Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
So where are you from? And are you chinese? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How good can you speak mandarin (Chinese official language)
  Mandarin is my mothertongue
  My mothertongue is a Chinese dialect (e.g. Cantonese)
  Chinese isn't mu mothertongue, but I speak it fluently
  I am able to communicate fairly well with others
  I am only able to say a few phrases
  I can say only Nihao and a few more words
  I know only Chinese insults
  I don't know anything apart from hello in chinese
  I don't know any Chinese
View Results

Raioga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:57 am
So where are you from? And are you chinese?

Discuss how long you learn it and what is the hardest

(I am aware that I wrote a mistake in the poll
Writing mu instead of my)  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:02 am
I from Hong Kong!!!Ofcourse I'm chinese!!! I speak cantonese...I don't think its hard to speak it but hard to read and write it...  

[Monchhichi]

Essence of Crayon

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:32 pm
Me ish from Australia and know a little bit of Mandarin and Cantonese
but my main language is something similar to Hokkien sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:43 pm
i'm from hong kong and i can speak cantonese fairly well (not fluently though, but i know enough to have conversations)
i had to know it to communicate with my grandparents so i just listened to them talk and asking my mom what each word meant and then slowly building up my chinese vocabulary
then i went to chinese school for a little bit and learned to read and write a little bit, but i stopped going cause i had no time on saturdays anymore (chinese school was only on saturdays stare )  

[J.C.]

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:07 pm
I learn chinese for about 8 years now, so I'm like in level 8. I learn more chinese from watching shows than the school teaches me. xd And I'm good at speaking and know what the word means, but I suck at writing, but my writing is very nice.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:57 am
I'm a CBC; Banana; Egg Potato; I don't know what else they call me ahahaha...

Anyway my first lingo is Cantonese; however, I'm born in Canada in BC xd like the person above me, I am an illiterate crying but I can speak and listen to fluent Cantonese and a little Mandarin (speak slowly). People think I'm from Hong Kong because I can speak so well and then they give me the paper and I'm like "errr... I can't read neutral "

For all those who don't know:
CBC = canadian born chinese or chinese born canadian (I prefer the 2nd for myself)
Banana = yellow on the outside white on the inside (chinese but white washed)
Egg = white on the outside yellow on the inside (white washed but have traditional chinese values)
Potato = dumb and simple ahahaha  

DevilsLight

6,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Statustician 100

Renmauzo Cross

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:50 am
I'm Chinese Canadian. I took Chinese lessons when I was in Grade 4, but I soon quit going to Chinese school. I never seemed to be able to learn anything from it. Most likely because you had to actually UNDERSTAND chinese prior to entering Chinese school...something which I did not at the time.

Now that I'm older, I've better at understanding chinese phrases, and pick up the general meaning of conversations, though I still can't speak it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:04 pm
Im chinese, I was born in Shanghai. It's harder to write stories just like wrting in english. Details, effective introduction and ending, blah blah blah...So I speak manderin and a bit. Now I live in Canda.  

a- K0KO-

Night Rain55

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:11 pm
I'm from Quebec, Canada and I'm half Chinese. Nope, I don't speak the language but I'm learning Mandarin at a good school. So far, I understand a few words and sentences. I can write a little bit in Chinese.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:37 pm
I'm from Quebec, Canada as well. I'm a quarter Chinese and don't speak the language... >_> I speak Vietnamese at home. I wanted to go to Chinese school but I have a full and hrd schedule...

Rebirth Project

Night Rain55

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:53 pm
Moon Light Ninja
I'm from Quebec, Canada as well. I'm a quarter Chinese and don't speak the language... >_> I speak Vietnamese at home. I wanted to go to Chinese school but I have a full and hrd schedule...

I thought you were half? surprised Dude, you can go to a Chinese school on Sunday mornings like me. Come on! =D Learn Mandarin with me ^^. Come on! =D It's good for bussiness. There's some non-Asians in my class, and they're taking Mandarin lessons because they say it's good for bussiness. So come on, come on, come on, come on... >_< It's only two hours, once a week. =3  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:34 pm
Hey, Night Rain55 and Moon Light Ninja, so you guys know how to speak french right?..  

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Night Rain55

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:23 pm
xXHotBabiBluXx
Hey, Night Rain55 and Moon Light Ninja, so you guys know how to speak french right?..

Yup. We both know the language fluently. What about it?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:55 pm
Manhatten, New York!! But it's something we call CHINATOWN. XD I speak Cantonese. But i live in North Carolina now. Hey, i heard that there were people who were Chinese and spoke Cantonese alot in Venzuela or something! ...did i spell that right?  

JhonnyRaincloud

Dapper Member

` T a p i o c a `

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:33 pm
Im was born in the UK and still live in the UK. My parents are Vietnamese so they know how to speak Vietnamese very well except for me sweatdrop
Im not bothered learning Vietnamese unlike my other cousins sweatdrop
I only know how to speak cantonese and im still learning new words 3nodding I know only one word and one phrase of Vietnamese ((the vietnamese phrase is most used by one of my aunties, so i hear her say it most of the time and i know what it meant rofl ))
Sometimes my parents say that they want to send me to China or go to chinese school to improve my cantonese, but im too lazy to go to school during my spare time xd  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff