Xilo's map project Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:43 pm
i'm gonna start a map project. for TF2.

the map type will be a payload map, it will be styled after the sonic level chemical plant zone from sonic 2. (i believe thats the one its from.) anyone intrested in helping i'd be willing to let you on, jsut list what you know how to do in source SDK, if you don't have any experience, post some suggestions based on our posted progress.

there should be a site that i can post a downloadbale map that will keep others from being able to copy us, once i find it i'll link it so all those wanting to help will know where to get the latest upload.

Xilo Skills: fine tuning map shape, basic map construction, some scripting skill (not much but I learn quickly through doing than reading.), and I can generally find small tweeks in the map that need fixin.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:44 pm
Official list of those working on the map: (list of jobs soon to come, once we have the list all built up.)

Xilo

Turtle  

Xilo The Odd

ecopper12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:45 pm
I GAVE HIM THE IDEA.

I'M PARTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE AWESOMENESS.

Bitches don't know 'bout my creativity. talk2hand  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:48 pm
ecopper, whats your steam ID? mines just Xilo if you want to add me.  

Xilo The Odd

The Awkwardest Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:49 pm
Turtle Skills: breaking things, suggesting things, testing things, and I could probably figure out anything else you need me to do pretty quickly.

And you could upload the map to mediafire or something and only give the link to people you want to have it?

edit: and I think you're already my friend on steam but I haven't been on in forever so I don't actually know  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:51 pm
nah theres this site that people in the steam community use, facepunch is popular, but only for nearly finished mods and maps. thres gotta be another place where tf2 map makers post their stuff.  

Xilo The Odd

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:03 pm
If you want to make your life easier, I suggest you learn to use the hammertime plugin on google Sketchup.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:04 pm
don't think i can place my sense of feel on that.

but in seriousness, whats it all about?  

Xilo The Odd

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:14 pm
It gives you the ability to use Google sketchup's geometry tools to create your brushes. The catch is that you have to group every single brush you make, but that's easy if you make a square double click it right click and make it a group. Then you can give it depth.

It's initially harder to do than making brushes in hammer, but it gives you a great level of finer control, and makes it easier to make something other than squares.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:16 pm
[Kegan]
It gives you the ability to use Google sketchup's geometry tools to create your brushes. The catch is that you have to group every single brush you make, but that's easy if you make a square double click it right click and make it a group. Then you can give it depth.

It's initially harder to do than making brushes in hammer, but it gives you a great level of finer control, and makes it easier to make something other than squares.
and the hammer tool map editor is compatible with these tools?  

Xilo The Odd

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:21 pm
If you export a compatible file using the plugin, yes.

You just have to make sure that everything you want to be a brush is grouped, and follow all the normal hammer editor rules, like "no concave surfaces."  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:23 pm
ah, i might look into that. it sound like it might help with finer detail than i can get in hammer.

is it possible to import a hammer file into the plugin?  

Xilo The Odd

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:24 pm
I don't believe so, no.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SketchUp_Source_Tools  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:30 pm
ah i see how it works, yeah this could help a bit for some things, got sketchup downloaded, i'll prolly dink with hammer and sketchup tomorrow.  

Xilo The Odd

ecopper12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:53 am
OHH. OOOOOOOH.

I HAVE AN IDEA.

If it's even possible, try to emulate the 16-Bit texture but in a 3D area.

For example.

Make it look as realistic as possible, with the sloped and everything all looking straight from the game.  
Social Room

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff