Lightsabers are very possible! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:40 am
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/the-science-the-science/706214

Damn, we need that power supply fast. Such a power supply may solve global warming and fossil fuel problems, but who the hell cares? We'll have lightsabers until they're outlawed!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:33 pm
Wow, it's possible? Just need a big power pack. lol.

For now they could just carry the power pack on huge tank, and attach the light sabors to it with extention cords!  

Mukuchina Kurasu

Chief Chilly

4,500 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:03 pm
Actually, it was proven that a lightsaber could be built within the next 20 or so years. That one dude that does SciFi Science, forgot his name, proved it.

I isn't a lightsaber that actually uses light to cut through things because of various properties that light has. It high near impossible to hold light in one place for an extended period of time, forcing lasers out of the build. But they said it could be something like a high energy plasma sword. Using a magnetic rod to pump plasma out of the sword, you can have a theoretical lightsaber that can cut through anything but a type of ceramic used in the rod.

As for the matter of power, it was said you could use carbon nanotubes, which are highly conductive and very small, to power the thing. You can fit miles worth of nanotubes into the holster of the sword, providing you enough power to.....power it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:26 pm
Chief Chilly
Actually, it was proven that a lightsaber could be built within the next 20 or so years. That one dude that does SciFi Science, forgot his name, proved it.

I isn't a lightsaber that actually uses light to cut through things because of various properties that light has. It high near impossible to hold light in one place for an extended period of time, forcing lasers out of the build. But they said it could be something like a high energy plasma sword. Using a magnetic rod to pump plasma out of the sword, you can have a theoretical lightsaber that can cut through anything but a type of ceramic used in the rod.

As for the matter of power, it was said you could use carbon nanotubes, which are highly conductive and very small, to power the thing. You can fit miles worth of nanotubes into the holster of the sword, providing you enough power to.....power it.
You are my new friend.  

l-Kathulu-l

Versatile Man-Lover

Chief Chilly

4,500 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 pm
l-Kathulu-l
Chief Chilly

You are my new friend.

biggrin
Actually, it's a pretty good show, I recommend it for fans of sci fi. There was one where it showed how to destroy a planet, that was a great one. Nothing like dropping an anti-matter bomb the size of Mt Everest into the core of a planet and watching it shatter like a glass ball.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:22 pm
Super Cheesio
We'll have lightsabers until they're outlawed!

i.e. two seconds after the project is started.  

Kuzodav

Eloquent Conversationalist

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:25 pm
It wouldn't be very practical even with a working power source.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:33 pm
Nomega

Come to think about it, the way modern warfare works out, there probably wouldn't be very much calling for a sword type weapon. If technology advances at a reasonable enough rate, so that we have lightsabers within 20 years, short range weapons probably won't have that much of an advantage, if any, against the future's long range weaponry.  

Chief Chilly

4,500 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:28 pm
******** lightsabers. Somebody invent midochlorians or however they're spelled.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:31 pm
Chief Chilly
Nomega

Come to think about it, the way modern warfare works out, there probably wouldn't be very much calling for a sword type weapon. If technology advances at a reasonable enough rate, so that we have lightsabers within 20 years, short range weapons probably won't have that much of an advantage, if any, against the future's long range weaponry.
But long range weaponry is useless at close range anyway.  

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

Chief Chilly

4,500 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:50 pm
Trenn Flashkill
Chief Chilly
Nomega

But long range weaponry is useless at close range anyway.

As true as that may be, let's not forget how modern day urban warfare relies on guns (technically long range weapons) in close quarter combat.

If we take a scenario, in the period of time where lightsabers are available, as are all other weapon technologies, in which a group storms a building in hopes of clearing out the enemies stationed there. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer using a gun to keep the enemy a reasonable distance away than a sword that, although powerful, requires me to get close to the enemy. By then, I could've been easily picked off by someone shooting me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:41 am
You wouldn't compromise by slapping a lightsaber bayonet on your rifle?  

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

Chief Chilly

4,500 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:27 am
Ah yes, I guess I forgot about that aspect. That would seem like an effective compromise.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:08 am
That is why you don't use them in combat or warfare. That is an assassination weapon. Think about it. Make a door without explosives. Horrible morale destroying kill on one of their generals. Get outta there.  

Owwin

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:00 am
Besides the loud humming noise and bright laser blade, it would be pretty good for assassinations.  
The Gallery

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff