Reply Social Room
Why Stephen King's IT is not scary. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ecopper12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:40 pm
Let's make a list shall we? We'll see how many reasons we can come up with.

1. IT is a ******** mystery in itself. There is no explanation as to who or what it is. I WANT SOME GODDAMN EXPOSITION.

2. BALLOONS ARE NOT ******** SCARY. USING THEM IN ALMOST EVERY SCENE DOES NOT MAKE THEM ANY MORE FRIGHTENING. IT'S A ******** BALLOON.

3. Maybe the scene with the talking head in the refrigerator would have been scary, but once he started making jokes about the people there, the scene lost ALL of it's creep factor. I don't want my decapitated heads talking about my sex life kthx. That's just ******** weird.

4. o hai. I'm a minor character in a Stephan King book. You don't even know me, but I'm an a*****e. In fact, you'll find that every person other than the main characters are assholes. It's not just in this movie, but in everything Stephan King has written.

5. I'M IT. IMMA COME UP FROM THE FLOOR WHILE YOUR SHOWERING, TALK TO YOU, THEN THE SCENE WILL SWITCH WITHOUT A TRANSITION, LEAVING YOU TO BELIEVE I JUST STARED AWKWARDLY AT YOU FOR A WHILE. AM I SCARY YET?

6. I'll eat the children I don't know and that are only minor to the plot, and then I'll just ******** with the main characters until they kill me. I R SMRT.

7. I'm not really a killer clown. I'm just misunderstood A GIANT RADIOACTIVE MUTANT SPIDER THAT YOU WAITED THE WHOLE MOVIE TO SEE, AND WERE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED TO FIND OUT. BOO!

8. Just because one old man ignored a girl getting bullied and went inside (Probably to masturbate) without helping, IT DOES NOT MEAN THE WHOLE TOWN OF DAIRY IS EVIL. YOU ******** IDIOT GIRL.

9. I'm a flashback. I'll happen over 9000 times over the course of the movie, and won't offer any real information other than the kids saw IT, and were scared. Ooga Booga.

10. I'm pretty sure the scene with IT scaring the prison inmate by turning into a dog wearing a clown costume was supposed to be funny, not scary. I laughed my a** off.

Is ten good enough for you? I have more, but I'm sure you get the point. Why are so many people scared of that s**t?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:20 pm
I've never seen it as images of the clown alone scare the ******** out of me. I didn't even watch the Nostalgia Critic review, and I usually watch every NC.  

Super Cheesio

Tonberry Crunch

7,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:25 pm
Most likely because it came out in (some) of our childhoods/out when young, when we were so impressionable, and eternally terrifying us of clowns. Just the creepy appearance when younger. (Plus movie remake coming)

I can't bring myself to watch Chucky because of childhood reasons...  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:35 pm
I'm pretty sure the movie toned anything from the book down. Example would be in the movie Misery, Annie does this 'hobbling' to the writer guy- breaks his ankles- but in the book, she decapitated his foot and cauterized it with a blowtorch,.

:U That and it's Tim Curry, the guy from Scary Movie 2, Clue and The Rocky Horror Show.  

problematic briefcase

O.G. Sex Symbol

ecopper12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:48 pm
Shiny Gligar
I'm pretty sure the movie toned anything from the book down. Example would be in the movie Misery, Annie does this 'hobbling' to the writer guy- breaks his ankles- but in the book, she decapitated his foot and cauterized it with a blowtorch,.

:U That and it's Tim Curry, the guy from Scary Movie 2, Clue and The Rocky Horror Show.

OMG REALLY?

That's one of my favorite movies. I tried reading the book, but it was a little hard to follow, and that's saying A LOT for me.

I usually can read anything without trouble.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:26 pm
Shiny Gligar

You forgot to mention something...
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
ELIZA GET IN THE CONVY
A HAH HAH HAH  

l-Kriel-l

Owwin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:36 pm
You really need to read the book. Or anything in Stephen King about the outside darkness and the deadlights. That will make the spider part scarier.

Also the clown thing isn't really supposed to be scary, it is just a form he used that became scary because he was in it. The balloons and stuff were really to lure people, not scare them. Once those people found him out it was all that he had.

Oh and about the a*****e thing. Read The Stand. There are a lot of good smaller characters. Even on the bad "side" Oh and Salem's Lot too. Oh and the Dark Tower Series, and Dead Zone. Wait what stephen king books have you read?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:53 pm
I'm almost offended by your exorbiting arguments. Y u hatin on da King?  

Al Torrenz

ecopper12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:09 pm
Al Torrenz

Not hating on him specifically. Just the movie IT.

I love Misery. Both the movie AND the book.

y u poot me on da spot lyk dat?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:14 pm
ecopper12
Al Torrenz

Not hating on him specifically. Just the movie IT.

I love Misery. Both the movie AND the book.

y u poot me on da spot lyk dat?

You just seemed very passionate about talking King's work down over a single movie-adaptation. I can't help but think you watched the movie in a very bad mood, ready to find negatives in everything.

Then again, I haven't seen it yet nor read the book. HA HA  

Al Torrenz

Raptorphobia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:50 am
All Stephen king books reference or have a connection to IT in some forme or fashion  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:52 am
The movie was incredibly cheesy, the book, however, was terrifying.....

I find that to be the case with a lot of book to movies... although I prefer cheesy horror spooking to over-gore-fests.

I want to be scared, not sickened.  

PCB Alice Margatroid

problematic briefcase

O.G. Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:35 pm
ecopper12
Shiny Gligar

OMG REALLY?

That's one of my favorite movies. I tried reading the book, but it was a little hard to follow, and that's saying A LOT for me.

I usually can read anything without trouble.

Yeah. p: And in the book, Annie rode over some guy with a lawnmower, a sheriff I think, and Kathy Bates was really looking forward to it, but they wrote it out.

I didn't get very far into the book either, it was kind of hard to follow. Not as hard as The Tommyknockers though. That one took me a week or more. D:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:10 am
ecopper12

You're essentially saying it's not scary because you don't think it's scary.

Ok.
It's not scary to you.
That doesn't make it universally non-scary.  

Kuzodav

Eloquent Conversationalist

ecopper12

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:22 am
Kuzodav
ecopper12

You're essentially saying it's not scary because you don't think it's scary.

Ok.
It's not scary to you.
That doesn't make it universally non-scary.

It's an opinion, but I guess I delivered it the wrong way.

I just don't see how a lot of people are scared by it.  
Social Room

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff