Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
When did you become an atheist? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Freebird4077

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:54 pm
I never really believed in God. I have always questioned religion.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:26 pm
Seven years ago, when I went to a Catholic shcool. I lost faith in the religion, and besides... the school bit. That was when I became the heretical atheist you see today.  

Superior Jazz

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:21 pm
I BECAME one when I was like... 13.

I didn't want to ADMIT being one to myself until I came here. Up until that point, the only popular atheist I knew of was the a*****e trying to get "In God We Trust" taken off the dollar.

STILL think he's an a*****e. 70% of the USA is Christian. All that's gonna do is piss people off.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:41 pm
I started being an Atheist around 11 or 12. When I actually started listening in church rather than falling asleep I began wake up and smell the bullshit.  

Phaeton

Lilly Dark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:45 pm
I became one in November of last year  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:16 pm
I was having doubts about religion at age 8 and I became an atheist when I was 11. My mom also made an idiot of herself when she would answer the questions I asked when I was 8.

These questions include:

"Mommy? How do you know that you're following the right religion when there are so many?"

"If magic isn't real, how did Jesus cure people?"

"How is this water holy? It looks like normal water to me."  

Orson Welles

Redem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:46 pm
I was raised catholic, went to catholic schools, in a country where being catholic was a part of your identity.

At 11 I went to my local Grammar School, somewhat equivalent to High School, we had mass, religious studies the works. And I simply couldn;t accept it, I kept asking where was the evidence to back this all up. I read some of the bible, reached leviticus, and stopped there. I had no more wish to associate with that book.

From there I waxed and waned between vaguely religious, though no specific relgion, through agnosticism to atheism. After i left and went to Uni I decided on Atheism.

It was just the most reasonable standing.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:08 pm
I've always questioned religion. 3nodding

But I kept it quiet until I was about 10, which was when I figured out that my brother and father were atheist.  

Pistil

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:41 am
Lilly Dark
I became one in November of last year
So you became an Atheist just recently.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:03 am
I segwayed from agnostic to atheist when I was about twelve.  

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

Latke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:34 pm
I never really believed in god. I tried to -- I spent a lot of time trying to when I was a kid -- but I became more and more skeptical over the years, and when I was twelve or thirteen, I realized I just couldn't call myself Catholic anymore -- I didn't believe in heaven, hell, or god at all. I was kind of reluctant to let go of religion, because I was the only nonbeliever I knew, but it was pointless to associate myself with it, so I finally started calling myself an atheist. It made me feel better somehow. All was well.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:20 pm
I started to have some doubts as I went through confirmation when I was 12, but I went ahead and got confirmed and stayed pretty religious for about a year after that. I'd say I was about 14 when I realized I didn't believe in God anymore. I wanted to, but it didn't make sense to me. I can't accept things on blind faith. I hardly ever miss the security of religion anymore. I know I'm in control.  

iviary

Darth Moe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:13 pm
I've always questioned religion also... I've been through my phases though. In Jr. High I really started questioning my "faith" and have become an "official" Atheist when I was 13/14 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:07 pm
When did I become athiest? Since when wasn't I?

Some people are religious, and then after very deep and profound brain things in thier head(Line stolen from the movie Madagascar), decide that it is a bunch of bull-s**t, and stop believing.

Some people begin to realize they can think...and once thier thought processes start to work together to create sentances like "I want candy!"...begin to question all things adult.

I always looked at religion when I was younger as an adult thing. In my mind all adults were stupid, and unintelligent. I thought that when people grow up, it just means they lose creativity, and stop thinking.

I still think alone those lines at times. Yes I was exposed to the teachings, but instead of following, I rebelled. I asked questions.

I can remember this at one sunday school classroom. The lady was having us pray to ask for forgiveness for all the bad things we've done. She said that "God" only forgives once, and to make certain the one time you ask is really the right time.

I didn't understand. I thought the original saying was that this "God" was all forgiving..so what was up with this "I'll forgive you only once, and punish you on the second offense." type things? I put it on my ever growing list of personally experienced contradictories in the church.

It was unfair, the idea behind it...because usually people thought in a 3 strikes you're out mentality. I guess I became athiest when I realized that there were people out there who beleived in some false diety, and began to question things in an organized way. Does that answer it?

Sanguvixen

lilyann_alpie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:39 pm
I was agnostic from age 8-10 but all my life i have been asking questions about GOd and religion and stuff. I kept on thinking about it and I asked myself questions. I even asked my Sunday School teachers questions and well they were never directly answering my questions. I guess when I asked myself "Why do I believe in God?" I realized that all the reasons were sort of bogus. I don't think I ever really did truly believe in God, it was more of a following what my parents say thing, though many people think my Atheist thing is a stage/phase of mine.
So I've been an Atheist for about 2 years now, a little bit more.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff