Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Nothing's coming.
Interesting... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

poll
  magicgold
View Results

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 pm
Somebody took a poll about what parents find offensive in a video game. Here are the results:

37% - man and woman having sex

27% - two men kissing

26% - graphically severed human head

10% - multiple use of the F word

So if we're assuming that these parents are worried about kids copying what they see on a video game, which is what parents claim to be worried about, there are a lot of parents who think sex and kissing is worse than decapitating someone. Seriously. confused

Yes, I know games have had violence in them for a long time, but if they were truly worried about their kids copying these games, wouldn't murder be a little higher on the list?

And if they're just worried about traumatizing the kiddies, wouldn't a bloody severed head be more traumatizing than two guys snogging?

P.S. This is not about censorship, okay? So dude, put the rhetoric away this time. I'm more interested in the psychology behind this poll. If you post one thing about censorship here, I swear to whatever god you believe in that I will delete that post. 3nodding I am NOT gonna be drawn into debate about that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:31 pm
In my oppinoin censorship is important................................................................Jk jk jk dont delete plz
any ways i think they should ban parents thoughts on video games because they have no idea why kids play video games i mean would u rather them kill some 1 in a vid game or kill some 1 in real life XD just my opinion thx  

Ichigo1223

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:56 pm
Lol, well, I think people should be allowed to express their opinions. I just wish their opinions tended to be a bit more enlightened. But you're right, if they don't play, they're missing out on the why and how of video games. They should be educated.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:19 pm
XD!!! Oh dear.

"Johnny, it's okay that you decapitated our next door neighbor but I can never forgive you for having protected sex with your girlfriend of 6 years!"

I am actually a slight bit shocked that not more parents are worried about the two-men kissing thing. (Or two women...which where I am from seems to be viewed as a bigger sin than two men).

[ wham.bam.eclectic.princess.love ]

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:36 pm
I think it's crap! *sighs* Okay the irrational side is out of the way. ^_^

Honestly though...it is silly really. I mean parents raise all kinds of layers of hell because oh the game says this bad word, or has two people getting it on like bunnies, or that guy just lopped that dude's head off, or they just unloaded an entire submachine gun clip into that one guy. Yet, they go off and buy the kid the very game they're complaining about. Seriously what is up with these parents?

I mean I can understand about being upset about some of this stuff making it onto day time T.V. and you having to explain to your little one about some of this stuff, but when you complain about a game and then buy them that game I'm sorry but you lose the right to complain and be taken seriously.

Of course stores need to start getting serious about checking I.D. but hey they are starting to get better but they're still pretty laxed(?) but at the same time if the parents are going to buy them the game and then get pissed at the game company for having this stuff in it then they shouldn't have bought the game for their child in the first place.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:44 pm
In my opinion the two guys kissing is really not bad but thats probably cuz I'm bi and any ways if we really were worried enough about wat was actually going on on tv we would relize that half the s**t is worse than all the s**t in video games I mean com on pay attention  

Ichigo1223

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:00 pm
I disagree with ichigo about the first comment.
(note I didn't bring it up nor am I creating a debate about it - I'm simply replying to someone elses post)

But I do agree that they should ban comments by parents that have no idea what they're talking about. (because they are stupid people)

The only reason these assholes are whining like F'ing infants is because they're stupidly paranoid about things that they lack the brain power to understand.
They see ONE damn thing and think that the whole game is about it (referencing purples story about a co-workers complaint about the simpsons) without even looking at the rest of it to see if their preposterous insulting accusations have even the smallest foothold in reality.

Plus, if they are one of the morons that actually whine about something they themselves bought, it's only because they're embarrest about being "tricked" into buying something that they fear makes them look 1:foolish and 2:like bad parents. Sence self-image is THE ONLY THING that that these dumb-F's care about.

By blaiming the companies, they only hope to save face.

(note that you can't delete this post, purple - because I did NOT specifically complain about the thing you banned me from bring up, and thus did NOT brake your threads rule)

ALSO: "Ichigo" means "strawberry" in Japanese ^.^  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:00 pm
I agree with you Ichigo the two guy's kissing doesn't really bother me but then again not much really phases me to badly. I'm a rather open minded person and I see love as one of those things we have little to no control over so you love whom you love.

I also agree with your comment about T.V. being far worse then the video games. Talking to a few of my older friends who already have children I get to see a view point I myself don't, since I don't have kids, and the fact that these parents are having to explain what "K.Y. jelly" is to their 4 year old when they ask them about the commercial. Later having a talk with my mother, which we wonder all over the place in our talks, I found out that back in the day something like that would have never been seen on the T.V. during day time but would show up late at night.

So yeah I find it a bit hypocritical that these parents don't raise such a big stink about these commercials not to mention other programs or even shows that have such suggestive material. Shoot a cartoon I passed by had such suggestive material in it yet it's okay to let your kid watch this and not raise a stink but it's not okay for a game not to mention the game has a warning on it and you bought it for them? Anyone else see a flaw there or is it just me?  

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:00 pm
I agree with Moonracer. If you don't want your child exposed to something, then don't go out and purchase the games for them. My mom is a hypocrite herself when it comes to this. She thinks guns and violence are wrong and doesn't want my brother to have anything to do with that stuff, yet she bought him Call of Duty for his XBOX.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 pm
Lmao! No guns for you! Here, play CoD. lol

Yeah, tv is a lot worse in many ways because it's a lot more graphic and realistic. When you see a decapitated head on tv, it tends to look like a real decapitated head.

And I agree that cartoons can be reeeaaallllyyy suggestive. Hell, Bugs Bunny introduced me to cross-dressing. And then there was the wolf and red riding hood. And today's cartoons are practically adult in nature by comparison, so it really is amazing that more parents don't complain about that.

As for men kissing, I've read a lot of polls and surveys that show that people are actually a lot more okay with that sort of thing than the media have made it seem. Personally, I'm glad. But people do tend to be a bit contradictory about these things. A girl I work with used to say that being gay was wrong, and now she's dating a girl. confused

Having grown up in a household that was oddly puritanical about the use of curse words, however, I'm a little surprised that the F word rated so low. xd But then with the severed head being so low on the chart, I guess it's not that big of a surprise.

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Ichigo1223

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:21 am
Ok I give all parentsa veto on that because if you dont buy CoD for your kijd you dont love them enough..........XD jk
Oh and btw xwhateverxdude not to start an arguement but its alright for a man and a women to have sex on t.v. any time of daybut guys aren't allowed to kiss on t.v. Period? This is not a debate just re replying to some one  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:15 pm
Ichigo: agreed.
Personally I think both should be considdered OK to have on tv.

It's kinda like they're trying to tell their children that "love" is worse then "war"
No wonder most of the country is made up of war-mongers.

I'd vote for a return to the hippy days of "love and piece" but then...
we wouldn't have the awesome video games that we do.

So to sum it up...
We're smart, everyone else is stupid... end of story... LOL

(This is not a debate just re re replying to some one else)  

xwhateverxdudex

xX Catgirl - Pierce Xx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:25 pm
HEY Ichigo1223 !!!

This is your name in japanese.
ichigo = ใ„ใกใ”

(can you even see it? or do you just get those stupid little boxes that the browser gives you when it doesn't know what something is)  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:26 pm
I believe Ichigo is deriving his name from the character in the Anime BLEACH, and not from the japanese translation of strawberry. Judging by his profile.

I personally don't care who kisses who, I don't want to see anyone kissing. Not man/woman - man/man - woman/woman. I just think kissing in general is gross to watch. Same with sex. In my opinion, it's disgusting. I don't ever care to watch it. ...But, MY personal preferences have nothing to do with anyone else. If someone else wants to watch it, then that's their preference. ......But, I think as far as parents go, they shouldn't be so hypocritical. If I had a child, then I would explain my personal beliefs and until they were old enough, I would enforce my beliefs on my child. But, once they were old enough to understand then I would explain things to them and let them make their own choices.

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:58 am
I figured as much.
But it doesn't change much for me...
Just means that he's named for an anime character that was named after strawberrys.
The main character in "Tokyo Mew Mew" was also named "Ichigo" in her transformed state.

Sounds like you would go about it the RIGHT way ^.^

On a side note... I could never understand how people could think something is "gross" to watch if they have done it themselves. Shouldn't a "meh"(and go on with your business) attitute be more understandable? (even if they don't "want" to take time to watch it, having a "meh" attitude would be more understandable in my book, then thinking it's gross)
*is slitely confused* (especially sence it's a natural thing - part of nature I mean, animal instinct and all)  
Nothing's coming.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff