Help me find a new computer. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:52 pm
As some of you already know, my computer of 5+ years is no more. I believe that the problem stems from the motherboard itself, since absolutely nothing can communicate with it.

I have been meaning to upgrade my machine for about 2 years now, and it became apparent a WHILE ago that I would need to build a new system from scratch, or just buy a whole one. Generally it's cheaper to build(As long as you're shopping at a place intended for system builders, not schmucks), but with crazy internet deals you never know.
Here's the deal I'm looking at now. The video card is actually integrated into the processor, which is something I've never heard of before... Not that it surprises me, since I know jack s**t about hardware, generally.
Pros: Price, no doubts about compatibility(Which I would otherwise have.)
Cons: No OS . I'm not entirely sure I could get windows 7 off my mom's laptop recovery disc.

I hope atleast a few of you know something about hardware :B  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:06 pm
I know a thing or two about PCs now that I've built my own and done a lot of research, so I can help. The PC you linked to seems pretty decent, but I think you should build one yourself personally. It'll save you money and you'll end up with a better and personalised PC. I'll post a list of good components tomorrow.  

Super Cheesio

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:27 pm
Um... The page I linked was for a bunch of parts that you would use to build one.

Newegg just sells these particular items together with a small discount applied.

I'm also considering this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.579828
I am told that it is better to have an unlocked processor, which is what the K after the SKU means in the name of the processor. Otherwise it's the same processor.

I may also find all the parts separately myself. I'd have some fear of incompatibility issues, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:55 pm
dis thred dumb

it rip off kuzo thred  

Allegro

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:12 pm
hey faggt read the oh pee.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:16 pm
The Core i5 2500 is pretty hot, especially if you have no plans on overclocking. It's not worthing spending even a dollar more on the unlocked variety if you'll never overclock it.

The question you have to answer first, though, is what do you do with your pc? It's hard to judge what parts fit you best when we don't know what your needs are.  

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:49 pm
I'm a pretty light PC gamer. I don't play games for the cinematic splendor, but I do play games. If I can have the settings up higher, I put them up, but I mostly like playing games.

I think that the most graphically heavy game I am interested in is Assassin's Creed 2, and I gather that the integrated graphics on Sandy Bridge processors have "Obsoleted" better cards than what is listed in the recommended box for that particular game.

Know what the best part is, though? With the right chipset(The one I'm looking for) You can add a discrete GPU later, and still have the Integrated graphics on, which to my untrained ears sounds like "more power." I believe that is because the IGP is part of the CPU.

I could be wrong, though.

Mostly I just need a computer that be absolutely useless s**t in 5 years, which I will be able to upgrade in the future.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:22 am
[Kegan]
Know what the best part is, though? With the right chipset(The one I'm looking for) You can add a discrete GPU later, and still have the Integrated graphics on, which to my untrained ears sounds like "more power." I believe that is because the IGP is part of the CPU.

I could be wrong, though.
Sounds to me like you probably are wrong. Then again, I've never heard of this chip set. Do you mean you can run a graphics card and the integrated graphics in Crosfire/SLI? If so, that is a terrible idea as the crappy integrated graphics will make the better graphics card run with equal power to the integrated graphics. I'd suggest getting an ATI Radeon HD 5770 (very good mid-range inexpensive card) and not using integrated graphics.

As for processor, I see you're looking at Intel. As long as you're not one of those people who insist on using Intel I suggest getting an AMD processor. (and obviously an AM3 montherboard) AMD give you much more power for much less money. Just something to think about.

Also, could you post your budget? I'm useless when it comes to thinking in dollars, but hey, I'll do my best to find the best components for you. I managed to build an awesome gaming PC capable of playing next gen games for only £600, so you can trust me. Right?  

Super Cheesio

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:48 am
Apparently it's different because it's not integrated into the motherboard. I heard a nerd refer to it as an "Extra head."

I liked the idea of this particular Intel product because it makes that midrange GPU unnecessary, which will save me some money, and be nice when I don't have to throw out that GPU if I ever want to upgrade.

Prices are very different between us, and I'm on Newegg right now, which provides some really great combo deals, but doesn't work with people in the UK I hear.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:38 am
Newegg works, but we can't buys stuff from there. Anyway, I guess I can't help in the cost/CPU/mobo/GPU regions. Ask if there's anything you want to know about other components and s**t.  

Super Cheesio

Kuzodav

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:42 pm
Hey. I have that tower.
The fans are pretty ballin', but I don't know how to clean them properly.
So, after a while, they'll get stuck and/or start make some noise.
The fans are decently loud anyway.
But not too big of a distraction. It gets kinda cold.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:43 pm
Allegro
dis thred dumb

it rip off kuzo thred

no wundr jezy left u  

Kuzodav

Eloquent Conversationalist

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:59 pm
Trenn is the guru. It is him.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:40 pm
go for a MB with 2 CPU slots. and fill em with 2 Hex cores. but on a serious note
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131672&cm_re=AMD_mother_board-_-13-131-672-_-Product

don't have to get it from here, but this could be a nice upgrade. 4 ram slots should be enough to get a good amount of ram in it, PCI-e slot for the GFX card.  

Xilo The Odd

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:27 am
Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156251
CPU/GPU and motherboard(With free civ V)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.575897
PSU and memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.578365
HDD
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00461LT7C/

WILL THESE WORK TOGETHER?

WHO KNOWS. (The guru)  
Social Room

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash