Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Adobe Photoshop 3 vs. CS Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Loganville

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:22 pm
What version do you use and why? One of my mentors, who has been in the field of advertising for 15 years, uses an eMac and Photoshop 3. He feels that the newer versions of photoshop have only added fluff nothing pratical. The computer gets done what he needs it to get done. He has the money to upgrade but feels that it is an uneeded expense, and his work proves it. Just a thought.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:57 pm
I use Photoshop 6.0. Personally, I don't think there's too much of a difference between the very new versions and the older ones because they just have a few more effects, but the main ones are still there. stare I like my Photoshop though. razz  

Rykea

shojosparkles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:05 pm
I've never used Photoshop 3.0, but one thing I know for sure is that Photoshop CS is unstable on my comp. I have to save frequently. My Photoshop unexpectedly decides it hates me and dies.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:06 pm
RubberSoul
I've never used Photoshop 3.0, but one thing I know for sure is that Photoshop CS is unstable on my comp. I have to save frequently. My Photoshop unexpectedly decides it hates me and dies.
Oh my god. I hate it when that happens. I've made it a habit now, constant saving and stuff. It's so annoying when you've worked hard on something and Photoshop dies and you lose everything. gonk  

Rykea

Cativa Carni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:34 am
Never used or seen version 3 before o_o But I've worked with Photoshop 7 whee I prefer Cs over it any day sweatdrop It just feels so much easier to use, more organised, has more filters and features. Looks better too..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:30 pm
I agree in theory, that if you know your tool and their limitations, you often don't need the newest upgrades.

However, there is a limit to it. At some point, your files may not be supported any longer. Or you may no longer be competative in the market if you have to take 3 times as long on any project because you can't take advantage of new techniques, tools, automation, etc.

For my own part, I learned on PS3, upgraded to 5.5, then to PS7 and it has 90% of the funtionality I use daily. However, with digital photography taking up more of my time, my workflow has needed to add in the ability to natively read and use raw files, and CS makes that pretty seamless.

So - depends on what you do, and your own needs. I regularly need more than 100 layers, and the ability for the program to access more than 2 gb of ram at a time, PS 3 cannot do that. His needs are likely different than my own.  

rogue_designer

GhoSt-X

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:56 am
photoshop CS works best for me .. photoshop 3 i havent really used but CS has high compadibility for Photo RAW postprocessing...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:42 pm
I use CS2.. why?
Because I got it for free.  

spitshine sonata

candee-addict

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:46 pm
COREL PHOTO SHOP X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it ROX!  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:19 pm
Sure, one can do great things in Photoshop 3. I've even seen great stuff done in Paintbrush. I don't really think that's the point here.

The point is, like stated above, speed and compatibility. Sure, the effect achieved using the "Highlight & Shadows" filter can also be achieved by masking and using other tools, but it takes quite a lot of time. The same thing applies all over. I mean, more than half the tools in Photoshop are just different approaches on doing the same thing, but because they approach it in different ways I can experiment in different ways too.

If not for anything else though, he should really upgrade to something better just to get the history list. Undoing stuff in several steps is one of the most asked-for features i Photoshop ever. The angels wept tears of joy when they added it.  

Szandrah

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:46 pm
spitshine sonata
I use CS2.. why?

Ditto.  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:57 pm
spitshine sonata
I use CS2.. why?

yep.. that's the truth for me too wink

my first photoshop was the 5... and there's little details that make the new one more easy and fast

Raja_Aka

Emrysa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:58 pm
To me, CS2 feels more intuitive, if that makes sense. sweatdrop

I should add, in comparison to 7 and not 3.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:57 am
Hrm... there might not be much of an advantage to upgrading from say Photoshop 7 to Photoshop CS2 because the functionality is pretty similar for design work, I've found... but there have been huge leaps since Photoshop 3. I'm sure everything is still possible with 3 if you have more skill and time, but time is the issue. There are some things that I think have to be done mostly manually to do properly (please don't anyone use the Cloud render for clouds xp ), but some things can be done to the same quality in a fraction of the time with modern programs. I think there's a point when being 'old skool' is just inconvenient and unneccessary.  

Chisa
Vice Captain

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:23 pm
Loganville
What version do you use and why? One of my mentors, who has been in the field of advertising for 15 years, uses an eMac and Photoshop 3. He feels that the newer versions of photoshop have only added fluff nothing pratical. The computer gets done what he needs it to get done. He has the money to upgrade but feels that it is an uneeded expense, and his work proves it. Just a thought.

I haven't noticed many new "features" in the newer versions, that I've actually used. I used to have a borrowed version of Photoshop 6. Now I just use The Gimp.  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff