Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
What I wish DIC would've done with Sailor Moon. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Quirky Kawaii Skye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:25 pm
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the English Dub, I've watched it since before I can even remember.

1. Made it for the ORIGINAL age group Sailor moon was MADE for.
I mean I understand, older people watch cartoons [ anime ] in Japan. But, they could have made it for people older then 8.

2. Didn't cut out intense action scenes. Like when Sailor Moon dies after fighting Beryl, in the English adaption they don't explain how she lost her wand. They just show a clip of her losing it, and then that's over with..

3. Made Amara and Michelle lesbians!!!!! Probably the biggest one, Haruka and Michiru are my absolute favorite couple in Sailor Moon. [ Also one of the only couples. ] It's just creepy, they are COUSINS in the English version. They look at each other all googly eyed, its weird.
And what homosexual is offensive? I think not.

4. Finished the series. Not end it so soon, season five is my favorite season, so much happens and it shows how some people actually go through how Usagi feels like, she wants Mamoru and Seiya.
How she cant choose. That gives people another way to relate and learn from Sailor Moon.

5. The original Japanese version was able to keep the SAME actress for Usagi. [ As far as I know. ] There were circumstances, but I feel like they could have kept the same actress somehow. Even though she quit. Or at least edited her voice to sound almost the same, not so manly. [ No offense. ]
They could have also kept the same Ami, the newer Ami's voice is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY to high pitched.. Its kinda annoying.. Instead of just 'shine aqua illusion' fast and simple like how the original Ami did, she says 'Shine aqua ILLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSION' How would they explain that??

All in all, I would not EVER want the English adaption redone.

What do you think? What do you wish they would've done different?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:01 pm
I would love for the dub to be redone by Funimation they do some of the best dubs with no cuts at all. I respect the DIC dub for it getting many kids into anime but I cannot stand the DIC dub at all there were to many changes and cuts also whole episodes were missing especially from season 1. I saw the original Japanese version of Sailor Moon before I saw the DIC version so I knew what was missing in the english version.  

l Sailor Cancer l

Quirky Kawaii Skye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:01 pm
l Sailor Cancer l
I would love for the dub to be redone by Funimation they do some of the best dubs with no cuts at all. I respect the DIC dub for it getting many kids into anime but I cannot stand the DIC dub at all there were to many changes and cuts also whole episodes were missing especially from season 1. I saw the original Japanese version of Sailor Moon before I saw the DIC version so I knew what was missing in the english version.

Well, it would be cool to see it in English by Funimation.
But, I hear so many people say they hate what DIC did to it, and as much as I love the Japanese I think I will always prefer the English..
I mean I love all the action scenes in Japanese, I love violence.. though I don't like when it happens in real life.

Maybe its cause I've watched the English dub so much, I'm planning on watching the ENTIRE series again. English dub, and Japanese.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:21 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

============
A loving heart

heart The thing that never made sense to me (when I got older) was that no episode was cut after the Heart Snatcher season started (Stars season does not count). So we got 4 seasons, 2 very cut, 2 just somewhat censored.

I think one thing that would've been neat to see was the 2nd episode that was cut from the dub; in the Japanese dub, the 2nd episode was all about how Serena could keep Luna, but Sammy was afraid of cats (apparently) heart

is the beginning of all knowledge
============

Venombabe

Timely Muse

14,125 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Quirky Kawaii Skye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:48 pm
Venombabe

============
A loving heart

heart The thing that never made sense to me (when I got older) was that no episode was cut after the Heart Snatcher season started (Stars season does not count). So we got 4 seasons, 2 very cut, 2 just somewhat censored.

I think one thing that would've been neat to see was the 2nd episode that was cut from the dub; in the Japanese dub, the 2nd episode was all about how Serena could keep Luna, but Sammy was afraid of cats (apparently) heart

============

I LOVED the second episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Especially with Sammy's little freak outs > biggrin
But then he kicked Luna and I was like 'no he di'nt' xD  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:30 am
You do realize that cousins CAN get married can't you? So yes, whilst it may seem 'strange' and 'weird' there is NOTHING wrong with it, MANY countries allow cousins to get married, so in a way Dic just shot themselves in the foot with that one.

Either it was a lesbian relationship or an incest one (yes, it is legal BUT it is still incest) and I think, in Dic's case, a lesbian one looks a bit better then an incestious one...or so one would think.

And the reason for the voice actresses recast was because they were both sick, or at least the Usagi one was, so that was why they picked another Usagi for the dub, you can't force a sick person to go on when they are not feeling well.

Yes, a better choice would of been good but they were probably stretched for time so they went with who was decent enough and could get on a short notice, when you have a seanson to to do you don't want to piss around wasting time on choosing a voice actress, a decent one that will do for however many episodes it is is better then nothing.  

Cassandra Kindred

6,500 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Popular Thread 100

Quirky Kawaii Skye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:23 pm
Lenore Rose
You do realize that cousins CAN get married can't you? So yes, whilst it may seem 'strange' and 'weird' there is NOTHING wrong with it, MANY countries allow cousins to get married, so in a way Dic just shot themselves in the foot with that one.

Either it was a lesbian relationship or an incest one (yes, it is legal BUT it is still incest) and I think, in Dic's case, a lesbian one looks a bit better then an incestious one...or so one would think.

And the reason for the voice actresses recast was because they were both sick, or at least the Usagi one was, so that was why they picked another Usagi for the dub, you can't force a sick person to go on when they are not feeling well.

Yes, a better choice would of been good but they were probably stretched for time so they went with who was decent enough and could get on a short notice, when you have a seanson to to do you don't want to piss around wasting time on choosing a voice actress, a decent one that will do for however many episodes it is is better then nothing.

I do get that cousins get married. I said that because, you would think they would rather people be gay then incestuous.
Actually, according to IMDB the original dubbed actress of Serena was pregnant, so she quit. I've never read about Ami. But, in fact Serena was pregnant. Not sick. Just sayingg.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:56 pm
The dub makes me sentimental, because I watched it when I was much younger and it brings back memories. But, I would much prefer a version that did not edit. That is one of my biggest gripes about a lot of dubs. I agree with Funimation being one of the better dub companies. It would be nice if someone would at least do the rest of the series.  

ladycobalt

Perfect Stranger 3-0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:08 am
Well, I used to watch Sailor Moon in English and Latin American Spanish. The latter version, the only thing they did was keeping the names from the English version (e.g. Serena Tsukino, Darien Chiba, Molly Osaka, Melvin Umino, Mina Aino, etc), but with the Japanese last names. However, that version wasn't censored.

I had the DVDs in Spanish, so I'm ok. Plus, they also release Sailor Stars in Latin America, but only in DVD.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 pm
always its better the original but i think is a big effor to dub so i respect all their work cool  

Tsukiusada

SailorX2

4,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:19 pm
Although there are many things about the DiC version, they were downright faithful compared to what Toon Makers wanted to do to the series. Instead of a dub, they planned to turn it into something almost entirely different and just keep the name. It was going to be a mix of live-action, and traditional animation with CGI transformations. And Jupiter (or it was Venus) was in a wheelchair -while fighting giant red aliens-. (I have nothing against the handicapped but was this necessary?) Sailor Moon wears her apparently wavy hair down too! No odango hair! scream Thank you, DiC. (I'm still do think a re-dubbed version would be interesting though.)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:01 pm
SailorX2
Although there are many things about the DiC version, they were downright faithful compared to what Toon Makers wanted to do to the series. Instead of a dub, they planned to turn it into something almost entirely different and just keep the name. It was going to be a mix of live-action, and traditional animation with CGI transformations. And Jupiter (or it was Venus) was in a wheelchair -while fighting giant red aliens-. (I have nothing against the handicapped but was this necessary?) Sailor Moon wears her apparently wavy hair down too! No odango hair! scream Thank you, DiC. (I'm still do think a re-dubbed version would be interesting though.)

...Really? I never read what Toon Makers was gonna do with it.. That's really stupid. I mean I like the Live Action Sailor Moon, and even though Venus in it has the brain tumor, its still good..

But ... a senshi in a wheelchair? I have nothing against handicapped people either... but seriously.

I suddenly like the DiC version a bit better, though I always loved it, cause well I grew up with it..
Ahah.

I mean I guess I would like Sailor Moon to be aired again, but look how they are re-doing other shows.. Ruining them.
I don't want them to do that to Sailor Moon.
For example, Winx Club, they have completely ruined it. The voices, the animation, they completely re did episodes.

I don't want to see kids now to have a Sailor Moon where they did that.

Y'know?  

Quirky Kawaii Skye

cat0120

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:01 am
I wish they would have continued the rest of the Sailor Moon episodes in english because it would have been interesting to hear the theme song to the Sailor Stars episodes in english dub, as well as what the starlights would have sounded like in English biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:01 pm
Quirky Kawaii Skye
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the English Dub, I've watched it since before I can even remember.

1. Made it for the ORIGINAL age group Sailor moon was MADE for.
I mean I understand, older people watch cartoons [ anime ] in Japan. But, they could have made it for people older then 8.

2. Didn't cut out intense action scenes. Like when Sailor Moon dies after fighting Beryl, in the English adaption they don't explain how she lost her wand. They just show a clip of her losing it, and then that's over with..

3. Made Amara and Michelle lesbians!!!!! Probably the biggest one, Haruka and Michiru are my absolute favorite couple in Sailor Moon. [ Also one of the only couples. ] It's just creepy, they are COUSINS in the English version. They look at each other all googly eyed, its weird.
And what homosexual is offensive? I think not.

4. Finished the series. Not end it so soon, season five is my favorite season, so much happens and it shows how some people actually go through how Usagi feels like, she wants Mamoru and Seiya.
How she cant choose. That gives people another way to relate and learn from Sailor Moon.

5. The original Japanese version was able to keep the SAME actress for Usagi. [ As far as I know. ] There were circumstances, but I feel like they could have kept the same actress somehow. Even though she quit. Or at least edited her voice to sound almost the same, not so manly. [ No offense. ]
They could have also kept the same Ami, the newer Ami's voice is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY to high pitched.. Its kinda annoying.. Instead of just 'shine aqua illusion' fast and simple like how the original Ami did, she says 'Shine aqua ILLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSION' How would they explain that??

All in all, I would not EVER want the English adaption redone.

What do you think? What do you wish they would've done different?

The Dub should have been closer to the actual Japanese translation... and should have remained for mature viewers rather than turning it into a little girl's show. Sailor Moon was never meant to be a children's show... it was originally geared toward teenagers and young adults.

Well, because DiC wanted a kids show just for girls, they figured Sailor moon was the best option... however, the content of the show was a bit racy at times and also a little on the violent/graphic side. As a result, the cut a few whole episodes and edited out some bits and pieces. furthermore, they dubbed over the original voices with a COMPLETELY different script telling almost a completely different story.

Michiru and Haruka, obviously, were a lesbian couple... however, back int he 90's it still wasn't quite acceptable for people in real life to be openly gay... furthermore, DiC was scared shitless of having conservative parents going postal on them for featuring homosexuality in what they intended to be a kid's show.... as if having lovable characters whoa re gay will 'turn" kids gay... well, fortunately we know it doesn't work that way now. No one just turns Gay. either you were born with the disposition or you aren't. The same thing is seen with Ziosite and Kunzite. Originally they were a gay couple, but DiC turned the Effeminate Ziosite into a woman to dispel the LGBT references.

I can agree with what you say here and yeah, the dub was the first Sailor Moon incarnation I saw. However, I'd just say purchase original Japanese DVDS with subtitles form your local anime convention or try and find them online. Considering licencing issues and what not, Sailor moon is unlikely to ever be seen again int he States. it's a frakkin conspiracy, i say! D:  

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:14 pm
Quirky Kawaii Skye
Venombabe

============
A loving heart

============

I LOVED the second episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Especially with Sammy's little freak outs > biggrin
But then he kicked Luna and I was like 'no he di'nt' xD

more like the 4th or 5th episode, amiright?

the actual 2nd episode was funny... Umino (a.k.a. Melvin) gets targeted by the baddies and he flips Haruna-sensei's skirt in front of all the other guys!  
Home

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff