Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Funny thing my classmate said to me... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

killedvictim10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:28 pm
There's a Samalian(can't spell sweatdrop ) girl in my French class who said, "Hey,I heard chinese people are the smartest if they tried."

What do you think about all this? I want your opinion!
I took it as a complement whee  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:33 pm
wow... ican't tell. it's like a compliment and insult rolled into one.  

yalie5

Nyanfood

Sparkly Lunatic

7,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:36 pm
^ ditto.

Smart if you try:good
Do you try?: bad

As for me, I try, but I'm still not smart. My math grade is horrible and ... s**t. ^^;  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:37 pm
I know! Maybe they're being stereotypical 4laugh
To think Chinese people are very clever!
It would explain why there's so many chinese gifted students confused  

killedvictim10

killedvictim10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:39 pm
My math marks are like way up there! Math is almost like my best subject!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:44 pm
Riyoku Sakimori
^ ditto.

As for me, I try, but I'm still not smart. My math grade is horrible and ... s**t. ^^;
same here, my mathematical skills are terrible.. sweatdrop lets just hope i can squeeze at least a B grade for my exams... gonk

Syeori

Nyanfood

Sparkly Lunatic

7,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:54 pm
I have a B, I need an A... >.>
My science is pretty good though, and of course my art is good, that's a given ^^;;;

For some odd reason, French is my best subject... I'm Chinese, there's only two chinese people who take French in the entire grade sweatdrop it's just wierd that I'm good at it...

and I am not smart at all, I'm completely and totally idiotic.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:05 pm
I play video games, watch t.v., go outside, and much more like anybody.
The only difference is that others don't put enough effort into their work! cool  

killedvictim10

Minielf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:10 pm
I've heard that statement a lot of times before, and it is sort of true. Maybe it's because Chinese parents make their children work and study far harder than any other sort of parent and so all Chinese kids get better results than anyone. I'm a really average Chinese, since I only got an ENTER score of 95.55 for University entrance, whereas the smartest of the Chinese students get 98,99, or even 99.95 or so.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:20 pm
^ Yep. I tend to find that Chinese parents push their kids harder, especially at school.

95.55 is bloody good...you must have worked really hard for that.

Like, I was thinking of doing veterinary science, but you need 99.75 and I will not get that.

My maths is...s**t. We were enrolling at a maths tutor thing, and you have to sit a test before they let you in. Pass mark= 50%, I got 30%, so...yeah. sweatdrop

K i m m e h

Nyanfood

Sparkly Lunatic

7,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:16 pm
My math is crap. I used to be in the 99th percentile in elementary school.. and I've dropped to the 85th percentile now >.> baaaad... my french is actually in the tops for some reason confused  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:45 pm
K i m m e h
^ Yep. I tend to find that Chinese parents push their kids harder, especially at school.

95.55 is bloody good...you must have worked really hard for that.

Like, I was thinking of doing veterinary science, but you need 99.75 and I will not get that.

My maths is...s**t. We were enrolling at a maths tutor thing, and you have to sit a test before they let you in. Pass mark= 50%, I got 30%, so...yeah. sweatdrop

95.55 in my personal view isn't that good. It's only average. I was more than capable of getting a 97 at least, as my standard over the previous year was around that level. I just didn't try hard enough and relied more on my natural ability. Compared to my other schoolmates, it is quire low. Every other Chinese is getting 98s, 99s and near 100s.  

Minielf

Niphredil Ithilmir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:14 am
It's true, to some extent, although blatantly generalised.. but it has a lot to do with upbringing, not just race; if western children were brought up in the Chinese way, I'd expect the same for them. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:24 am
Kaguro
There's a Samalian(can't spell sweatdrop ) girl in my French class who said, "Hey,I heard chinese people are the smartest if they tried."

What do you think about all this? I want your opinion!
I took it as a complement whee

This has to do with a stereotype, (which is true for most traditional chinese people) that you spend hours on studying.

Chinese parents ''force'' their children to learn especially hard to become best.

This has to do with the fact that there are over 1.3 billion Chinese in China and it was necesary to study even 10 hours a day to get to college.

Even if you don't live in China, your parents (Chinese) are likely to make you study hard and so you will be better at most subjects compared to average European students. (Russians are know to be great at math, but it is also a stereotype, since there are some, who really suck at math.)  

Raioga

kyoslove74

Romantic Prophet

8,500 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:29 am
Vanilla_Soda
Riyoku Sakimori
^ ditto.

same here, my mathematical skills are terrible.. sweatdrop lets just hope i can squeeze at least a B grade for my exams... gonk

my grades really suck right now for math I have a c- I haven't token the exam yet but ugh I am not ready for the exam I am pretty good in history though  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff