Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Would you regret having been an Atheist? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you regret it?
  Yes
  No
  Gimme gold.
View Results

Tiptoer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:22 pm
First off, Let me just say, I'm coming back to Gaia after like 2 months of not posting, cuz I'm bored now, lol. Anyways, back on topic.

Hypothetically, suppose that when you die, and someway, somehow, there is a God and Hell, and etc. Obviously, you are going to be sent to Hell, but, the question is, will you regret having been an atheist, and wish that you had "Seen the Light."

I, personally, won't, because the only person to blame is myself, and it would be my punishment. Now, Hell would probably suck, but if I set a paradigm that I DESERVE to be there, then I don't think it would mater. Plus, I mean, eventually you'd get use to the pain and suffering, right?

Sidenote: Ehh, this is a stupid topic now that I think of it, lol.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:49 pm
No... I wouldn't want to be in Heaven with a God who punished me because I excercised my "free will" of thought...  

Darth Moe

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:16 pm
Hell no. No regrets in life. Or death, even.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:38 am
Hmm, superior, if you have no regrets in lief, does that mean you don't dwell on things in the past? If so, I don't see any easy way to learn lessons in life.  

Tiptoer

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:08 pm
No, I don't dwell on the past. And life's lessons are never easy to learn, no matter what it is.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:14 pm
"Hell" is the worst possible pain and hurt and badness that could be bestowed upon your soul. By definition it is WORSE than being in god's heaven. Saying otherwise, even hypothetically, is ignorant and prideful.  

Grand Moff Locket

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:09 pm
I would be a little more surprised considering how illogical religion is. I wouldn't regret my Atheism, though.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:20 pm
I wouldn't regret being an atheist. I would be angry that I was condemned to eternal pain and suffering by a fellow in the sky that favors those who shower him with praise. And if we can make it through the pain, all the folks you would actually want to hang out with will be down in Hell with us. No self-righteous [insert religion]ians here. Party on Level 6. All Heretics are welcome.  

iviary

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:54 pm
I totally agree. This 'god' character seems awfully like an eight-year-old. If I need to give this old gaffer my attention, just so I don't burn forever, I'll take hell. I'll be busy with the overlords way down in Level Eight, man. Such fun down there.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:21 pm
Actually untill the Catholic Church came along, "Hell" was merely the absence of God. In otherwords, we're in hell, we've been in hell, we're going to hell ,and we'll allways be in hell. ...Cause we're atheists. whee  

Phaeton

subtleessence134

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:28 pm
I would rather suffer a thousand eternities in Hell through my own volition than live falsely to myself. I am a man of the Way through and through; nothing can, or will, change that.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Phaeton
Actually untill the Catholic Church came along, "Hell" was merely the absence of God. In otherwords, we're in hell, we've been in hell, we're going to hell ,and we'll allways be in hell. ...Cause we're atheists. whee

Oh, good call...
I'm having fun pissing off Christian fanatics.  

Superior Jazz

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:59 am
Let me put it this way.

I you have a kid, you give him money, take him to the mall...and tell him to go off and buy whatever he wants, than you have given him the free will to buy anything.

Then after he leaves you could go get a slice of pizza and chow down on it. However, who are you to complain if he goes and blows all of his money on a super violent video game?

Did you not tell him that he could buy whatever he wants? If you didn't want him to buy that super violent video game, than you should have have given him limits. Instead of going off to feed you're gut, you should have accompanied you're son shopping to make certain he doesn't do what you don't want him to do.

The same thing applies with this god idea and heaven/hell.

I would not regret atheism if there is a heaven and hell. Why? Because I would be one of the majority showing him that he is flawed.

The entire idea is foolish! You create something, and give it a world to live in. You provide no boundries, and you, the Creator, decide to not show yourself in the world of you're creation.

What can you expect? You are not on the world to prove you're existance.
You do not provide any factual proof for you're creations that you are real.
You do not provide anything to create limits on you're creation.
By giving them a free will you must also make you're presence known.

You must take responsiblity. You send your son down to challange the faith of you're creations. Then you're creations kill your son.

The mistake is made. Are you going to allow them to continue, until they bring about thier own extinction, or be an arrogent a** and destory them through some dooms day event?

By not destorying the angel that you cast from you're realm for wanting you're position, and allowing him to run free to corrupt you're creations, you are showing yourself to not be omni-potent.

In fact all of you're behavior suggests that you do not exist. When people turn from you, and stop beleiving you, how can you be angry?

I personally will not show any gratitude towards a god that is wrathful to us, when he is the one who made the mistake. If I find myself confronting him after death, I will be proof of his flaws, and failure. I will take pleasure in being his irregularity.

So far the cards are stacked against religion. There is no evidence that a god exists, and plenty of research showing that we could have came about just like all the other animals on this planet.

I only have once chance to live as I can see. I will live myself to the fullest, and indulge on my free will. If it means that I will be punished after death, so be it.

As far as I am concerned, god doesn't exist, jesus is not my savior, and when I die, my vision will bleed into black and white, my time is over, and my body will decay and return to the earth that it spawned from.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:30 pm
I woudent have any regrets. I lived my life not kissing the a** of a superior being that their was no scientific proof exsisted. I dont see any shame in that. I was once told that as long as you accept Chrst and belive in God you can kill people and still not go to Hell. If thats true then why would I want to live in a place thats ruled by a lord that lets people who commit murder go to heaven just for giving him attetion and atheists who have done nothing wrong burn in hell?  

Zambimaru

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:10 pm
I would probably regret it.

Were there a God, and were we created in his image, a likley scenario would be that he himself is amazingly vain. Otherwise, why would we be damned for seeking the truth?

It would also provide a theist's excuse for why bad things happen.

So, teenage rebellion aside, I'd be kicking my own hot-coal-filled a** for the rest of eternity for not bowing down before the big bejewled hand in the sky!  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff