Amen!
View Results

Nero-Sama

7,650 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:58 pm
I've been reading a book written by Bill Wiese called "Twenty Three Minutes in Hell"

My fiancee works at Walmart, and so, sometimes to pass the time between me getting there to pick her up and her actually clocking out, I'd browse the magazine aisle, mostly looking at Nintendo Power and Shonen Jump and all that stuff. Well, sometimes, I'd have already read pretty much all of the videogame related books, so I'd check out the other sections. Each time I passed by the "Christian Book and Inspirational" section, my eyes would catch upon that specific book. It wasn't so pricey, so I eventually just bought the dang thing.

It's pretty powerful stuff. I began wondering. I know of a few people in my life whom I think might be going to Hell... I don't want to push it on them, like some kind of Bible Thumping know-it-all. I just don't want for them to experience the pain and sufferance that is in that darkest of dark places.

I wonder, just how many Christians believe in a place like this? I know I do.

A bit of background information.

I am (as of today, February 27th, 2011) a 24 year old man from Texas. I have been a Follower of Christ since I was 14. I did some things I am not exactly proud of, from when I was 17 to about the age of 22. I used to worship Pagan gods, and do Seances. I was pretty far gone into that lifestyle because of an old acquaintance of mine. One night, I went to sleep, and had a horrid nightmare, where I was in a circle with other Pagan worshipers. I saw a cup, and a blade. We pricked our fingers and bled a bit of it into the cup. Then, one of the people at the circle mixed in a grape wine, and we took turns sipping. I saw each person sip, and something strange happened. Their eyes seemed to become devoid of color, of life, really. Then, the cup was passed to me, and I saw this bulge at their stomachs, and then, they all laughed while something bored its way out of their stomachs, ripping their flesh open. I could smell the scent of iron and blood. I heard a voice say something in a language I didn't at all recognize. Yet I knew it wasn't something nice they were saying. Then, I puked up, and woke up out of breath and screaming.

I vowed that day that what I was doing was a blaspheme against God, and that I would NEVER do such things again, and began to (and I still am) try and re-connect with The Lord Jesus Christ.

That's why, when I passed this book many times while browsing magazines at Walmart, I felt myself drawn to the book. Like, I needed to read this for some reason.

Anyhow... This thread isn't specifically ABOUT 23 Minutes in Hell. Rather, I hope it to become a thread where people can discuss their thoughts on Hell and why it is such a disdainful place.

Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 am
Hell is use two different ways in the scriptures, at least that's the conclusion I have come to while studying them. One way is that it's used to described the eternal place of punishment and another way is that it is a temporary dwelling place where the spirits of those who are departed go to await the Judgement Day. This is how my religion views hell.

Hell is not a burning pit of fire and brimstone. When you see those phrases in the scriptures, it's a metaphor.

The eternal hell, is disdainful and terrible because you are eternally separated from God. That's a terrible thing! I would hate to experience it. You're soul is damned and you cannot escape. It just makes me sick even thinking about it. None of us ever have to go to this hell if we repent of our sins and devote our lives to Jesus.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Nero-Sama

7,650 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:12 pm
I for one, DO believe it to be a place of torture and of brimstone and flames. The scripture supports these facts many times over. Think of it this way.

You've just been arrested by a policeman for going 66 MPH in a 25 MPH zone. He gives you a ticket. You say "Oh, this is just a ticket... I won't pay this. Nothing bad will come of it." And, for a while, it's true. Nothing really bad happens to you. Until, one day, while walking down the street, a black van comes and parks next to you. You're grabbed, and thrown into the van. Then, you arrive at the court, and the judge says "Why have you not payed your ticket? You owe the courts $700 dollars...". You know you're in trouble now, so you pull out the money now, because you've been caught. "Please! I have the money with me right now! See? Take this, and let me go home, please!" then, the judge just shakes his head and says "I'm sorry. You have to go to prison now."

The Bible says this about Hell.
Luke chapter 16,

22 . . . the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. (Luke 16:22-28)

I understand what you are saying about the absolute separation from Our Lord Jesus. That, in and of itself is a severe form of punishment. To not know Him, to not be near Him, I can't begin to think of such a thing. But still, that's how it is, and I firmly believe that God wants no one to go there.

I can't remember the exact book I checked. In the book of Deuteronomy, The Lord states

"I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both you and your seed may live."

I think the place of "temporary dwelling" you refer to isn't infact Hell. I think that's supposed to be Purgatory, however I don't believe that the scriptures call it as such. It is mentioned in the Gospel of Matthew, and in Revelations, but isn't actually named, so far as I can see.

I could be wrong.

Anyone else have any input into the topic?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:03 pm
I'd have to find my notes on the subject to back up my stance as to why I believe hell isn't a burning pit of fire and brimstone, then post them. I do know that the belief that hell is a firey pit comes from the fact that hell in the NT is translated from the word Gehenna, which is just a trash dump outside of Jerusalem. The legend that surrounds that place is that it where burnt sacrifices were made to false gods.

Hell may seem like a burning pit, because of that eternal separation from God, the torment of not being able to be with Him once you have seen Him at Judgement Day, etc. It's just unthinkable to me, as a Christian, to even try and think of what the eternal separation from God is like. Terrible! And no, I don't think that God wants any of His children to be in hell, but we are given agency, or the ability to choose for ourselves, whom we will serve. So our choices will lead us to the right or the wrong.

The Hebrew word Sheol, which is translated as hell in the OT, literally means place of spirits, or spirit prison. The NT, I think in 1 Peter, have to double check that one talks about Christ going to teach the spirits in prison. That is where the spirit world, or the dual meaning of hell comes from.

Also as a side note, I don't believe in purgetory.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:12 am
im not really sure what to think about hell besides that i never want to go there. i know its suposed to be the worst place ever but i dont think ive done enough research to feel that it is a burning pit or just seperation from god. sometimes i wonder if hell is just nonexsistence  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:42 pm
Seperation from God is Hell. A void of God, which is a void of life. God is love, so it would also be a void of love. I don't have a clear picture of hell, just like I don't have a clear picture of an angel or of Heaven, but I do know how it would feel. Constant chaos and confusion, constant pain, and total restlessness. We would never feel even a moment of comfort and it would probably be pitch black. We would be separated from our families, perhaps watching them suffer, and I imagine everyone who we are around being dark and only holding onto evil intentions. Everything anyone would ever think about would be dark pleasures. Money(greed), Banquets without sharing(Gluttony), sex(lust), Prideful natures(duh). Everywhere you look is fear, and God is nowhere. That's how I see Hell.
Believe me. I do not want to go. (That was awful just to think about...)  

One With Hiccups

High-functioning Cranberry

11,425 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Nero-Sama

7,650 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:11 pm
I think the important thing that should be said is...

It doesn't matter WHAT Hell is like. It is better to be with the Lord. So, then. Don't let a single soul fling himself into the depths of Hell if you can help it.

I hate the thought that there are two people I no longer speak with who might burn in Hell... I loved those people very dearly. I really hope to see them when I die.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:44 pm
Nero-Sama
I think the important thing that should be said is...

It doesn't matter WHAT Hell is like. It is better to be with the Lord. So, then. Don't let a single soul fling himself into the depths of Hell if you can help it.

I hate the thought that there are two people I no longer speak with who might burn in Hell... I loved those people very dearly. I really hope to see them when I die.

I agree with this. We shouldn't worry or discuss what it is, bu be sure to never GO there. It's worse than you can ever imagine and I think it should be left at that. We should stay strong in the Lord so we never go there, for being separated from Him sounds unbearable.

and to the OP, I think the best thing we can do to help those who might go to Hell is to pray for them to see and act in His light. We can't and shouldn't shove the bible down their throats.  

X_Valentine_Lovegood_X

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:43 pm
Is right for us as Christians to assume that just because some one backslides they are going to hell? Isn't that judging and disobeying what Christ said? ("Judge not lest ye be judged") Why automatically assume that just because some one is not on track in their walk with Christ they are going to hell? That's not our place to decide....just thought I'd point that out.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:45 pm
The people I'M talking about, Shadows.... They're part of that old lifestyle I told about.... That's why I'm pretty sure they're going there... Though I pray they won't.  

Nero-Sama

7,650 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:32 am
Shadows-shine
Is right for us as Christians to assume that just because some one backslides they are going to hell? Isn't that judging and disobeying what Christ said? ("Judge not lest ye be judged") Why automatically assume that just because some one is not on track in their walk with Christ they are going to hell? That's not our place to decide....just thought I'd point that out.

if i could i would tip your post  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:53 am
Nero-Sama
The people I'M talking about, Shadows.... They're part of that old lifestyle I told about.... That's why I'm pretty sure they're going there... Though I pray they won't.

You're making assumptions about where they are going, in essence condemning them. You don't know where or what God has planned for their lives. Don't assume just because some one is on par with the values you have that they are going to hell. That's judgement, some thing we are not supposed to do. Judgement is for God alone!  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Nero-Sama

7,650 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:10 pm
Okay. Let me clear it up a little more...

I have one friend who is praying and worshiping celtic "gods", and a few other friends who literally blaspheme and think themselves to be a god in their own rite.

I'm no expert, but say they died today, I'm pretty sure that's a "Go to Hell" sitrep right there...

I pray that Jesus does something to wake them up.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:56 pm
Again, it's not for you to decide where that person's final destination in the path to eternity is, regardless of what path they are on right now. I'm not saying don't be concerned for them or pray for them, by all means do that, but don't say they are going to hell. Are they on the wrong path? Yes. But the final destination resides with that person's choices and what God says on Judgement Day.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Nero-Sama

7,650 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:57 pm
Shadows, what do you think then, is the right course of action? I am already praying to The Lord that he may deliver my old friends from sin. I wish sincerely everyday, that I may be able to see my friends when I die and go to be with the Lord.

I have to say though... I looked through my recorded posts, and I don't believe I ever said "I condemn my friend to Hell", have I?

That being said, I'd like to hear more about what you think happens to a person in such circumstances.  
Bible Questions and Debating

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff