Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
Darien's Age...? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Venombabe

Timely Muse

14,125 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:47 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

============
The art of being wise

heart I hadn't thought about this in awhile, but while I was working on an AMV last night, an audio part that I kept in the video is of Darien breaking up with Serena. She says something like "I know, I'm still young..."

How old IS anime-counterpart Darien? I think the driving age is like, 18? Maybe 20, and he's got both a car and motorcycle. Whenever we see him in the anime, he's usually hanging out somewhere like he doesn't have anything to do.
Now, MANGA Darien is different. We actually have an idea as to how old he is, since somewhere in the beginning he shows his school ID to Serena and it says he's in 11th grade and by the time Stars comes around, he's leaving for college.

So that makes one wonder, how old IS he exactly? heart

is the art of knowing what to overlook
============

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:16 am
This is called "Pervy people that did the storyline"

In NA Dub- Darien is said to be -20- to Usagi's -14-. (and no one's saying anything about that 'cept her DAD)

Japanese: ....Probably 18-20 because you have to be that age to own/drive a car. Though I'm saying about 19 if I want to be good about it.

Manga: Starts off at probably around 17 to Usagi's 13/14 and then he's 19 in SuperS considering that Usagi's like 15/16 by then.

SO~

A grace of 4-6 years in Anime.

A grace of 2-3 years Manga.

=3 now which makes more sense?  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Venombabe

Timely Muse

14,125 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:27 pm

============
The art of being wise

heart I KNO, RITE? I always wondered why no one called him a ***** or freaked out (other than Kenji Papa and maybe Sammy). And since I don't know the actual age that's legal to drive, I'd guess 20. I think Haruka's 18 and someone asked her sometime where she was able to get her license and she answered that she got it in a foreign country. heart

============

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:45 pm
In Japan it's common to like someone who is older. In Chobits, one of the guys ran off with his teacher. In Card Captor Sakura she was just in elementary school and had a crush on her high school brother's friend. I believe one of the elementary girls even had a thing for the one teacher.  

Sukuya

O.G. Bunny

14,325 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Venombabe

Timely Muse

14,125 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:49 pm
Sukuya
In Japan it's common to like someone who is older. In Chobits, one of the guys ran off with his teacher. In Card Captor Sakura she was just in elementary school and had a crush on her high school brother's friend. I believe one of the elementary girls even had a thing for the one teacher.

============
The art of being wise

heart I haven't finished Chobits yet, so I don't know anything past the 2nd volume @_@
In CCS, she did have a crush on him, but it wasn't recipricated, considering we found out that the reason that both she and Li had crushes on Yukito was because of the magic he had.
As for the teacher thing, I think it acknowledged that both liked one another. Or at least in the manga it did heart

============

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:00 am
What ever happened to the saying that love serpasses everythnig even age... so it doesn't matter how old they are.  

Earth Princess Kyoko

Venombabe

Timely Muse

14,125 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:51 am
Selene Hyuuga
What ever happened to the saying that love serpasses everythnig even age... so it doesn't matter how old they are.

============
The art of being wise

heart ...geez, I was just asking... heart

============

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:28 am
Selene Hyuuga
What ever happened to the saying that love surpasses everything even age... so it doesn't matter how old they are.

I suppose that is technically all right. But I'm not sure I'm totally crazy about the age idea. It's all fine and dandy when she's 16-17 and he's a freshman or sophomore in college but, in real life there are like ooold guys with high school girls, mutually.. still agree with that? I don't know, it's in the eye of the beholder but in my beholding eyes they're fixated to that opinion >.>

(and seriously? Haruka isn't even older than Darien? Huh.. she's so mature..)

User Image

The Maharani

Brinioo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:38 am
Haruka seems like both male and female in manga looks like male more then female but in anime she looks a little better like a female.
And Haruka is pretty funny and random sometimes so I like her more then that Darien Chick(lol).  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:54 pm
Well, considering that the age of consent in Japan is 13 over all, it varies from prefecture to prefecture. There are some that prohibits *coughs* some things under the age of 18 but generally yeah.

There's also a thing where young women (generally within the 13/14-18 range or older) who just date older men that are basically sugar daddies but don't have to put out so to speak.

Geisha's are pretty good examples of this. They don't put out actually. They're just there to entertain the guys with arts and just generally keep them company.

So, for Anime version, this could explain why Mamoru and Usagi as a couple don't seem strange at all to anyone else and that Kenji is acting like a typical father who's daughter is dating boys.

(also helps that a guy was directing the Anime version and..yeah. He doesn't care much for the male protagonist to get with an anime girl that he calls 'his girl'. *Rolling eyes.* It also explains why Seiya-who is really a girl- got the best parts in the last season. )

Anyway- It would stand to reason that this age difference in Mamoru and Usagi anime wise is the reason why to us in the West Mamoru seems cold and more or less a jerk. When actually he's probably quite sensible and more grown up than Usagi and her friend.

So..short version: He looks like an a-hole to most teenage audiences because he's an introverted young adult male (20) who's dating a 14 year old female that has her head in the clouds most of the time and it's mostly told from -her- perspective in a way.

Also, by the by, cultural differences should also be considered too. cause in Japan, Mamoru would be considered a full fledged Adult. (Their coming of age is 20.)

While in the Manga version it's better balanced because he's 16/17 from the start and she's around 13/14. Therefore he's more prone to be silly with Usagi and they get to, more or less, grow up together.  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500

heavensdark

Dangerous Prophet

26,665 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:32 pm
I can't remember if it was the English dub or the Japanese version (or maybe it was the manga?) I can't really say but I do remember somewhere they said he was in high school. I remember thinking he had to have been like 17 meanwhile Usagi/Serena was 14.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:51 am
MangoTangoxP
Selene Hyuuga
What ever happened to the saying that love surpasses everything even age... so it doesn't matter how old they are.

I suppose that is technically all right. But I'm not sure I'm totally crazy about the age idea. It's all fine and dandy when she's 16-17 and he's a freshman or sophomore in college but, in real life there are like ooold guys with high school girls, mutually.. still agree with that? I don't know, it's in the eye of the beholder but in my beholding eyes they're fixated to that opinion >.>

(and seriously? Haruka isn't even older than Darien? Huh.. she's so mature..)

User Image

Haruka/Michiru are still in high school with the Inner Senshi. Setsuna and Mamoru are the only ones mentioned (Aside from Motoki and Reika) that are in College/beyond College. Since Setsuna is a school nurse at the school Hotaru attended with Chibiusa before Chibiusa left for the future (See Stars Manga)

I would think that because both Michiru and Haruka would have to be a bit more mature since their mission is so serious and since they had to live on their own as well as work.
(Haruka complains about having to go to school during the Stars arc though Michiru likes it.)

Which..makes sense given that Mamoru also lives on his own thus have to work.

Which also works because out of the four senshi, Makoto is more mature in the sense that she's like Mamoru.  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500

xChibiDollx

3,100 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:36 pm
Venombabe

============
The art of being wise

heart I hadn't thought about this in awhile, but while I was working on an AMV last night, an audio part that I kept in the video is of Darien breaking up with Serena. She says something like "I know, I'm still young..."

How old IS anime-counterpart Darien? I think the driving age is like, 18? Maybe 20, and he's got both a car and motorcycle. Whenever we see him in the anime, he's usually hanging out somewhere like he doesn't have anything to do.
Now, MANGA Darien is different. We actually have an idea as to how old he is, since somewhere in the beginning he shows his school ID to Serena and it says he's in 11th grade and by the time Stars comes around, he's leaving for college.

So that makes one wonder, how old IS he exactly? heart

============

hes in college, so i bet about 18, so between him and Usagi theres only about a 4 year difference (talking about up till episode 103, Usagis birthday, and im talking about the original japanese episodes)  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:20 pm
Rei Torano
MangoTangoxP
(Seriously? Haruka isn't even older than Darien? Huh.. she's so mature..)

Haruka/Michiru are still in high school with the Inner Senshi. Setsuna and Mamoru are the only ones mentioned (Aside from Motoki and Reika) that are in College/beyond College. Since Setsuna is a school nurse at the school Hotaru attended with Chibiusa before Chibiusa left for the future (See Stars Manga)

I would think that because both Michiru and Haruka would have to be a bit more mature since their mission is so serious and since they had to live on their own as well as work.
(Haruka complains about having to go to school during the Stars arc though Michiru likes it.)

Which..makes sense given that Mamoru also lives on his own thus have to work.

Which also works because out of the four senshi, Makoto is more mature in the sense that she's like Mamoru.

Aah, I wasn't fully aware of where the Senshi stood as far as daily life. I haven't read the manga (don't hurt me girls!); haven't gotten around to it.. >.>

Many thanks for the disambiguation, Rei. whee  

The Maharani

Rowan of Kasai

Kawaii Nymph

21,875 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Super Jumper 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:59 pm
Wow alot of people answered this! She's in 8th grade in the anime so she is likely 13-14. Or at least I was 13 in 8th grade. And he's a college student so he's at least 18. My mother woulda killed me for dating someone over legal age! Lol  
Home

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff