Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Toko Ojin

4,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:23 pm
Okay, I recently have come up with a few questions about the truth of the pokemon world, I want to know more about how it works. One of my largest concerns is breeding. Apparently, newly hached pokémon are approximately full grown, and quite often, have other pokémon with them. Now this COULD be explained away as twins in the case of eggsecute, but what about mantine which is apparently born with a remoraid attached to it's wing, or kangaskan which apparently is born with a "baby" kangaskan inside of it's pouch? I had thought in Red/Blue/Yellow days that many pokemon were mamals and that kangaskan was a marsupial but apparently I was grossly incorrect. In fact, even GHOST pokemon hatch from eggs. Which makes me worried, because if they really are ghosts, dose breeding ghost pokemon mean your pokemon kill the other pokemon in the daycare to make eggs?!
That brings me to my next question, can pokemon die?! Apparently they do, because I find pokemon graves at the tower in Lavender Town and on Mt. Pyre, but pokémon have repeatedly illustrated their resillience by surviving hundreds of volts of electricty, having their heads choped off by a gillutine attack, and "being thrown over the horizon" by machamp. (speaking of over the horizon, are people this resilient too? cause otherwise I would assume Jessie and James are pokémon themselves) Do they only die of old age? Starvation? How do they eat each other if they can't die from super stomach acids of poison pokémon? Maybe captured pokémon are automatically returned to their pokéballs and kept in stasis? If this explaination could work I would be satisfied, but WILD pokémon also "faint" all the time. And, mysteriously can't be caught when fainted?! I can see why there is no vulture pokémon as there really is no pokémon deaths in most cases other than being eaten or dying inside people's houses as pets occationally.
Then there is normal/vs. poképlants, I assume, that the primary difference is that poképlants are sentient and hatch from eggs. And when you eat a salad, does it contain oddish? I know farfetched is a delicasy, maybe why only the rich eat it is because it is extreamly difficult to kill one! Also, do real animals exist in pokémon, as the humans must eat SOMETHING, but pokémon regularly reference eating one another, and you never see normal animals in the game, only normal plants. Also, I think I have the world hunger problems solved and the answer for what many pokémon base their diet on. The berries in the game grow at an abnormally accelerated rate. Apparetly highly nutritious "berries" (which include such things as corn and tomatoes in their midst) can grow within a few hours. Also, I have seen a berrie stalk grow... it is a very magical looking process, the air around the plant sparkles and the plant is spontaneously replaced by a further progresion of it's form, Maybe berries evolve just like pokémon do. If so, berry GO! This concludes my questions... for now...  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:24 pm
If this offends anyone I am sorry, it was meant to be funny. biggrin  

Toko Ojin

4,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:29 pm
Accually, Ash catches his first Pokemon, Fearow, after Pikachu fainted it. 3nodding ((On Misty's bike....XP))  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:49 pm
I was not referencing the show at all. I don't approve of the way the show was done. Allthough I am guessing you are talking about the manga since you said fearow, but I don't remember it fainting, it looked paralyzed to me.  

Toko Ojin

4,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

Icysnowgirl

Lonely Gaian

10,100 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:55 pm
You know, I've been pondering this too...

<.<;; I'm guessing that the majority of their world eats plant based foods.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:37 am
Depsite the wacky plot holes here are some brief answers to some.

-Apparently if you do see a character eat eggs, chances are they came from a Chansey
-Ghost pokemon are claimed to be beings from another dimension
-We can safely suspect Pokemon like Tauros and Farfetchd are in food products. Mmmm BBQ Spoink!
-Kangaskan are pregnant even before they're born
-Remoraids lay their eggs in Mantine's egg making place
-Guillotine attack is merely just a very hard pinch that causes one to pass out like a sleeper hold. (Not like the wierd vision Ash had of Metapod breaking into two)  

Inazuman Frash

Unbeatable Hunter

Load Chaud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:49 am
Eh, let's face it. The Pokémon World is one of fantasy. One where mythical creatures, futuristic technology, and car-driving kids (Gary in the first ep) exist. It isn't meant to be taken seriously at all.

But... I guess that's part of the fun of being a Pokémaniac. Trying to understand the logic behind Satoshi Tajiri's imaginary world.
But it just gives you a headache!

One thing I want to understand is the Poké Ball technology.
My guess is that Pokémon are transformed into energy which is carried by a Poké Ball. It certainly doesn't cram the Pokémon in its physical form. I mean, if so, no one would be able to lift a Snorlax's or Wailord's Poké Ball!

Then, comes the PC. For one, you can transfer your items back to home via the PC's network. OK, so items can also be tranformed into energy (or computer data, maybe?).
Second, is Pokémon storage. It always starts off with you sending your Pokémon to a complete stranger. How can you trust this person?! How do you know they won't do any sort of strange or sick things with your Pokémon?! Sure, later on you learn who runs the Pokémon storage system (Bill for Johto and Kanto trainers, Lanette for Hoenn trainers). But, still...

But, then agian... I guess it makes about as much sense as the BattleChip thing in MegaMan Battle Network (if MegaMan collects the chips in the Net, then how does Lan get them so he can slot-in them for MegaMan?).  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:13 am
IT IS A COMPLETE FACT THAT POKEMON DO EAT OTHER POKEMON. But since that it is a children show too, not that much "violence" is portrayed. How do you like the cute pikachu eaten up? xd

If you have notice the information of some pokemon, for example, Ekans/Arborc, they actually eat Pigey eggs >.< . Some other pokemon also have their history of Canivorous status, as some birds eat mice(forgotten which one) or some snakes do actually eat birds kind. Althought not much about legenaries, tigers(Growlithe) or what they eat.

And obviously Tauros doesn't end up in the dinner plate. While pokemon do exist, other fishes, shrimps, chickens and cows also exist. But not really shown as it revovle around POKEMON not normal animals. That why you can see them selling octopus balls, and many others.

Pokemon do DIE. But they actually don't die from other pokemon attack instantly unless there is a power gap. As in some series, it seems extra important to carry their pokemon to the Pokemon Centre as fast as possible in a Serious Condition. So saying their immortal is an understatment.

Ghost pokemon breed >.< not because they kill another pokemon. Ghost pokemon are pokemon, except that it is ghost type >.<. Althought it is true that some Pokemon die and turn into ghost type Pokemon. But this only apply if the Pokemon did not "R.I.P"(rest in peace). They pratically turn into another pokemon bread...

Oh yeah, in Chansey and Kangaskan cases, they do come with a egg or a baby. As their motherly or fatherly love allow them to bring them around. Since that the baby and the egg does nothing to help in battle they are useless. You never know when their egg will crack or the baby will grow up. And in game wise, it is not easy to make a game 100% reality... There is sure to be a gap somewhere.

SOME OTHER ANSWER to Load Chaud.
The age of Pokemon exist somewhere in the quite far future. Where technology is advanced. But it is not as advanced as show like Star Trek where you can teleport a people around with machine. Now it can teleport Pokeballs only, (without the need of Psyhic pokemon). And yes, the pokeball technology does turn the pokemon into a form of energy, strangely... But technology has no bounds biggrin .

Secondly, you don't send your pokemon to complete stranger. According to the game, you who receieve a Pokemon from Proffessor Oak, will have to help Pro. Oak in his studies of Pokemon. Since Pro. Oak have some other Pro. Friends, I think it is perfectly normal of him to send the Pokemon to other Pro.  

SilvernKnight

3,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Trumpster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:50 am
I prefer looking at the pokemon world in relation to the series because it's hard enough to get the information they do in the games as it is and are cutting out quite a bit of extra data they could probably enter if they had limitless space.

in the series any pokemon you catch while you have 6 already, are transported to the person who gave you the pokedex. which is perfectly reasonable and realistic, once you get around the tech to transport the ball from the middle of nowhere and how they know you have another pokemon (presumably sent by the pokedex itself).

As for kangaskan, that is a pokemon in itself and as far as I know I don't think the baby grows up. It remains in the pouch until the complete pokemon dies. which makes you wonder how one of the kangaskan lost her baby on the episode with the kangaskan kid. Maybe it was a mutant, born without a baby.

Ghost pokemon can breed, strange but it's probably pretty much like normal pokemon breeding as they are pokemon themselves. Pokemon can turn into ghost pokemon when they die but it must be pretty rare cercumstances because there would be significantly more if they never die themselves. Maybe ghost pokemon fade away once they have completed their purpose, reducing the numbers and providing a way for even the ghost pokemon to 'die'.

normal creatures also exist in the world because many a time have they been seen on someone's plate. They may however only be bred for food now because existing in the wild would be hard with all the pokemon around and would also explain why you don't see them ever. They must be kept secure or at least guarded from the many vicious pokemon that exist.

As for when pokemon die, it is pretty hard but it can happen. I think it can only happen though when the pokemon is completely out of energy, and it could only be caused by a battle if the pokemon was not healed for a long time after fainting. However they are still cautious of this because in tournaments they end the battle as soon as the pokemon is not able to move, even putting them to sleep would give you a victory.

remember the time ash found that charmander, it almost died apparently but only after being in the rain all day despite the fact that once the flame goes out it apparently will die. I think the pokemon's energy was still fueling the flame but he had to put a lot of effort into it and was almost out of energy (which would have caused him to die.) when they found him.

I think battles and fainting merely causes them to be hurt phisicaly but they probably use their energy to keep them from dieing because of the damage. Pokemon are a lot tougher then anything else on that world, which Ash probably needs to be told. He is much more likely to die from a pokemon's attack then pikachu is so he should stop being a hero.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:55 am
ya once i got a mewouth on my blue and i saved a got off then when i got back on it was gone and i dont know were it went and i was all ways wondering why there wasn't any animals in pokemon  

Kage-bushin-no-neko

Tejin Ojin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:59 am
hey toko! don't take all the credit! I was the one who started that conversation about pokémon strangness! scream
Quote:
I recently came up with...
..... Yeah RIGHT!!!! stressed  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:04 am
Ow.....

This can really make your head hurt. @@;;;  

Aoi Hikari

Romantic Prophet

15,075 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Nethilia
Captain

Liberal Member

3,450 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:25 pm
Pokémon die in the Pokémon Adventures series. There are pictures of melting zombie Pokémon, a Arbok is sliced in half, and Magmar are frozen and then shattered (as they are vicious and will hunt down people and kill them if not killed). Those are the examples I remember. It's so dark. I love it.

I also am a fan of Pokémon food, of all types. After all, some would be bred for food. Probably not poisons, unless highly controlled, but I'm not adverse to Oddish leaf salad or some Luvdisc sushi.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:43 pm
ok this is confusing but in the chansey and kangaskahn case chansey is born with an egg then evolves with the egg dose the egg ever hatch? ang with kangaskahn dose the baby ever grow up? if kangaskahn alwas has a baby why dont the babies have babies? UPDATE back to chansey in the mini series to pkmn 2000 chanseys egg is an eggsecute so chansey is able to give birth to 2 different pkmn eggsecute and itself (another chansey) this is where pkmn pisses me off stressed  

lil mo 04

lil mo 04

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:46 pm
Load Chaud
Eh, let's face it. The Pokémon World is one of fantasy. One where mythical creatures, futuristic technology, and car-driving kids (Gary in the first ep) exist. It isn't meant to be taken seriously at all.

But... I guess that's part of the fun of being a Pokémaniac. Trying to understand the logic behind Satoshi Tajiri's imaginary world.
But it just gives you a headache!

One thing I want to understand is the Poké Ball technology.
My guess is that Pokémon are transformed into energy which is carried by a Poké Ball. It certainly doesn't cram the Pokémon in its physical form. I mean, if so, no one would be able to lift a Snorlax's or Wailord's Poké Ball!

Then, comes the PC. For one, you can transfer your items back to home via the PC's network. OK, so items can also be tranformed into energy (or computer data, maybe?).
Second, is Pokémon storage. It always starts off with you sending your Pokémon to a complete stranger. How can you trust this person?! How do you know they won't do any sort of strange or sick things with your Pokémon?! Sure, later on you learn who runs the Pokémon storage system (Bill for Johto and Kanto trainers, Lanette for Hoenn trainers). But, still...

But, then agian... I guess it makes about as much sense as the BattleChip thing in MegaMan Battle Network (if MegaMan collects the chips in the Net, then how does Lan get them so he can slot-in them for MegaMan?).
on the pokeball subject then why cant people be caught?  
Pokémon Defenders

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff