A Christmas Carol Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ricwulf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:54 am
Just watched it.
It was alright. Probably least favourite Christmas Specials. Favourite would have to be The Next Doctor, haha.

Umm, so, discuss?

Did anyone else go "No! You cannot pass your own timeline!" When the oldie grabbed his young selfs shoulder? I mean really! In the The Big Bang it was alright, time was ending anyway, so no rules, but now! There are rules! You obey them! Don't you think that you can remake them because you are lead writer Mr Mofatt!

Sorry, my rant is over. Hahaha sweatdrop
Over all decent episode, if not a little cliche in the love department.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:57 am
Oh, and sorry if this is in the wrong area. Now, I'll just leave for the night!  

Ricwulf

Doctor Manny

8,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:46 pm
I haven't seen it yet but I'm just about to watch.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:27 pm
Ricwulf
Just watched it.
It was alright. Probably least favourite Christmas Specials. Favourite would have to be The Next Doctor, haha.

Umm, so, discuss?

Did anyone else go "No! You cannot pass your own timeline!" When the oldie grabbed his young selfs shoulder? I mean really! In the The Big Bang it was alright, time was ending anyway, so no rules, but now! There are rules! You obey them! Don't you think that you can remake them because you are lead writer Mr Mofatt!

Really? The Next Doctor was my least favorite. I guess I'll file that under "everyone has their own opinion."

And as for passing his own timeline, the laws of time don't seem to believe in continuity. when you think about it, if the doctor went back in time to make him nicer, then when he met him, he would've been nice and the Doctor wouldn't have had to go back in time and that'a a fun little paradox you've gotten yourself into Doctor. Anyway, I try to disregard the laws of time unless they're important in that episode. The continuity in this show has sucked from the beginning and i don't expect it to change anytime soon.

But I thought it was a fun episode. The flying shark sled was a bit to off-the-wall for my tastes but oh well. I loved when Abigail was singing In the Bleak Midwinter. We sang that at my church for nine lessons and carols.  

SaphiraStar

Kachi Ace

Astounding Enchantress

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:29 pm
I think there tends to be problems in general with the Christmas specials in this show. This one was probably my second favorite after The Christmas Invasion, and before Voyage of the Damned but still not really that good. The whole thing about meeting his future/past self bugged me not because I thought it was breaking some law of time (ok, that could be it also... it seems they've gone out the window recently) but because it seems like, after seeing that, the younger self wouldn't have gone though with all of the Christmas Eves visiting Abagail afterward. Unless the Doctor didn't explain about her dying and he didn't figure it out... But yeah, it didn't make much sense. The concept of the Doctor playing the ghosts in A Christmas Carol was pretty interesting but I think they could have done better with it.

Fish were weird and not very realistic since they looked exactly like fish from Earth floating in the sky. -_-  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:38 pm
I loved the thought put into this Christmas Special, but I think with some changes it could have been better. For example the flying fish. I would hope they would try to make an actual alien life form instead of depending on fish. Overall I would give it 3 and 1/2 stars.  

geekwho

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Maeko-Hana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:05 pm
I really enjoyed it. Had a mix of happiness and sadness, fun and seriousness. I LOVED when Abigail sang In The Bleak Midwinter [like SaphiraStar, I too sang it at church, and we also played an instrumental arrangement of it in high school band.] I didn't find anything wrong with it...I mean, Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey...Doctor Who hardly ever makes sense, never has and probably never will...I think some people over-analyze and nit-pick, but that takes all the fun out of it. Probably my favorite Christmas episode [tied with Voyage of the Damned] The Next Doctor and The Runaway Bride tie for worst, with Christmas Invasion floating somewhere in the middle.

Also, "Middle" Kazran was HOT! I Laughed so hard when The Doctor married Marilyn Monroe [I'm a huge fan of her]...Surprised The Doctor didn't figure out Abigail sooner, I was immediately suspicious when, after he said "i'm The Doctor" she said "One of Mine?"  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:44 pm
geekwho
I loved the thought put into this Christmas Special, but I think with some changes it could have been better. For example the flying fish. I would hope they would try to make an actual alien life form instead of depending on fish. Overall I would give it 3 and 1/2 stars.

Out of how many stars?

SaphiraStar
Ricwulf
Just watched it.

Umm, so, discuss?

Really? The Next Doctor was my least favorite. I guess I'll file that under "everyone has their own opinion."

And as for passing his own timeline, the laws of time don't seem to believe in continuity. when you think about it, if the doctor went back in time to make him nicer, then when he met him, he would've been nice and the Doctor wouldn't have had to go back in time and that'a a fun little paradox you've gotten yourself into Doctor. Anyway, I try to disregard the laws of time unless they're important in that episode. The continuity in this show has sucked from the beginning and i don't expect it to change anytime soon.

But I thought it was a fun episode. The flying shark sled was a bit to off-the-wall for my tastes but oh well. I loved when Abigail was singing In the Bleak Midwinter. We sang that at my church for nine lessons and carols.

I just made a point out of this one because it is probably the biggest of them all. I mean, re-writing history is one thing, but the whole thing was a bit too flexible on the rules. See, Mofatt has in my opinion gone "Hey, I'm in charge, I do what I want, screw what is here, I'm making it how *I* want it, got it!" Which is alright to a point, but when he discards vital points, I just, I dunno, get annoyed.

Wow, I sound so stubborn and blindly following anything that isn't Mofatt. I guess it happens. Ahahaha!

But I just like it when it had some sort of structure, I mean, he want to re-invent it.
Sorry, gonna stop that there, otherwise I'll be typing for ages.

Bye then for now.  

Ricwulf

Pentigan

Proxy Shapeshifter

10,740 Points
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:53 pm
I believe that time in the whoniverse does not always follow the same rules as it did in the last episode, any further explaination would go along the lines of "Timey Wimey Ball".

Remember that Moffat wrote this episode, the same guy who brought us the time twisting episode Blink.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:08 am
Maeko-Hana

Also, "Middle" Kazran was HOT! I Laughed so hard when The Doctor married Marilyn Monroe [I'm a huge fan of her]...Surprised The Doctor didn't figure out Abigail sooner, I was immediately suspicious when, after he said "i'm The Doctor" she said "One of Mine?"

I agree! And the thought of the Doctor singing a duet with Frank Sinatra is hilarious. Though I do also agree with your initial suspicion about Abigail.
Personally, my favourite Xmas episode is The Next Doctor. Though I do like them all though Kylie Minogue annoyed the hell out of me in Voyage of the Dammned.  

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100

The Doctor_11

5,250 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:29 pm
Personally it was like Traveling with Amy and Rory all over again so much kissing how do you humans manage it...breathing through your ears isn't it.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:45 pm
I didn't think it was that bad. Although I agree with the thread starter, "The Next Doctor" was my favorite.  

Recca Hino

Eternal Curse

43,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gaian 50

ezactron14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:45 am
I agree The Next Doctor was my favorite, until the cyber factor rose, I didn't like that part.

In this story it didn't feel like the doctor was crossing his own timeline to me because it was through a movie  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:57 pm
My favorite Christmas episode was Christmas episode. It was the first time we got to see David Tennant and he grew his "FIGHTING HAND!!!".  

geekwho

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Twice II

Distinct Hunter

9,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:55 pm

The time paradoxes I can tolerate, but the touching! The touching angers and displeases me!
Where are my reapers? If there is to be touching I demand there also be reapers, come to correct the wrongs of temporal continuity and possibly eat a companion.

The time paradoxes could have been given some paltry post-hoc explanation about how the Master's cannibalizing of the Tardis was still somehow affective, but the touching is just wrong.

It's just wrong, and no amount of air sharks can make up for it!

Other than that, I liked it. I kinda got my hopes up at the beginning because it seemed like for a moment Smith had somehow managed to take on a bit of Tennant's Doctor's personality and maybe smashed it up a bit with Moffat's new Sherlock, but then he went back to be the very disappointing Eleventh Doctor I've come to dislike and feel consistently let down by.

The Christmas Invasion continues to be my favourite, but this was still good despite its egregious continuity errors.

The Doctor Who Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff