Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ~*Proud Christians of Gaia*~
You can't chase the American Dream and God at the same time Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Svz6YFtkI

Which Jesus do you follow?
Which Jesus do you serve?
If Ephesians says to imitate Christ
Then why do you look so much like the world?

Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the arrogant
So which one do you want to be?

Blessed are the poor in spirit
Or do we pray to be blessed with the wealth of this land
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness
Or do we ache for another taste of this world of shifting sand

Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins
He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the rich

Who is this that you follow
This picture of the American dream
If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side or fall down and worship at His holy feet

Pretty blue eyes and curly brown hair and a clear complexion
Is how you see Him as He dies for Your sins
But the Word says He was battered and scarred
Or did you miss that part
Sometimes I doubt we'd recognize Him

Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and the least of these
He loved the poor and accosted the comfortable

Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
The blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet
But He reaches for the hurting and despises the proud
I think He'd prefer Beale St. to the stained glass crowd
And I know that He can hear me if I cry out loud

I want to be like my Jesus!

Not a posterchild for American prosperity, but like my Jesus
You see I'm tired of living for success and popularity
I want to be like my Jesus but I'm not sure what that means to be like You Jesus
Cause You said to live like You, love like You but then You died for me
Can I be like You Jesus?
I want to be like you Jesus!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:37 pm
Why even post this one the computer then? You should be proselyting constantly and be poor and living out of a box. Because all of your money should have been devoted to Christ and you should be proselyting every waking moment.

Personally, I don't think God cares if you have a nice house with all the modern conveinances or if you just have the basics. He looks at where your heart is not at what possession you have. Possessions and chasing the American Dream does not mean people fall away from God. I once read a quote that said something like Gold doesn't make a man selfish, it's his motives for attaining and having the gold that do. So therefore, God doesn't care if your rich or poor. Just serve Him. You can chase the American Dream to own a house and what not and still faithfully serve God and testify of Him.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:44 pm
Shadows-shine
Why even post this one the computer then? You should be proselyting constantly and be poor and living out of a box. Because all of your money should have been devoted to Christ and you should be proselyting every waking moment.

Personally, I don't think God cares if you have a nice house with all the modern conveinances or if you just have the basics. He looks at where your heart is not at what possession you have. Possessions and chasing the American Dream does not mean people fall away from God. I once read a quote that said something like Gold doesn't make a man selfish, it's his motives for attaining and having the gold that do. So therefore, God doesn't care if your rich or poor. Just serve Him. You can chase the American Dream to own a house and what not and still faithfully serve God and testify of Him.

The point is, what are we concentrating most in life? Are we concentrating too much on gaining wealth in this world? Do we fill our minds with things of this world or do we make it a life goal to do God's Will? What do you think about most? What do you set your eyes upon? Finishing school going to college getting an awesome job so you can get that car you've always wanted or to search and marry your prince charming? Or pursue preaching the gospel, helping out the poor, making most of your income as a form of charity?

Here's a video by Paul Washer that also talks about this:

We're Losing it - Paul Washer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlaCzmYBpUQ

"Materialism never leads to godliness.
Things are only obstacles that get in the way, of an eternal perspective."

"Let me ask you something, how much has Christianity cost you?
How much has it really cost you?
How much have you had to suffer for the sake of Christ?
How much have you lost, for Him?"

"I'll always ask young people... you know, what do you talk about most?
There is your god.
What do you think about most?
There is your god.
What do you have your eyes set upon?
There is your mission, and your god and your heart and you treasure."  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:02 pm
If you're Christian, most of us are already wanting to do God's will. Your post isn't all that substantial considering most Christians love God and want to do God's will, but we also understand that we must have a good job to support the family that GOD gave us. We love God, and we don't love money, because we know that we have to spend money, but money is just a necessary fact of life. We must have it to support a family and keep them happy. What's the number one reason why families fight? Because there isn't enough money to support every wish. So working towards having money is important. It helps make the family feel secure, which keeps the family closer to God. The more money you make, the more money that you can save up. The more money that is saved, the more stable the family is when someone loses their job, and they can continue knowing that it was God that gave them the finances to make it through the hard times. Fact is, you make it sound like we work towards money and college and intelligence, but the fact of the matter really is is that it's God who granted us that to begin with. Whether you thank God for it or not is your own problem and your own self conviction.  

Someoneiknow

Nyssa Traken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:03 pm
I see it this way... You can chase your American dreams.. Have God guide you to them, Just allow Him to be beside you through out the process of getting to your dreams.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:25 pm
Hmmnn Poor means poor in spirit, as in you care for all others. And truthfully, it depends on what your personal american dream is. "Mine is to have a family if i am still alive after four years of active duty. I want to be a marine... i will be a marine and i will fight to protect my Country and Christianity. THats my american dream  

Mr Baton

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:02 pm
Someoneiknow
If you're Christian, most of us are already wanting to do God's will. Your post isn't all that substantial considering most Christians love God and want to do God's will, but we also understand that we must have a good job to support the family that GOD gave us. We love God, and we don't love money, because we know that we have to spend money, but money is just a necessary fact of life. We must have it to support a family and keep them happy. What's the number one reason why families fight? Because there isn't enough money to support every wish. So working towards having money is important. It helps make the family feel secure, which keeps the family closer to God. The more money you make, the more money that you can save up. The more money that is saved, the more stable the family is when someone loses their job, and they can continue knowing that it was God that gave them the finances to make it through the hard times. Fact is, you make it sound like we work towards money and college and intelligence, but the fact of the matter really is is that it's God who granted us that to begin with. Whether you thank God for it or not is your own problem and your own self conviction.

I agree we should support our family and not be a sluggard, because it is a curse to have a lazy person. A man can support a family with just the bare minimum that is needed, and still be able to give at least half his income to the poor and needy. Saving a little bit of money isn't a bad thing, but when a man starts stacking up thousands in his bank, not only is he holding off on the poor, but he is also pushing his trust in God.

My mother tells me to grow up get a good job so I can have a lot of money and security. To be stable. But the truth is, everyone is one robbery, one house fire, one natural disaster away from instability and losing everything.

I don't see what is so bad with raising your own crops and animals to support oneself, and to even live in a place that is not so expensive. Granted if you prefer to live in America, you have to save up some amount of money to buy off a piece of land, but after that, one doesn't really need that much (Personally, I'm working on this. I'm young in the faith and I'm trying to reverse everything in my life. It's tough, but it's not impossible.)

A family of followers of Christ shouldn't be fighting over money, because that shows that you're becoming more dependent on money than on God.

It is good to thank God for helping us have a shelter over our head, food to eat, and clothes to wear. But remember that even the most wicked people are rich. Think about rich people that don't even think about God. Think about the greedy and gluttonous. The love from God should never be sized up based on how much money you have. We should remember that Christ dwelled amongst the poor when He walked the earth. Thank God for what is enough.

God also gives money to a person to see what they will do. Will they store it up and bare no profit? Will they use just enough to buy food for him (and his family) and give the rest to the poor? To support preaching the gospel? Remember the Parable of the Talents:

14 “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them.

15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey.

16 The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more.

17 So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more.

18 But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

19 “After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them.

20 The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’

21 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

22 “The man with two bags of gold also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.’

23 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

24 “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed.

25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’

26 “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?

27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

28 “‘So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags.

29 For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.

30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Matthew 25:14-28

Don't think that this parable is talking about a form of investment in personal gain. This is an investment for the glory of God - to glorify His name throughout the world, to make disciples and more disciples, to preach the Gospel and spread the good news.

Sorry for the long response...  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:35 pm
“And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple... So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple. -Luke 14:27,33  

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:57 pm
No one is saying that it's a bad thing to live off the land and plant your own crops or have your own animals to get food from, but for a lot of people, that's unrealistic in every sense of the word.

The Lord wants us to be self sustaining people, not people who live off of hand outs from people. Not all rich people are evil or selfish. I've seen a lot of "poor" people who are worse than the "rich".

No one should fight about money, but it happens. It's one of the most common fights that married couples have. It's not that they worship money, but money is a necessity to survive in this mortal life. Plain and simple.

Not all "American Dreams" involve being filthy rich, having a big house, etc. It's what you make of it. An American Dream could be devoting your life to God, starting a family, getting married, etc.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:14 pm
Shadows-shine
No one is saying that it's a bad thing to live off the land and plant your own crops or have your own animals to get food from, but for a lot of people, that's unrealistic in every sense of the word.

The Lord wants us to be self sustaining people, not people who live off of hand outs from people. Not all rich people are evil or selfish. I've seen a lot of "poor" people who are worse than the "rich".

No one should fight about money, but it happens. It's one of the most common fights that married couples have. It's not that they worship money, but money is a necessity to survive in this mortal life. Plain and simple.

Not all "American Dreams" involve being filthy rich, having a big house, etc. It's what you make of it. An American Dream could be devoting your life to God, starting a family, getting married, potentially putting your own life on the line for your religion and countless others etc.

Mr Baton

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:18 pm
Shadows-shine

Not all "American Dreams" involve being filthy rich, having a big house, etc. It's what you make of it. An American Dream could be devoting your life to God, starting a family, getting married, etc.

I see what you're saying, but the term American Dream has become so concentrated on one person's pursuit to happiness and prosperity here on earth, that it's more like what that person want's to do to be comfortable in this life, rather than what God wants them to do, so that your rest will not be here on earth, but in heaven. It would be odd to say you are living for God as a form of an American Dream since American Christianity today has become so watered down.

Live a life for God. Don't get too comfortable in this world. Make sure you are preaching His Word to everyone, to your friends, families, and even strangers in public. Talk about Him to your coworkers and your classmates, your teachers and the cashier people in the grocery store. Go out to other countries and preach to other nations that don't know Him yet, or you can stay in the states and help and teach those who will.

The kingdom of Heaven is near. And you, your friends and family and everyone around you, can die any moment from now.

Stop chasing the American Dream, or calling it the American Dream. Because it makes one seem more like the world. Tell them, you're chasing God.

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?
26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.
29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.
30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?
31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’
32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:25-34

For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. James 3:16-17

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.Romans 12:2

19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-20

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct[a] your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. Matthew 6:24

My point is this: The person who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and the person who sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each one of you should give just as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, because God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace overflow to you so that because you have enough of everything in every way at all times, you will overflow in every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:6-8

14 “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them.
15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag,[a] each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey.
16 The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more.
18 But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.
19 “After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them.
20 The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’
21 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’
22 “The man with two bags of gold also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.’
23 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’
24 “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed.
25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’
26 “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?
27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.
29 For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.
30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
Matthew 25:14-30  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:47 am
Grace from God
Shadows-shine

I see what you're saying, but the term American Dream has become so concentrated on one person's pursuit to happiness and prosperity here on earth, that it's more like what that person want's to do to be comfortable in this life, rather than what God wants them to do, so that your rest will not be here on earth, but in heaven. It would be odd to say you are living for God as a form of an American Dream since American Christianity today has become so watered down.

Live a life for God. Don't get too comfortable in this world. Make sure you are preaching His Word to everyone, to your friends, families, and even strangers in public. Talk about Him to your coworkers and your classmates, your teachers and the cashier people in the grocery store. Go out to other countries and preach to other nations that don't know Him yet, or you can stay in the states and help and teach those who will.

The kingdom of Heaven is near. And you, your friends and family and everyone around you, can die any moment from now.

Stop chasing the American Dream, or calling it the American Dream. Because it makes one seem more like the world. Tell them, you're chasing God.

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?
26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.
29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.
30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?
31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’
32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:25-34

For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. James 3:16-17

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.Romans 12:2

19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-20

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct[a] your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. Matthew 6:24

My point is this: The person who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and the person who sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each one of you should give just as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, because God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace overflow to you so that because you have enough of everything in every way at all times, you will overflow in every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:6-8

15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag,[a] each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey.
Matthew 25:14-30

Like I said before, the American Dream is what you make of it.

I don't see how "American Christianity" as you call it, is so different what the rest of the Christianity is in the world. What do you mean by it being "watered down"?  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:10 am
Shadows-shine

Like I said before, the American Dream is what you make of it.

I don't see how "American Christianity" as you call it, is so different what the rest of the Christianity is in the world. What do you mean by it being "watered down"?

I know not all American Christians are not following God the way He wants us to, but there is a big population of people that are losing sight of God because of all the things that glimmer and shines in this world, and I'm not only talking about materialistic things.

First are the people that say they are Christian, but they only attend church because their parents want them to or if it's a holiday and it's considered a "tradition." I grew up in a Roman Catholic family. My mother forced us to go to Tuesday church school, and only went to church when it was either Christmas, Easter or if it was an assignment in class. Other than that, the only time Jesus Christ is mentioned in our household is when someone uses His name in vain. There are people here that have just enough Christianity in their life to be considered moral or good.

There are Christians out there that actually do get more involved, such as youth groups. They join a youth group and surround themselves with people who are of their age, and they spend time going to retreats, doing activities or camping to have fun. I've talked to a lot of young people that participate in these youth groups, but rather than reading the Bible on their own and being with God most of the time, they are listening to their pastor and learning directly from them while having fun with their friends. True, it is good to have fellowship with one another, but not in excess to the point where God is not even in your mind anymore throughout the entire day. The pitfall of this is that if a child sees other children who say they are Christian act a certain way, then they will start comparing themselves to these Christians who compare themselves with other Christians. But we should compare ourselves to Scripture. Compare ourselves to what God wants us to do. Not what our friends in our youth group are doing.

I've read some things in the Christian Post website, and although that site has some very odd things in it, it is still a good site to at least know what is happening in the rest of the world. I saw an article once about how a church must welcome homosexuality just so they can get more members in their church since attendance has gotten down. I was really disheartened when I heard this news, and it reminds me of Joel Osteen and his mega ministry. There are people out there that are more concerned in getting more people to attend their church, than to study Scripture and go out there and preach the Word.

I know I can't put everyone in some category, and I'm sure some overlap others and many people change. These are just the few things I've heard and seen repetitively when talking to other Christians, both in person and online.

One video, and I know it's long but it's worth listening to, is this message from a preacher named Paul Washer directed to the youth. At first I didn't want to hear it because it was long and I was a young Christian, but after hearing everything he had to say, I knew I had to change. I hope everyone listens to it completely if they haven't already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cncEhCvrVgQ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:48 am
I haven't watched the video yet, but I will when I get a bit more time to do so.

I see where you are coming from but also see where there would be controversy.

We can chase our dreams...but we should be careful not to let our dreams interfere with our walk with the Lord.  

squeakygirl
Captain

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:06 pm
squeakygirl
I haven't watched the video yet, but I will when I get a bit more time to do so.

I see where you are coming from but also see where there would be controversy.

We can chase our dreams...but we should be careful not to let our dreams interfere with our walk with the Lord.

Yeah. Even Solomon, who had everything, still thought that everything was vanity... everything under the sun is meaningless... we would just be chasing the wind. We can chase dreams outside of God... but know that it is vain. It will profit us nothing... only distraction from God... or even worse.. to stumble, backslide or even make others stumble...  
~*Proud Christians of Gaia*~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff