Submit

Lucky-Emi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:08 pm
Here are some stereotypes that really tick me off:

-All Christians hate Yaoi and yuri
-All Christians are homophobic
-Christians think they are better than everyone
-Christians hate atheists

These are some things that have been said to me since I put "I'm a Christian" on my profile. In truth, the only thing true about me in all those stereotypes is that I hate yaoi and yuri. Of course, hentai isn't any better. It just ticks me off so bad when non-believers assume that we are all horrible people.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:45 pm
There are a lot of non-believers that think those things about Christians. But we are guilty of it too. There are a lot of Christians out there who assume the worst from non-believers just because their faith (or lack of) is different than ours.

Wishboxx

Lucky-Emi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:48 pm
Wishboxx
There are a lot of non-believers that think those things about Christians. But we are guilty of it too. There are a lot of Christians out there who assume the worst from non-believers just because their faith (or lack of) is different than ours.

True, and I can't stand the self-proclaimed "Christians" that do that crap either. But there are the non-believers that assume we all have the exact same personality.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:53 pm
You're always going to have stereotypes, regardless of the group. You know? There will also always be those few that support and uphold the stereotype. But just be the change you want to see and set a good example for others. You're a representative of the Lord. So lead by example.

Wishboxx

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:26 am
all religions have bad stereotypes, but i think that christianity gets it the worst because its such a huge religion and quite a few tell everyone they are going to hell

i enjoy reading yaoi and yuri, i support the gay community, god still loves me and im happy with that.

and the only reason i wil hate an athiest is when they give me a reason to hate them. if one comes at me and bashes my religion just to cause drama, or runs over my cat then yes, im a bit inclined to not like that person. otherwise im fine with them and any other faith  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:30 am
One thing I've notice when Christians mess up non believers love to put us under a microscope and tease us.. Your not perfect... Well what do you expect Christians am human like everyone one else, We make mistakes just like you. That grinds my gears.  

Nyssa Traken

Fighting Fefnir

Perfect Winner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:46 pm
Sprit_of_the_wind
One thing I've notice when Christians mess up non believers love to put me under a microscope and tease us.. Your not perfect... Well what do you expect Christians am human like everyone one else, We make mistakes just like you. That grinds my gears.

:: cough cough ::

'Non-believers love to put me under a microscope'. Based on the sentence, and how you shifted from general to personal and then back to general, I can extrapolate that you are in fact generalizing based on your personal experience and have incidentally made a Freudian slip.

The other option is that you have a poor grasp of English grammatical structure as evinced by statements such as 'Christians am humans' and have failed to correct a previous draft of the statement sufficiently.

With that out of the way, I'll point out that, while human, Christians hold themselves to a different, stricter standard when compared to non-believers. I have no higher power to please with my actions, and no specific rules to live by past the laws of my country and my own common decency, whereas you have rule upon rule and guide upon guide with which to condemn not only yourselves, but the rest of us as well. You have endlessly restrictive beliefs that affect every facet of your life, actions, and thinking, and this is what makes you an easier target for criticism.

An example: it's the difference between someone who has been taking lessons at something their entire life and is a professional at what they do pointing at someone just learning the skill and saying 'why don't I get do-overs too'. It's absurd to think someone who is not learned in the art can or will adhere to the higher expectations of the professional, just as it is absurd to think that the Christian can be held to the same standard as the non-believer.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:05 pm
Please forgive the grammar. It is very difficult to type with one good working hand and the fact I was only going on 3 hours of sleep.  

Nyssa Traken

Lusitana

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:33 pm
Fighting Fefnir
Sprit_of_the_wind
One thing I've notice when Christians mess up non believers love to put me under a microscope and tease us.. Your not perfect... Well what do you expect Christians am human like everyone one else, We make mistakes just like you. That grinds my gears.

The other option is that you have a poor grasp of English grammatical structure as evinced by statements such as 'Christians am humans' and have failed to correct a previous draft of the statement sufficiently.
♩♪♫ 𝔪𝔲𝔰𝔦𝔠 𝔱𝔬 𝔪𝔶 𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔰 ♫♪♩

gosh weren't you mean now?! :S

(i hope you'll forgive me too right now if i failed, for i am not even english... xD)  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:39 pm
Luna it's alright. We all have our differences. That's what makes this world unique. Back on topic now. (sorry ya'll) When other people throw other materiel in your face and want you to instantly believe. That is another Gerr for me.  

Nyssa Traken

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:40 pm
Fighting Fefnir
Sprit_of_the_wind

'Non-believers love to put me under a microscope'. Based on the sentence, and how you shifted from general to personal and then back to general, I can extrapolate that you are in fact generalizing based on your personal experience and have incidentally made a Freudian slip.

With that out of the way, I'll point out that, while human, Christians hold themselves to a different, stricter standard when compared to non-believers. I have no higher power to please with my actions, and no specific rules to live by past the laws of my country and my own common decency, whereas you have rule upon rule and guide upon guide with which to condemn not only yourselves, but the rest of us as well. You have endlessly restrictive beliefs that affect every facet of your life, actions, and thinking, and this is what makes you an easier target for criticism.

An example: it's the difference between someone who has been taking lessons at something their entire life and is a professional at what they do pointing at someone just learning the skill and saying 'why don't I get do-overs too'. It's absurd to think someone who is not learned in the art can or will adhere to the higher expectations of the professional, just as it is absurd to think that the Christian can be held to the same standard as the non-believer.

I love how he pokes fun at her typing yet says "evinced" when actually pointing it out.

Please be respectful, Fefnir. I will not tolerate the abuse of guild members.

Fefnir, you must not understand Christianity very well if you believe that Christians must follow every law in the Old Testament. Christians do hold themselves to refraining from sin, to the best of their abilities, out of love for Christ.

Everyone is held to the same standard.

Romans 2:10-11

But there will be glory and honor and peace from God for all who do good--for the Jew first and also for the Gentile. For God does not show favoritism.

Also, everyone has sinned and fallen short. (Romans 3:23)

Romans 3:27-28 states:

Can we boast, then, that we have done anything to be accepted by God? No, because our acquittal is not based on obeying the law. It is based on faith. So we are made right with God through faith and not by obeying the law.

Our "rule" is that we need to have faith in Jesus Christ. When we have true faith, it will show in our works (James 2:26). James stated what he stated because new Christians believed that they could do whatever they wanted so long as they had "faith". He was battling false beliefs.

But we will love the Lord our God and we will love our neighbors as ourselves if we have true faith. We are not perfect, but we are counted righteous because of our faith in Christ, not by being slaves to the Law.

Also, I must ask you again to please change the curse word in your signature. If it has to be mofo, fine. That is better than the current word. Please. ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:46 am
Scarlet_Teardrops
Fighting Fefnir
Sprit_of_the_wind

I love how he pokes fun at her typing yet says "evinced" when actually pointing it out.

Evinced.

Quote:
Please be respectful, Fefnir. I will not tolerate the abuse of guild members.

I was succinct, polite, and to the best of my ability not offensive in any way. I stated fact as best as I could with no attempts to anger or otherwise provoke. I can't do more than that.

Quote:
Fefnir, you must not understand Christianity very well if you believe that Christians must follow every law in the Old Testament.

I was raised in Christian belief, actually. I believe you complained about me putting words in your mouth before, so I will ask you not to do me the same disservice. I will note that I have previously stated that Old Testament laws should not be upheld and for the most part are not in our previous discussion, so to say that I hold the opposite belief now is a bit absurd. I will also note that you had attempted to justify an Old Testament law regarding homosexuality as referenced in the New Testament, though this is not the point of the discussion, and I will not continue the line of reasoning therein out of respect for the guild captain's wishes in closing that thread.

Quote:
Christians do hold themselves to refraining from sin, to the best of their abilities, out of love for Christ.

Which is the higher standard I was referring to. Non-believers have no reason to refrain from sin because they do not believe in Christ and in that have no love in the sense you refer to for him.

Quote:
Everyone is held to the same standard.

In your Christian belief. Those who do not believe in Christ do not have any reason to follow the teachings he has given, and thereby do not hold themselves to the same standard as you.

Quote:
Romans 2:10-11

But there will be glory and honor and peace from God for all who do good--for the Jew first and also for the Gentile. For God does not show favoritism.

Did we forget the Jews, God's chosen people? Or all of the races that were exterminated in the wake of the Jewish tribal conquests in Gaza?

Quote:
Also, everyone has sinned and fallen short. (Romans 3:23)

In the Christian belief. Those who don't believe have no reason to think they are sinners, nor that they must be better people in order to rise above their sinful nature. They are not incited to action or to better conduct based on this.

Quote:
Romans 3:27-28 states:

Can we boast, then, that we have done anything to be accepted by God? No, because our acquittal is not based on obeying the law. It is based on faith. So we are made right with God through faith and not by obeying the law.

James would disagree, for he says 'faith that is without works is dead faith'. Faith must also be enacted, not just held. It is not only a result of faith, but a requisite. In fact, all of James chapter two contradicts Paul's statement here.

Quote:
Our "rule" is that we need to have faith in Jesus Christ. When we have true faith, it will show in our works (James 2:26). James stated what he stated because new Christians believed that they could do whatever they wanted so long as they had "faith". He was battling false beliefs.

Were not Abraham and Rahab justified by their works? In regard to higher standards, James notes in 2:10 that "Whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." You must in fact follow all the restrictions of your religious belief, such as not committing adultery, not lying, and not killing, when there are no intrinsic problems with performing such actions outside of the social ramifications thereof. This is what James is talking about when he says 'faith without works is dead'. Christians must please God in action, thought, and belief, while the non-believer has no such compulsion.

Quote:
But we will love the Lord our God and we will love our neighbors as ourselves if we have true faith. We are not perfect, but we are counted righteous because of our faith in Christ, not by being slaves to the Law.

The non-believer does not have to love his neighbor, nor have faith, nor does he see the need in believing he is righteous in the eyes of a God he does not believe in.

To summarize, when attempting to say that Christians do not have to adhere to a higher standard, it has been ignored that the non-believer has no compulsion to perform actions that are required of Christians. For example, a non-believer does not feel the need to have faith, a requirement of Christianity. The non-believer does not need to redeem himself in the eyes of God, for he believes in neither his sinful nature nor the God that needs to be pleased. He does not have to follow the laws to which James refers, which govern actions, nor does he have a faith with which to enact works. Non-believers are not required to spread any 'good news', and do not need to tithe monthly.

I submit that it is impossible to hold one to a standard for which there is no perceived reason to accept, including but not limited to the goal of attaining paradise after death via satisfying the demands of a deity.

Quote:
Also, I must ask you again to please change the curse word in your signature. If it has to be mofo, fine. That is better than the current word. Please. ^_^

I'd been thinking about changing it, but haven't gotten something else to put there. Also, doesn't Gaia have a word filter so that those who do not wish to see profanity do not have to see it?  

Fighting Fefnir

Perfect Winner

squeakygirl
Captain

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:46 am
Fighting Fefnir - I appreciate that you are wanting others to see your point of view on things...but PLEASE remember that this is a Christian Guild.

Respect - it was not respectful of you to make a statement regarding grammar, no matter how nice you were in making the statement.

Yes, Christians try to uphold ourselves in light of a Greater Power (GOD)....but, we are human. To err is human. The only perfect being there ever was, was Jesus. We are not Jesus and never can be. We strive to do our best, yes we fail, but regardless of our failures we are still loved and forgiven, provided we ask for forgiveness.

Fefnir, if you continue to act in the manner that you do, you will be removed from the guild. I have been tolerant, but I do not wish for those who have joined this guild for a reason to have to deal with some of the things you post.

Since I was not the one that approved your join request, may I ask the reason in which you chose to join our guild?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:44 pm
squeakygirl
Fighting Fefnir - I appreciate that you are wanting others to see your point of view on things...but PLEASE remember that this is a Christian Guild.

Respect - it was not respectful of you to make a statement regarding grammar, no matter how nice you were in making the statement.

Yes, Christians try to uphold ourselves in light of a Greater Power (GOD)....but, we are human. To err is human. The only perfect being there ever was, was Jesus. We are not Jesus and never can be. We strive to do our best, yes we fail, but regardless of our failures we are still loved and forgiven, provided we ask for forgiveness.

Fefnir, if you continue to act in the manner that you do, you will be removed from the guild. I have been tolerant, but I do not wish for those who have joined this guild for a reason to have to deal with some of the things you post.

Since I was not the one that approved your join request, may I ask the reason in which you chose to join our guild?

Yes, I quite realize that this is a Christian guild. This does not help me to understand in what way I am being disrespectful. I indicated the spelling error so that the person could help herself (it was a her, I think) and prevent said error in the future, not in order to offend. She took it well, in fact, corrected the error somewhat, and things had moved on, so I don't see how it is important to bring it up again, as neither party had any problem with the statement. I can agree to avoid doing so in the future, though it kills my soul a bit, seeing as I'm studying to become an English teacher. ^^;;

I don't understand the context in which your making the statement about Jesus being God, as it isn't a response to the point I made about Christians being held to a higher standard, so the best that I can figure is that you made a general statement to the others who had posted. It's just a bit of a non-sequitur in terms of the discussion, though.

Can you please tell me what it is that I'm doing or saying that others should not 'have to deal with'? I have been earnest in my attempts to add to the topics that I post in and within those posts have been sincere and honest to the best of my ability based on what I have learned. While I will admit that my conduct was less than stellar when debating with Scarlet, the unbiased reader will find equal shares of disrespect from the both of us. I am not bothered by the fact in the slightest, because the debates actually made me do the research and I found them enjoyable.

As for my reason in joining this guild, I like to debate, and I like to learn about Christian theology. I figured here I could do both.  

Fighting Fefnir

Perfect Winner

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:27 pm
Fighting Fefnir
squeakygirl

Yes, I quite realize that this is a Christian guild. This does not help me to understand in what way I am being disrespectful. I indicated the spelling error so that the person could help herself (it was a her, I think) and prevent said error in the future, not in order to offend. She took it well, in fact, corrected the error somewhat, and things had moved on, so I don't see how it is important to bring it up again, as neither party had any problem with the statement. I can agree to avoid doing so in the future, though it kills my soul a bit, seeing as I'm studying to become an English teacher. ^^;;

I don't understand the context in which your making the statement about Jesus being God, as it isn't a response to the point I made about Christians being held to a higher standard, so the best that I can figure is that you made a general statement to the others who had posted. It's just a bit of a non-sequitur in terms of the discussion, though.

Can you please tell me what it is that I'm doing or saying that others should not 'have to deal with'? I have been earnest in my attempts to add to the topics that I post in and within those posts have been sincere and honest to the best of my ability based on what I have learned. While I will admit that my conduct was less than stellar when debating with Scarlet, the unbiased reader will find equal shares of disrespect from the both of us. I am not bothered by the fact in the slightest, because the debates actually made me do the research and I found them enjoyable.

As for my reason in joining this guild, I like to debate, and I like to learn about Christian theology. I figured here I could do both.

i think that it may be that you havent been off to the best start in the guild with your debates with scarlet so some of us are a bit wary about some of your intents. ive seen plenty of threads outside of the guild where people would post just to be rude to christians. im not saying your doing that though so please dont take it that way. i hope you understand what im trying to say, im really terrible with explaining things sweatdrop

i dont know if everyone feels that way or not, thats just what im assuming.  
~Ancient Scrolls~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff