Hmong is a type of Asian 

Tags: Hmong, Hmoob, Asian 

Reply Nyob zoo! Hmong People Unite! Have fun! ^_^
Hmong Lanuage Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think we are losing our Hmong language?
  Yes
  No
  Not sure?
View Results

HmoobNerd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:57 pm
Okay, is it just me or is that we Hmong are losing are language. I mean we are constantly substituting enlgish words for hmong words that we already have in hmong. For example, common words that my family barely use in hmong are mom, dad, phone, school, car, bad, stupid, toy, sit, etc. You know what I mean. Try to talk for Hmong only for one full hour. It's harder than you think! Even though we do not have a lot of hmong words that the english language does I am trying to use every hmong word that I can. Even though it feels king of weird, but I am getting use to it. I feel that we should protect our language!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:38 pm
I know they say the first love is the sweetest ,

Uhh no ?
I don't think so .
Just change your lifestyle .
See 'cos if you're fobbish , and came to America ,
you'd speak Hmong more than English right ?
Yes you would 'cos you had a different lifestyle . . .
and you weren't introduced to Engish as much .
[ being fobbish isn't my point . ]

❝❤❞

But that first cut is the deepest .

Raynkazuya

IRL Sex Symbol

Mintyfreshyo
Crew

6,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:52 am
I believe it's on one person's point of view. I say that the new generation of HTTs are going to keep this language up. But! If they start teaching their kids english more than hmong, we truly will lose our language.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:48 pm
It kinda depends if you live in a Hmong populated community. With more Hmong people around you, generally, you'll have more reasons to speak Hmong. What I notice was that people who's grandparents live with/near them speak Hmong more because the old people don't know much English, generally. For me, the Hmong community here isn't too big, and my grandmothers live at least a state away. I don't speak Hmong much  

azn_knight367
Captain

Lonely Explorer

8,125 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100

Swat Team Leader

Lonely Lover

9,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:08 pm
*nods my head* For me... i know more English than Hmong. I am going to Minnesota to learn Hmong or more... to read and write it. But yeah.... my parents never teach me it.... So it's time for me to learn it. =w=  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:01 pm
I don't believe that our language is lost yet. There are plenty of Hmong kids out there that still can speak Hmong.  

silver_avenger

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:07 pm
my parents didn't teach me Japanese . So It time for me to learn Japanese and Chinese Madrian. i was gonna to learn Korean.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:29 pm
How I learned to read Hmong was by singing, like in church we sing Hmong songs and the words are on the projector  

azn_knight367
Captain

Lonely Explorer

8,125 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:56 pm
Oh wow really? Cool  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:09 pm
Are the Hmong losing their language? Well, similar to what some are saying, it depends on the individual's thinking. To some, we are and to others, we're not.

However, to me, I think that any culture living in a "foreign" land are required to speak that land's main language in order to survive in that society. The Hmong in America or the Hmong in China, Laos, Thailand, Europe, New Guinea, Australia, etc are all living in "foreign" lands, so they are all required to speak the main language of that land. And if a group of people live in a different place for a long enough time (generation after generation), they will later lose their home language.

What I am getting at is that I do think the Hmong are losing their language. I live in the second most Hmong populated state in America and I see at least one other Hmong person everyday. Most of the younger Hmong are speaking more English than Hmong. Yup. That's it.

(Note: foreign is in " " because it is unknown where the Hmong originated)

[Edit] The Hmong language also have words from the chinese, lao and thai language as well as English.  

Mahikokatoru

Invisible Rogue

12,725 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Swat Team Leader

Lonely Lover

9,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:27 am
You think Hmong people should have their own country?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:46 pm
Swat Team Leader
You think Hmong people should have their own country?

Think back a few threads, we CREATED our own island, man!!  

CrimsonsDecayingRose
Crew

The Dadalorian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:32 pm
i've noticed it's kind of slangy with the newr generation, when i learned it from my companion people would ask if i was speaking green hmong, and they said i kept switching back and forth. i don't think shamanism will last many more generations either  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:38 pm
I think we should learn our own language. I think it wrong to lose the language that your given in your culture saying that English is important. but Also it is important to speak Japanese.  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:22 pm
I think it is true we are losing our culture speaking language. it sad.  
Nyob zoo! Hmong People Unite! Have fun! ^_^

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff