Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Study (Research)
Spirits Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

x-G r e e k n e s s-x

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:30 pm
What's the difference between spirits and ghost?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:03 pm
Different terms. Same thing. Unless you mean spirits as in alcohol.  

Satrevi

x-G r e e k n e s s-x

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:20 pm
Alcohol?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:52 pm
Jesuss_Follower
Alcohol?
Yeah, sometimes it's referred to as spirits for potency or something during the distilling process.  

Satrevi

x-G r e e k n e s s-x

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:53 pm
oh. So then why do people call them different things?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:58 pm
Jesuss_Follower
oh. So then why do people call them different things?
Different cultures, tongues, sounds for words, different implications to the sound behind the word.

Hell, A demon was just an ancient guardian before people put evil implications on it.  

Satrevi

x-G r e e k n e s s-x

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:22 pm
oh. Thanks biggrin .  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:59 pm
Depending on who you ask there is a difference.
A ghost is someone who has passed on and is "stuck" between the physical world and the Afterlife. They do not cross through The Light to go on to the Afterlife, but stick around in this "netherworld" for one reason or another.

A spirit is a person who has passed on, but has actually gone through The Light and into the Afterlife. There they go through a life review learning process, and after that, are able to come and go between the Afterlife and our physical world.
A spirit can also be defined as the "breath" of the soul.
Spirits come back to watch over us, and to comfort us. Ghosts do not.  

Underworld Priestess

Satrevi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:16 pm
shadowflameguardian
A ghost is someone who has passed on and is "stuck" between the physical world and the Afterlife. They do not cross through The Light to go on to the Afterlife, but stick around in this "netherworld" for one reason or another.

A spirit is a person who has passed on, but has actually gone through The Light and into the Afterlife. There they go through a life review learning process, and after that, are able to come and go between the Afterlife and our physical world.
burning_eyes Wow... Uh, I could buy that.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:24 pm
Satrevi
shadowflameguardian

burning_eyes Wow... Uh, I could buy that.

Yeah, it goes along with terms like spirit guides and other things like that. Because the spirits can come back to guide us.  

Underworld Priestess

VeganIncubus

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:56 am
Underworld Priestess

I have a few questions to ask, based upon this post:

1) How do you know that a ghost is a 'someone' and not a 'something'?
2) How do you know there is an Afterlife?
3)Do you know 'spirits' "pass on"?
4) Have you yourself seen one of these spirits or recorded any evidence of their presence?
5) How do you know ghosts are stuck "in between" ?...whatever that means.

I mean, these are quite a few assumptions that may seem a bit presumptuous in my opinion.
Thank you.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:03 am
x-G r e e k n e s s-x
What's the difference between spirits and ghost?

spirits could refer to any form of soul. while ghost specifically refers to the apparitions of human souls  

neko-mata-01

neko-mata-01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:13 am
Underworld Priestess

so then what would you call non human entities ?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:08 pm
XxrationalsexybitchxX
Underworld Priestess

I have a few questions to ask, based upon this post:

1) How do you know that a ghost is a 'someone' and not a 'something'?
2) How do you know there is an Afterlife?
3)Do you know 'spirits' "pass on"?
4) Have you yourself seen one of these spirits or recorded any evidence of their presence?
5) How do you know ghosts are stuck "in between" ?...whatever that means.

I mean, these are quite a few assumptions that may seem a bit presumptuous in my opinion.
Thank you.

I have worked with the spirit world and ghosts and studied such for a long time (I'd say about 20 years at this point) and yes I have recorded evidence of their presence and my statements, for the most part, are based off of evidence that I have uncovered. YOU do not have to believe it since it is MY opinion and belief. Just like the Afterlife is based on my belief. No one can prove that there is an Afterlife. Do NOT misconstrue my words as statements of fact and do NOT insult me or else I will no longer answer your questions.
From the evidence I have gathered ghost are "stuck" in a sort of limbo between our world and the Afterlife. This can be called the spirit world or the Otherworld, depending on who you ask. I view spirits as beings that can be of a human or inhuman nature or they can be nature spirits (fairies). This is a topic that has been discussed in many paranormal circles and it is not a theory that I alone hold.
If you want me to post a different theory on spirits vs. ghosts...
This is an excerpt from an interview with Hans Holzer, who is famous in the paranormal community.
"We talked about the difference between a ghost or a spirit – how a ghost is a residual entity, like a psychic imprint left in an area that some people can pick up, whereas a spirit is intelligent and interactive. Holzer also mentioned a third category I hadn’t heard about before: the “stay behinds.”

See, topics in the paranormal are theories, don't take them as anything else.
And before you say, "well you didn't make it clear in your post that it is just your theory!" I did start off my posts saying it depends on who you asks, hence it is a theory.  

Underworld Priestess

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:10 pm
neko-mata-01
Underworld Priestess

so then what would you call non human entities ?

Well to put it simply - ghosts stay and don't always know that they are dead. Spirits can cross over and come back. Therefore I view inhuman and nature entities as also being spirits because they can cross inbetween worlds.  
The Study (Research)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff