Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Physical Correlations with Psi Phenomena Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:00 pm
Note: This was previously posted in the MPRILC.

Something that a lot of people don't know about psychic phenomena is that there are documented physical correlations with the manifestation of psi abilities. The examples that I am aware of are:

Geomagnetic Activity: The work of M. A. Persinger and G. B. Schaut, and W. G. Roll and L. Gearhart shows that spontaneous cases of telepathy correlate negatively with fluctuations in geomagnetic activity while "poltergeist" activity (or Recurrent Spontaneous Psychokinetic Activity, if you want to use the more modern term) correlates positively with fluctuations in geomagnetic activity. D. Radin has shown that in some cases animal psi also correlates with geomagnetic fluctuations.

Local Sidereal Time: It has been shown by both E. C. May and S. J. P. Spottiswoode that the results of ESP studies correlates with Local Sidereal Time (LST). For those unfamiliar with LST, it is the position of the stars relative to the observer. It was found that the ESP scores increase three-fold within an hour either way of 13:30 LST. Most of the data used in this study was collected at northern latitudes and at 13:30 LST for these latitudes the center of the galaxy is below the horizon.

Electrodermal Activity: This is the electrical activity of the skin. W. G. Braud, M. J. Schlitz, D. Radin, and S. LaBerge have all done work in this area. It has been found that attempting to influence another person by psi has effects on skin conductivity. This change in skin conductivity can also occur precognitively. When emotionally provocative pictures are presented to the individual, the skin conductance, heart rate, and blood volume are affected not only when the picture is shown but two seconds before the picture is shown. Neutral or calm pictures interspersed with the provocative ones do not get this same response.

The first and the last one of these makes me lean towards an electromagnetic theory of psi. I see that as being the most easily assimilated into what we already know. There are some problems with the EM theory though because Faraday cages seem to have little or no effect on psi functioning and distance does not seem to be an issue in some studies. This is perplexing because we think we know the limitations and abilities of electromagnetism and the aforementioned properties seem to defy them.

Anyway, I was hoping this would stir some discussion. Maybe I'll make another topic sometime about the psychological factors associated with manifestations of psi.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:16 pm
So this may be the key to mastering the "Invisible Art".

*Invisible Art is the name given to psionics within the roleplay board game, Forgotten Realms.  

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200

Abbot_Natalis

Savage Genius

2,850 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 am
Electromagnetic Theory of Psi eh? It is odd that Faraday Cages don't have much of an effect, but that would have to be studied more extensively. It makes sense to me that psionic phenomena have a basis in electromagnetic energy based on personal experience.

One of the reasons I study Psionics is due to the fact that it most accurately explains my ability to disrupt electronics through focus. I wish I had some lab equipment so I could look into this more, but I'll explain what I know:

Ever since I was in elementary school, watching Dragonball Z and trying to focus my "ki" into my hands, I've felt this energy that makes my right hand tingle. At first I thought I was just fooling my mind into thinking I was actually doing something, but over the years, I got much better at it. I used to be able to sleep in such a way that I could keep building up the energy while I slept at night which... I didn't really have any practical use for, but I thought it was cool to have so much energy built up that I could hardly feel my hands.

One morning though, after I had been doing this all night, I got up and went downstairs to watch some TV. However, I guess there was a power-outage at night, and the stereo system LED display was not only blinking, but the Volume display was cycling repeatedly from 1-50 like 1, 2, 3, 4, ... 48, 49, 50, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

The weird thing was: even if I turned the dial for the volume, it would cap out at 50... not go back to 0. So I looked for the remote and found it on the table and I took the batteries out. No effect. I figured it was an electrical problem because it was going from 50-0.

When I first get up in the morning, I lose most of the energy I build up because I can't keep it under control and move at the same time very well. Even though I had lost most of the energy, I got the idea to stick my hand up to the dial of the volume. Before I could even touch the dial, as soon as my hands came within 2-3 inches of it, the volume locked up and the display stopped blinking. I thought this was AWESOME.

So I toyed around with it: Moved my hand away and it started blinking and cycling again. If I stuck my hand near it, but purposely didn't build up any energy, it would keep cycling, then I could build it up and lock the display up again.

I was having a verified effect on an electronic AT WILL without TOUCHING it or anything else that could effect it.

It was like 7am and everyone else was sleeping in on the weekend. (I'm a morning person) I snuck upstairs and woke up my brother to show him. At first he though he was being pranked, but I showed him the remote. Then I showed him I could do it at will. He tried to emulate what I was doing a few times, failed, told me I was weird, and then he went back upstairs to sleep. (We were in middle school then, now we're in college and he no longer remembers that morning because I hadn't brought it up to him in 6 or so years at least. :/)

After he went back up to sleep, I decided to do the same. I couldn't watch TV with the volume fluctuating like that anyway. I figured I'd sleep for now, and show my mom (who has always been new-agey) when she woke up. When I woke up near noon, and went to turn the stereo system back on, it was no longer having an issue. D:

Since that day, I got distracted with school and such (I wasn't doing well) and stopped really practicing that ability. It has only been the last year or so that I started doing so occasionally again. Now I can feel the energy in BOTH of my hands, but my left hand less so. I have trouble building the energy while sleeping now (because I find it uncomfortable to sleep in that position now), and I haven't recently been able to find anything I can effect with it.

Aside from that day, I feel like I either don't have enough energy built up to influence anything, or that I have trouble releasing it.

Also, I sometimes think that I might not have actually woken up at 7am, that I just slept till noon for some reason, and that it was a dream. However, during the day that day, my brother actually requested that I show my mom what I could do, however, the stereo was not malfunctioning, so I couldn't show her, and just wound up explaining what was going wrong with the stereo system that morning without mentioning what I was doing.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:41 pm
Abbot_Natalis
Electromagnetic Theory of Psi eh? It is odd that Faraday Cages don't have much of an effect, but that would have to be studied more extensively. It makes sense to me that psionic phenomena have a basis in electromagnetic energy based on personal experience.

One of the reasons I study Psionics is due to the fact that it most accurately explains my ability to disrupt electronics through focus. I wish I had some lab equipment so I could look into this more, but I'll explain what I know:

Ever since I was in elementary school, watching Dragonball Z and trying to focus my "ki" into my hands, I've felt this energy that makes my right hand tingle. At first I thought I was just fooling my mind into thinking I was actually doing something, but over the years, I got much better at it. I used to be able to sleep in such a way that I could keep building up the energy while I slept at night which... I didn't really have any practical use for, but I thought it was cool to have so much energy built up that I could hardly feel my hands.

One morning though, after I had been doing this all night, I got up and went downstairs to watch some TV. However, I guess there was a power-outage at night, and the stereo system LED display was not only blinking, but the Volume display was cycling repeatedly from 1-50 like 1, 2, 3, 4, ... 48, 49, 50, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

The weird thing was: even if I turned the dial for the volume, it would cap out at 50... not go back to 0. So I looked for the remote and found it on the table and I took the batteries out. No effect. I figured it was an electrical problem because it was going from 50-0.

When I first get up in the morning, I lose most of the energy I build up because I can't keep it under control and move at the same time very well. Even though I had lost most of the energy, I got the idea to stick my hand up to the dial of the volume. Before I could even touch the dial, as soon as my hands came within 2-3 inches of it, the volume locked up and the display stopped blinking. I thought this was AWESOME.

So I toyed around with it: Moved my hand away and it started blinking and cycling again. If I stuck my hand near it, but purposely didn't build up any energy, it would keep cycling, then I could build it up and lock the display up again.

I was having a verified effect on an electronic AT WILL without TOUCHING it or anything else that could effect it.

It was like 7am and everyone else was sleeping in on the weekend. (I'm a morning person) I snuck upstairs and woke up my brother to show him. At first he though he was being pranked, but I showed him the remote. Then I showed him I could do it at will. He tried to emulate what I was doing a few times, failed, told me I was weird, and then he went back upstairs to sleep. (We were in middle school then, now we're in college and he no longer remembers that morning because I hadn't brought it up to him in 6 or so years at least. :/)

After he went back up to sleep, I decided to do the same. I couldn't watch TV with the volume fluctuating like that anyway. I figured I'd sleep for now, and show my mom (who has always been new-agey) when she woke up. When I woke up near noon, and went to turn the stereo system back on, it was no longer having an issue. D:

Since that day, I got distracted with school and such (I wasn't doing well) and stopped really practicing that ability. It has only been the last year or so that I started doing so occasionally again. Now I can feel the energy in BOTH of my hands, but my left hand less so. I have trouble building the energy while sleeping now (because I find it uncomfortable to sleep in that position now), and I haven't recently been able to find anything I can effect with it.

Aside from that day, I feel like I either don't have enough energy built up to influence anything, or that I have trouble releasing it.

Also, I sometimes think that I might not have actually woken up at 7am, that I just slept till noon for some reason, and that it was a dream. However, during the day that day, my brother actually requested that I show my mom what I could do, however, the stereo was not malfunctioning, so I couldn't show her, and just wound up explaining what was going wrong with the stereo system that morning without mentioning what I was doing.

That's a pretty awesome story. I've never had an experience quite as profound as that as regards psychokinetic activity (that I'm aware of).

It's been proposed that ELF waves might be the psi carrier as they could pass through a Faraday cage fairly unimpeded. The difficulty is that ELF waves cannot carry information very well. This idea regards ESP specifically and doesn't really bear much on PK as far as I can tell.

My opinion is that psi is closely allied with electromagnetism but seems to display characteristics that defy what we currently know about electromagnetism. It makes the most sense to me that perhaps electromagnetism is the means that psi interacts with the macroscopic world, but the observations kick a small monkey wrench into that.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Abbot_Natalis

Savage Genius

2,850 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:51 am
Interesting.

If I could get better at actually influencing things with this energy and get my hands on some equipment, I feel like that'd do wonders for what we know of Psionics.

Hell... If I got good enough, I'd take it to a lab personally and let the scientists sort it out.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:10 pm
Maybe you can contact that guy from the website. There's a guy who's doing studies on this stuff for years. I bet that works.  

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:55 pm
Abbot_Natalis
Hell... If I got good enough, I'd take it to a lab personally and let the scientists sort it out.

That's how I feel about it. Then I'd take James Randi's money.

Cain Elite
Maybe you can contact that guy from the website. There's a guy who's doing studies on this stuff for years. I bet that works.

It would surprise me if the guy that runs Psychic Science responds to emails like that. I bet he gets them all the time. Might be worth a try though.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:24 pm
Well, I guess I'll just have to make it a goal to be able to duplicate my previous success to some degree.

If I can manage it, it might renew scientific interest in Psychic phenomenon.  

Abbot_Natalis

Savage Genius

2,850 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • PvP 200

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:10 am
Abbot_Natalis
Well, I guess I'll just have to make it a goal to be able to duplicate my previous success to some degree.

If I can manage it, it might renew scientific interest in Psychic phenomenon.

That's a lot harder than it seems. If you go to the media you will be seen as a conjurer and it will probably be hard to find an academic to back you up given the stigma around parapsychology. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try though. If you can legitimately do something that is unambiguous enough then I say go for it.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:46 pm
Obscurus
Abbot_Natalis

Cain Elite

It would surprise me if the guy that runs Psychic Science responds to emails like that. I bet he gets them all the time. Might be worth a try though.
You never know until you try.  

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:40 pm
Cain Elite
Obscurus
Abbot_Natalis

Cain Elite

This is true.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:43 pm
Obscurus
Cain Elite
Obscurus
Abbot_Natalis

Cain Elite

This is true.
So get to trying already, I wanna see psychic powers by next Monday. XD  

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150

Abbot_Natalis

Savage Genius

2,850 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:27 pm
Cain Elite
Obscurus
Cain Elite
Obscurus
Abbot_Natalis

Cain Elite

This is true.

I can't do it by then! D:

...actually... maybe I SHOULD set some goal points that I try to reach them by. It may serve as good motivation.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:28 pm
Abbot_Natalis
Cain Elite
Obscurus
Cain Elite
Obscurus

This is true.

...actually... maybe I SHOULD set some goal points that I try to reach them by. It may serve as good motivation.

That might not be a bad idea. I'd suggest trying for something verifiable though.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:31 pm
Abbot_Natalis
Cain Elite
Obscurus
Cain Elite
Obscurus

This is true.

By Friday, I wanna see you attempt to power a LCD light with pure thought. XD  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces