Reply Social Room
The Weekly Writers Writing Contest (Closed) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ForsakenSwordsman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:25 am
The Weekly Writers Contest (www), is a weekly contest that challenges entrants to write something that relates to a weekly theme. You can write anything from poetry to prose, or indeed anything that involves the written word. Be creative!

The winner is decided by vote. Only those who enter that weeks contest are allowed to vote, and you can't vote for yourself. When voting please send your choice to me directly, do not post it for everyone to see.

Rules can differ slightly each week, so please pay close attention to the guidelines provided both below and in the thread itself. If you have a question, just ask and I will do my best to help.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:26 am
CURRENT CONTEST
Contest 002
Deadline: Sunday 8th May 2011 (BST)
Theme: "Execution"
Word Limit: 700 words maximum
Other: One entry per person  

ForsakenSwordsman

ForsakenSwordsman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:28 am
HALL OF FAME
Contest 1: "Tempest" Winner: Super Cheesio
Contest 2: "Execution" Winner: Somebody Awesome  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:29 am
CURRENT ENTRANTS
Entrant 1 - Name - ??? words  

ForsakenSwordsman

ForsakenSwordsman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:36 am
The thread is now open for posting. The first contest is as follows.

Contest 001
Deadline: Sunday 1st May 2011 (BST)
Theme: "Tempest"
Word Limit: 500 words maximum
Other: One entry per person

Please read the rules in the first post before entering. Those who do not follow the guidelines set down (such as how to vote) will be disqualified from that weeks contest (even if they're Wayne!)  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:54 am
:O
Sounds exciting!

I will have to try it if I stop being a lazy a*****e.  

Orphie

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:29 am
I lived in possibly the most secluded area in the land. The rolling hills and craggy mountains surrounding our home were unspoilt by human hands. It was beautiful to say the least, and my family led a happy life there.
Living peacefully holds it's problems however, and a grave problem arose when my family fell ill. Normally we could use our herbs, but this illness was far too serious to be remedied by mere plants. As the only healthy male in the household, it was my job to seek outside help.
The closest doctor to us worked in the city 50 miles North of here. We didn't have a horse so I had to go there by foot.
At first the journey treated me well. Although it was winter, the weather was fair. A light breeze gently whipped round the hills, the trees and plant life animating it's course. The air smelled fresh and the grass crunched satisfyingly under foot.
I did not fatigue until night, at which point I set up my tent, had a quick snack, and lay waiting for my dreams to lift me away. I couldn't sleep though. The previously gentle breeze was starting to pick up pace and the cold night air whistled through my tent loudly.
What seemed like many hours later, the sun began to poke it's head above the horizon and I emerged from my tent, which had taken a beating from the now baffling wind over night. I watched the sunrise for a few minutes and turned back to my tent. It had gone. After a startled search I found my tent rolling Northwards, jumped on it, and extracted my belongings. I battled with the tent and finally folded it up.
Continuing my steady walk to the city, I noticed the wind was pushing me forwards. As I entered a mountain range and climbed higher, the wind was so strong I had to run with it or it violently shoved me to the ground.
Of course, when climbing mountains this was a problem. Eventually I had to run into a cliff, and after a few hours of safe running and a few falls, I blindly ran off a cliff. Screaming as I fell, I quickly grabbed for my camping equipment hoping if I landed on it it would soften my fall. The tent came loose as I held it tightly and I felt it yank my arm up. The rate of decent slowed as I landed in a grassy valley with a thud. An electrifying sock ran through my legs as I collapsed onto the ground crying in pain.
My legs would not carry me to the city any more. However, the tent's effect on my jump off the cliff gave me an idea. Using sticks and rope I crafted the tent into a sort of hand glider. As long as the wind kept blowing Northwards it could possibly carry me for quite a distance.
With the modified tent, I limped up out of the valley to the top of a high cliff, got the tent in position, and skipped painfully towards the edge of the cliff. I closed my eyes and jumped.
The suspense was terrifying. I kept my eyes closed for a while, and felt no pain or impact. Had I died? I opened my eyes to see the ground speed by below me. The incredible tempest flinging my tent across the sky was unbelievably powerful, and most importantly, taking me Northwards.
I was overjoyed. I forgot all my fears and worries as I swooped gracefully through the cold winter air.
After an hour or so, the sky went a light shade of pink and the sun sank peacefully below the horizon. The city was fast approaching, and the wind started to die down. The tent slowly lost momentum and drifted down outside the city gates.
Whichever God was watching over me that day, I could not thank them enough. This miracle of nature saved my family and provided me with the greatest adventure of my life.

(Had to do a lot and cut a lot to keep the word count down for this. There is no way I can write a decent story without going over 500 words. Do I still need to cut more or can I get away with this?)  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:35 pm
I'd type something up but then I'd be a hypocrite for not doing my English paper.  

Kuzodav

Eloquent Conversationalist

ecopper12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:51 pm
Um...YES!

A writing contest?

I'M SO IN!

Just one question: Tempest refers to the weather, right?

So, it's a story about a storm?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:01 pm
ForsakenSwordsman
(even if they're Wayne!)

DAMMIT!

I'll try to make an entry, but by the time I finish it, it'll probably be Monday by your time. I hope that's not an issue. :p  

Waynebrizzle

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:06 pm
ecopper12
Um...YES!

A writing contest?

I'M SO IN!

Just one question: Tempest refers to the weather, right?

So, it's a story about a storm?
I think a tempest means pretty much any weather that involves strong wind, hence my story about a strong wind.

Nice idea for someone wanting to do a stupid comedy story: the hugest fart ever... I take back the 'nice' part.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:41 pm
@ Orphie: Sounds good. I'm going to try and keep them coming each week so if you miss a week etc you can always get in next time and so on.

@ Cheesio: I'm still toying with how many words I should allow etc. Seeing as this is the very first contest and it's all trial and error I will increase the word limit to 700. If anyone disagrees etc, just let know.

@ Kuzodav: Well, there's always next time, or the time after that ^^

@ ecopper12: Yeah, tempest normally refers to a storm etc, but the idea is that I present you with the theme (in this case a single word) and you can choose how to interpret it..there was a tempest station in Lost I think, so you could be weird and write a story about that. As long as you can show how you work links to the theme I'll accept just about anything.

@ Wayne: Haha, *instantly disqualified!*  

ForsakenSwordsman

ForsakenSwordsman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:07 am
My entry, subject to change before the deadline hits if I spot mistakes or want to do it over razz

Pale sands crafted under feet, morning sun pushes me off in some vague direction in a tiny craft made up from a desire to find that which is not here.

Sun beats a gentle rhythm upon my skin, water plays around my fingers as days roll on and the sounds become a rising tempo orchestrated by darkening clouds.

It comes from some place unknown; no manner of human device could ever hope to sense its approach. The music is rising, vibrating my flesh with its touch.

The spray of the sea, tempest surrounds me.

It roars like some beast, tearing my heart asunder and rending my vessel aloft into dark blue skies of watery reflection.

I am lost in utter blank reminiscence of shallow mornings, a distant glimmer of the sun far beyond my reach amidst the whirling crash.

Everything is lost, Oh that we did not see it coming, that we never lift our heads from star studded seas to see without the distortion of the waves.

Dragon of the sky, the sea and land tear my heart from my body and snap my bones beneath me.

Rises, rise said tempest yaw, hammer my hands beneath your crushing reality.

Swirl! Damn your eyes you cursed twisted morning night. Compass lost.

Pale sands crafted under broken hands, quiet night pushes me off in some vague direction, borne up the rolling waves as I sink. I leave my vessel to those who come hereafter, to sail the directionless sea and suffer the tempest.    
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:26 pm
Damnit. My simple story is no match for your fancy pants poetic thing. :/  

Super Cheesio

l-Kathulu-l

Versatile Man-Lover

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:13 pm
This is interesting, I'll sign up and submit something by the time the deadline over. I will be a hypocrite instead of doing my essay for English.  
Social Room

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff