[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:56 am
Okay guys, as you may or may not know, I'm going to be going to this year's A-Kon and one of my costumes is a female HG/SS Ace Trainer. And I have decided that I would very much like to have some props I can stow away in my messenger bag.

One of the things I've decided to make is a Trainer Card. But since in-game and fashion TCs have a lot of meta-data (score, journey start date) and oft-changing data (money amount, Pokédex progression, team), I've endeavored to make my TC more "realistic". The only problem is, I don't really have any idea what kind of information a "realistic" TC would have! Here's what I've go so far:

User Image User Image
(Front ~ Back)

On the front, I took a cue from my Driver's License and included basic info. Not sure if I want to keep Issued/Expires on the front, but I have no idea what to put in their place if I moved them to the back. Also lengthened my ID number, since I doubt a region like Kanto (which I would assume has 1mil+ population) would use a simple 5-digit ID for all its (hundreds of) thousands of trainers. And discluded my full name, because I don't want complete strangers at an anime convention to know that s**t.

And that box at the bottom is for my signature, but I'm seriously considering moving it to the back. But leaving that space blank annoys the hell out of me.

On the back, I'm drawing an even bigger blank. I've got a magnetic strip and plan on putting in a bar code (and most likely will move the signature box to the back), but other than that, I have no clue.

So, anyone got any suggestions?

Things I DO NOT want to include:

» Eye color/hair color/weight/height
» Badges
» Pokémon team
» Anything involving a Pokédex
» Anything regarding beating the League

Go ahead and steal the card designs if you want. But the simplier, original version took me three damn hours to blank, so uh, have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:19 am
Hm. Well, depends on what you plan on using this for.
As in, RP, gaming, or just for fun.

I like the "Issued", but I'm not entirely sure if trainers ever need to renew licenses.

Back of IDs tend to involve signatures, and it would even (IMO) be neat to include an organization you/she participates in.

I also think that the ID# would be neater if it was the FC, because it correlates to the trainer more (in that particular region).

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:48 pm
Fox Demon Shippo
Hm. Well, depends on what you plan on using this for.
As in, RP, gaming, or just for fun.

I like the "Issued", but I'm not entirely sure if trainers ever need to renew licenses.

Back of IDs tend to involve signatures, and it would even (IMO) be neat to include an organization you/she participates in.

I also think that the ID# would be neater if it was the FC, because it correlates to the trainer more (in that particular region).

Haha, Shippo, I say right at the top that this is going to be a prop for a cosplay, hence why I want it realistic. xd heart

But we need to renew our Driver's Licenses and pretty much any other license ever, so I would figure a Trainer's Card would be the same way. But what do you mean by "organization [I] participate in"?

And I don't think an actual FC could fit in the ID number box. I also wanted to use my HG ID number.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:04 pm
Oh, I didn't notice that. xD

I suppose; I was just mentioning. sweatdrop

Organization, as in, if the character is a member or something.
Trainer's club, Team Rocket/Magma/Aqua/Galactic, a contest participator (which would probably be some sort of small badge on the card, come to think of it)...

Fair enough. 3nodding

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:49 pm
Haha. *Pats.*

Organization? Hmmm. Unless there's a Ace Trainer club would explain why they all wear the same thing, I don't think that would work. I'll be just a plain, ol', normal Ace Trainer, no affiliations.

Edit: Well actually, I was thinking of adding the Indigo League crest thingy that's on the badges after you beat Red, to the back. Since I'm "from" Kanto, surely my license would bear the logo of my home League?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:41 pm
Maybe on the back, you could include badges? But make them extremely small. Like TCM small?  

Bulbasauurr

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:02 pm
Bulbasauurr
Maybe on the back, you could include badges? But make them extremely small. Like TCM small?

No badges. That's data that changes too often to be practical.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:23 pm
the pokemon you recieved from proffesor/caught with gym leader as your starter.

your hometown  

Mr Popo in your mouth

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:50 pm
just put it in your mouth
the pokemon you recieved from proffesor/caught with gym leader as your starter.

your hometown

it's my belief that very few people get a traditional starter from a professor as their first pokémon, so nah.

and hometown is kinda covered with Region. i can't fit a city name in there, so just the country name has to do

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:07 pm
Hehe, there's TOTALLY an Ace Trainer club. xD

I do have to agree, the Hometown idea sounds nice.
Changed to Home, Origin, or something, maybe?

If you decided to be rid of of Expiration date, it would work (though I see your reason for keeping it).

League stamp sounds nice as a region idea, but I could also seem them doing those after you defeat them.
Goes either way, I suppose.

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:07 pm
I'm keeping Issued/Expires, since all IRL licenses have those somewhere. I was only debating whether or not to keep them on the front or move them to back. I don't really want to include hometown (it would make more sense to have an address, but I really don't want to put so much info on it).

Also, League stamp to designate my region's League. Like how my Driver's License has the Seal of the Great State of Florida on it. Not to show that I've beaten the League or something.

Yeah, I'm super picky, guys, did I ever tell you that?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:12 pm
It's fine. xD

Well, I can't think of much other than those two. =3

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50

Dragon Queen Tiamat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:39 pm
Hmm... Well I can't say I can think of anything that hasn't already been mentioned. I think it's a good idea to have the signature on the back of card.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:39 am
I'd put Signature above the barcode.

Maybe include Wi-Fi Friend code instead of Trainer ID?
Maybe a space for Favorite type of Pokemon?
Oh and I'd include Trainer Title.

Also, are you including a punch hole?  

melikefood

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:45 pm
melikefood
I'd put Signature above the barcode.

Maybe include Wi-Fi Friend code instead of Trainer ID?
Maybe a space for Favorite type of Pokemon?
Oh and I'd include Trainer Title.

Also, are you including a punch hole?

Addressed FC vs ID. FC won't fit in the ID Number's place, and I don't want random people knowing that anyway.

Why favorite type? No, really. My driver's license doesn't include a space for my favorite food. Not trying to be mean, but that seems like meta-data to me.

And I don't think titles aside from "Master", "Gym Leader", "Elite Four Member" and "Champion" would exist in a realistic Pokémon world. You're either just a "Trainer" (or Master/GL/E4M/Champ) or you're not. This seems meta-data, too. sad

And still debating on the punch hole. Realistically, it probably wouldn't have one, but I want to attach it to my con badge.

Pokémon Defenders

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff