Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkle Motion - JULY 2012 - ON SUMMER BREAK

Back to Guilds

For Socialites, Fashionista's, and the generally Fabulous. 

Tags: Beauty, Learning, Fashion, Tutorials, Cooking 

Reply ✄ ✄ ✄D.I.Y (Do it your self ) - Post your tutorials! ✄ ✄ ✄
Knitting - 101

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Excited about knitting?
  Yup! :D
  Nope! :I
View Results

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:06 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hello! Stitch-Witches and Future Stitch-witches! In this thread, you can ,if you're a newbie, learn to knit! This first page explains basic knitting How-To. Feel free to post questions any time!

Knitting (nit-ing) is a method by which thread or yarn may be turned into cloth or other fine crafts. Knitting consists of consecutive loops, called stitches. As each row progresses, a new loop is pulled through an existing loop. The active stitches are held on a needle until another loop can be passed through them..

Knitting, is a bit harder than crochet but much easier on the hands. It is very easy to mess-up knitting if you accidentally drop a stitch or split the yarn, so be carefully until you master the art! :3

Knitting can be frustrating to get the hang of but it's very easy to memorize and much fast at creating large projects than crochet. Plus, knit items use less yarn, have less "holes" and are much lighter/thinner than crochet items.

Look at what knitting can do!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:45 am

All you need to Knit is a Pair of knitting needles and yarn! biggrin (and maybe some scissors)

-Needles-

There are many different types and sizes of needles out there. You don't need anything expensive (heck, you can use a pair of chopsticks! Just glue a bead or something on the blunt end so your stitches don't fall off and smooth out splinters! Hell, you can even use bamboo skewers for some very fine stuff! Fashion hair chopsticks actually make some pretty awesome needles!) Needles must be straight, smooth, and pointy on at least one end. Crochet hooks have to be bought, needles can be Jerry-rigged! cool

Unlike Crochet where yarn size determines hook size; in Knitting, needle size determines stitch size. Smaller needles make a finer weave and thicker ones make a loose weave.

I don't recommend metal needles. While it's important for needles to be smooth, metal ones don't have the "grip" wooden ones do. It is much easier to have a stitch slip off the end of a metal hook and mess up your project.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

-Yarn-

One of the biggest mistakes people starting out make, is spending too much on yarn. Some people get so excited, they buy yarn bundles costing $5 and up and then quit because it's "too expensive"

These people benefit you! The best place to get yarn when you are starting out is Yard/Garage/Estate Sales and Thrift Shops ( Only buy from craft stores when making something specific or super special). I have found bundle after bundle of new, unused, expensive yarns from silk and natural wool to alpaca for as low as $0.25 a bundle/ball! I even once found a small duffel bag filled to the top with Nursery grade (ultra soft) yarn in beautiful colors.

No yarn is the wrong yarn! Pick what ever is easy and comfortable to work with. For starting out, I have found thick simple yarns to be best. Leave the novelty yarns for professionals. wink And yes, just like crochet, thread can be used for knitting if you have the skill to work that small.

Left to right: Novelty Yarn, Crochet Thread, Simple Yarn
User Image

-Useful Stuff-
- Needle Caps (Important! These rubbery little eraser looking things are SUPER useful! They go on the pointy end of your needle so your stitches don't fall off when you take a break or put them away.)
- Scissors
- Stitch markers (little clip on charms or scrap yarn bits or safety pins)
- Measuring tape
- Tapestry needle
- Bag for your stuff (I use a bible case to carry my current project and hooks so I can grab and take it everywhere at any time)
-Cookies (chocolate is recommended)

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:46 am

Unlike crochet, there is only one main stitch to knitting. All knit patterns consist of knits and purls. A purl stitch is a knit stitch done in reverse. If you make a square of fabric with the knit stitch, turn it over and that is how it would look if you had used the purl stitch! 3nodding

First, just like crochet, you start all projects with a Slipknot Tie a slipknot on your needle and we can get started!.

Click Here For A Tutorial Video On The Basics!

You can continue on your own from there with the other videos on This Channel. I don't do much knitting myself but for a great website with tutorials and patters, visit www.knitpicks.com.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:47 am

Have a project you would like to share? PM me and it will be posted right here!

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:50 am

Have a project you're super proud of? Post it, and I'll stick it on the refrigerator for all to see! biggrin

✄ ✄ ✄D.I.Y (Do it your self ) - Post your tutorials! ✄ ✄ ✄

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games