Megaman X3 The Let's Play! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Walamanchee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:59 am
The Intro

So uh I'm gonna play through Megaman X3 and commentate it.

More to come in the future.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:48 pm
The first level of the game.  

Walamanchee

Paper Sonic

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:22 pm
Oh, I totally skimmed this thread.
I didn't know YOU were LPing it XD  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:28 pm
I_love_Inuyasha1

Yep. I am.

Because I don't know. No one really watches or likes them so eh. It's fun to make them though.  

Walamanchee

The Awkwardest Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:51 pm
Raui
I_love_Inuyasha1

Yep. I am.

Because I don't know. No one really watches or likes them so eh. It's fun to make them though.

I watch, like, and make LPs.

(of course I have a bad track record of actually finishing them but that's besides the point.)
(I have one finished and two abandoned. Three abandoned if you count that Sims thing I did a while back.)  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:54 pm
The Awkwardest Turtle
Raui
I_love_Inuyasha1

Yep. I am.

(of course I have a bad track record of actually finishing them but that's besides the point.)
(I have one finished and two abandoned. Three abandoned if you count that Sims thing I did a while back.)

Yeah. I do my best to finish what I start. Although after an LP i find myself lacking motivation in making a new one or anything at all.  

Walamanchee

The Awkwardest Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:01 pm
Raui
The Awkwardest Turtle
Raui
I_love_Inuyasha1

Yep. I am.

Yeah. I do my best to finish what I start. Although after an LP i find myself lacking motivation in making a new one or anything at all.

Anyway I actually watched the video now!

Video and audio quality is good, nice job on that.

Your commentary is a bit lacking, though. You don't need to describe every little thing that happens on screen. Like, in the beginning where you narrated exactly what was happening in the cutscene while it was happening? That's really not necessary. A few seconds of silence is fine, especially when something interesting is going on.

It's a good start though!

(I realize I did this exact same thing in my WoG LP for anyone who watched that no need to point it out thanks)  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:03 pm
The Awkwardest Turtle
Raui
The Awkwardest Turtle
Raui
I_love_Inuyasha1

Yep. I am.

Your commentary is a bit lacking, though. You don't need to describe every little thing that happens on screen. Like, in the beginning where you narrated exactly what was happening in the cutscene while it was happening? That's really not necessary. A few seconds of silence is fine, especially when something interesting is going on.

(I realize I did this exact same thing in my WoG LP for anyone who watched that no need to point it out thanks)

Well I never really ever get any sort of feed back whatsoever so it's hard to tell if im doing good or not.  

Walamanchee

The Awkwardest Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:15 pm
Raui
The Awkwardest Turtle
Raui
The Awkwardest Turtle
Raui
I_love_Inuyasha1

Yep. I am.

Well I never really ever get any sort of feed back whatsoever so it's hard to tell if im doing good or not.

If you want me to give more constructive criticism I'd be glad to. I just didn't want to say any more than I did because I didn't want to potentially offend you and the video was good enough anyway.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:16 pm
Give as much you see fit. I know i'm kinda bad at LPing so it'd be nice to know how i could improve.  

Walamanchee

The Awkwardest Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:39 pm
Oooohkay.

Honestly, Mega Man LPs are a bit overdone. Searching for "let's play mega man" on Youtube gives over 7,000 results. Frankly, most Mega Man games are exactly the same, some with a few different cutscenes in the middle, but all of them follow the same basic gameplay of:
10 KILL ROBOT
20 STEAL POWER
30 USE POWER TO KILL NEW ROBOT
40 GOTO 20

Unless you find a gimmick or get some guest commentators, I can't see this LP staying interesting for very long. I've never played this particular game so I don't know how much commentary fodder it has but if later videos are just you going "and now I'm shooting this guy... and now this guy... and now I'm climbing this ladder..." without saying anything else, you have a problem. This is only the first video so I don't know how much of an issue this is really going to be, but...

You could probably work around this if you worked out what you were going to say before you recorded. Play through the level and get an idea of what to say so you don't run out of commentary mid-video. Maybe even write it down so you have something to look at if you forget? Lots of SA LPers do this.

Don't tell us what's coming before it's shown onscreen. You told us what the miniboss and the boss were before they even showed up.

Also: Don't explain the joke. You made a good joke at 1:40 then ruined it by going "MAYBE THAT'S WHY HE'S CALLED MAC" right after.

...and this ended up being less a crit of your video in particular and more of a general tips kind of thing. Fantastic!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:50 pm
The Awkwardest Turtle
Oooohkay.

Honestly, Mega Man LPs are a bit overdone. Searching for "let's play mega man" on Youtube gives over 7,000 results. Frankly, most Mega Man games are exactly the same, some with a few different cutscenes in the middle, but all of them follow the same basic gameplay of:
10 KILL ROBOT
20 STEAL POWER
30 USE POWER TO KILL NEW ROBOT
40 GOTO 20

Unless you find a gimmick or get some guest commentators, I can't see this LP staying interesting for very long. I've never played this particular game so I don't know how much commentary fodder it has but if later videos are just you going "and now I'm shooting this guy... and now this guy... and now I'm climbing this ladder..." without saying anything else, you have a problem. This is only the first video so I don't know how much of an issue this is really going to be, but...

You could probably work around this if you worked out what you were going to say before you recorded. Play through the level and get an idea of what to say so you don't run out of commentary mid-video. Maybe even write it down so you have something to look at if you forget? Lots of SA LPers do this.

Don't tell us what's coming before it's shown onscreen. You told us what the miniboss and the boss were before they even showed up.

Also: Don't explain the joke. You made a good joke at 1:40 then ruined it by going "MAYBE THAT'S WHY HE'S CALLED MAC" right after.

...and this ended up being less a crit of your video in particular and more of a general tips kind of thing. Fantastic!

Well I'd post it on SA but well I don't like posting there very much.

But yeah the subscribers i have on youtube are like COOL VIDEO RAUI which is like :/.

But pretty much all of my commentary is right spot on. I don't rehearse it at all honestly. Maybe writing it down would be better.

I also don't know if i could even get anyone to do a guest commentary. more so if it's someone over the internet.  

Walamanchee

The Awkwardest Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:00 pm
Raui
The Awkwardest Turtle
words words words

But yeah the subscribers i have on youtube are like COOL VIDEO RAUI which is like :/.

But pretty much all of my commentary is right spot on. I don't rehearse it at all honestly. Maybe writing it down would be better.

I also don't know if i could even get anyone to do a guest commentary. more so if it's someone over the internet.

yeah, I didn't expect you to post it on SA. I don't want to post anything there either because I have low self-esteem and goons are mean. >> I do have an account though.

I might be willing to guest, but we'd have to work out a time and do it over skype and do post-commentary and it would be kind of a hassle. So real-life people would be better if you can find them.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:02 pm
The Awkwardest Turtle
Raui
The Awkwardest Turtle
words words words

yeah, I didn't expect you to post it on SA. I don't want to post anything there either because I have low self-esteem and goons are mean. >> I do have an account though.

I might be willing to guest, but we'd have to work out a time and do it over skype and do post-commentary and it would be kind of a hassle. So real-life people would be better if you can find them.

Doing it with a real life person would be hard because I don't know anyone who plays videogames unless that's what you meant.

Edit:
The Awkwardest Turtle
I have low self-esteem and goons are mean. >>

YOU AND ME BOTH.  

Walamanchee

Mephisto D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:35 pm
There are a few keys to having good commentary:

1. Having enough confidence in your knowledge, as well as your abilities when it comes to the game you play.
Obviously this is a requirement. Everyone will be shy their first time around, but if you know the game well enough, and if you are decent at playing the game, you should have plenty of material to work with.

2. Doing commentary as if you were speaking to someone in the same room as you.
You always want to make your commentary sound personal. This same kind of logic applies with radio, which is why it's popular. You want your commentary to sound as if you're speaking to someone in front of you. You also want it to have individual value, as in make the person feel like you're speaking specifically to them, rather than speaking to a group.

3. It's okay to reference other things, such as movies, music, television, other games, etc. but don't overdo it.
There are 2 reasons why people do LP's or talkthroughs. Either you are trying to inform people on how to play through a game, giving your own personal strategies, or you are merely trying to entertain them. Some people like to make jokes based on various unrelated things, which is fine, but you don't want a 10 minute video with Mega Man footage while you only talk about stuff based on what you saw on television last night. You really want to strive for a happy medium of information and entertainment.

4.Speaking clearly and having good audio equipment.
Again, rather obvious. No one wants to listen to someone who constantly mumbles, stutters, or spews "uhhs" and "ums." Also, no one wants to listen to someone who's microphone is constantly popping, clipping, or sounds like static.

Rather basic stuff, but really helps out for people who are trying LPing out for the first time. If you have something good to work with, people will take notice and subscribe to your channel.  
The Gallery

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff