Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Coming out as an atheist Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Freebird4077

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:58 pm
Did you ever come out to your parents as an atheist?

If so, how did they react to it?

My mom and stepdad know, but they don't care if I am or not.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:39 pm
My parents are athiest, I doubt they give a damn that I'm following their footsteps.  

Sors

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:29 pm
My parents didn't give a s**t.

My dad's agnostic, and my mom really doesen't care. =)  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:41 pm
Not hard at all, really. Much easier than, say, coming out of the closet (which I have yet to do). Then agian, my family doesn't care much...and I really didn't care about what they thought about it anyway....  

Orichalcon

Din_of_Serenity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:51 pm
Meh I have, my dad's alright. Me and my mom clash every now and then. Both christian.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:12 pm
Neither of my parents really care anymore.  

Orson Welles

iviary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:32 pm
I've had some very nice conversations about it with my mom, who is actually the more religious of my parents, I think.

However, my dad has this need to be in the majority about all of the major issues, I guess to avoid conflict regarding tender subjects, and he thinks I should be the same way. He gets moderately upset and gives me a lecture if I say anything that implies there isn't a god. Oh well. I could have it much much worse.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:46 pm
I told my mom right away. My dad... I don't think he knows, but he might. I don't know if it would bother him, so I'd rather not bring it up.  

Latke

Darth Moe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:56 am
Sors
My parents are athiest, I doubt they give a damn that I'm following their footsteps.

Wow I've never met Athiest parents...that's pretty awesome.

I just kind of told my mom in the car and she was like "Why?"... she's one of those ignorant Christians she just told me that "I don't understand" and that "He's just there" rolleyes Those are the lines that will never lead your child to believe unless they are completly gullible neutral

I don't think my Dad knows though.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:29 am
IhaveAPencilSharpener
Sors

Wow I've never met Athiest parents...that's pretty awesome.

I just kind of told my mom in the car and she was like "Why?"... she's one of those ignorant Christians she just told me that "I don't understand" and that "He's just there" rolleyes Those are the lines that will never lead your child to believe unless they are completly gullible neutral

I don't think my Dad knows though.
That is honestly the most interesting "coming out" story in this whole thread. We need more.  

Freebird4077

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100

Ketashia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:38 am
Neither of my parents really know, but I doubt if I told them it would affect our relationship. My mom isn't religious at all, and my dad sometimes tries but I think it's human nature coming out of him. He needs something to believe in. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:46 pm
I haven't told my parents, cause I know how they'd react, and chances are I'd end up being homeless.  

Rune WolfHaven

lilyann_alpie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:26 pm
I told my mom and stepdad....I'm starting to get converting books like crazy now. My mom and I have minor "creative discussions" about me being an Atheist. SHe goes to Church most Sundays and well...she's afraid that I'll tell her parents. Eh she is kind of....annoying about it. Let's say I still celebrate Christmas (not religiously. I just exchange presents and reunite with famil) and well I was decorating the tree with her. I dropped a glass ornament and it broke..she said it was a message from God.

John's way of dealing with it,"You believe in GOD!" and he walks away. He doesn't even go to church.....

I'm surprised they didn't disown me  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:58 pm
I've never really told anyone. I don't know if my mom or dad knows.

The way I look at it...my mom believes there is a god, but doesn't go to a church. I've never broached the subject.....and they've never invited such a topic into everyday conversation...so there is no need to tell them.

What I mean is...they arn't asking about my beleifs. I don't think they really care though.

If you're parents arn't asking, and arn't engaging in activites(or trying to engage you in activities) that go against you're belief that there is no god...than why broach the subject?

The only time they forced me to go anywhere...was about 5 years back. My sted-dad's sister sings at a church...and they wanted us there for christmas eve.

It was either go, or be denied gifts....and I went. They didn't enjoy the thing though, and since then they've never got to another religious event.

My mom is the type of person who believes there is a god, and while she thinks it is good to go to church, it isn't(in her mind) a necessity to go.

My stepdad is a racist, stereotypical b*****d(at times) who has very extreme views towards certain things. I don't think he'll be as nice to me as he is now, if I broach the subject (I'm athiest)....and I don't know exactly how he'll react.

So yeah...I've never told either, because they never asked. Don't ask, don't tell....it's the live and let live mentality.

Sanguvixen

Pistil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:40 am
I started up a conversation about religious beliefs with my mom, asking her what she believed in and what not. Then I just let it slip in. My mom was a little shocked, but not completely surprised as my dad and brother are atheists.

My sister cheated by piggy-backing on my conversation then adding "Me too" in the end. ><

So my mom is now the only religious person in the family. She doesn't even go to church, doesn't see the point in it. Her reason? "I give him my life, why should I give him half of my Sunday too when I could be doing some cleaning or going out with my family?"  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff