuos aren' consideración de t. Incluso si un pirata intentó pasar el juego a través de un traductor en línea malo, saldría probablemente realmente torpe, como este párrafo.

@Master_Glink: I've seen it too, but for really simple games and easy to figure out ones like Gundam RPGs and.... other RPGs. Good luck trying to play an Ace Attorney game that's not in your native language. I see that you're proficient in English, but that doesn't mean every pirate is.

You are right though. They can still break that protection, which is why we need law enforcement fighting piracy. Now, I'm not talking the one guy who just got a copy of Battletoads because his mom sold his old copy and he wanted to play it; I'm talking about the douchebag who has never paid for a game for the last 4 years or something.
you wouldn't steal a purse, you wouldn't steal a car, you wouldn't steal a baby, downloading games is stealing.

edit: THIS is the kinda justice gaming needs, a message in every game ever released.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:55 pm
Waynebrizzle

I know what you mean. I remember recently a few friends were trying to convince me to hack my Xbox 360, "No one's going to find out, it will be fine" they said... Then a few weeks after MW2 came out... Karma works in interesting ways... twisted  

Master_Glink

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:01 pm
Master_Glink

I know what you mean. I remember recently a few friends were trying to convince me to hack my Xbox 360, "No one's going to find out, it will be fine" they said... Then a few weeks after MW2 came out... Karma works in interesting ways... twisted

I'm glad they got theirs. I hate when people just steal games that I pay for fair and square.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff