Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
Do you get it? It's in the names!!!~Update! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:50 am
You know, I'm gonna blame this ALL on Insane_bunny. 'Cause of her complaint about the names started me thinking sweatdrop blaugh

What's in the name of the English dubs?

We pretty much know about the Japanese ones- through and through like a good Moonie should!

But....ever wonder about the American dubbed ones?

Like...Why is Makoto named Lita?

What's with Molly's name?

Why is Shingo called Sammy?

Well with the help of a baby name site I've found All the answers shall be at hand!

Now, let us begin ....

Serena Tsukino (For I don't think they've changed the last name in all of the senshi's names)

Serena means:

Calm, serene.

It's an Alternative to Serenity.

Added note from the finder(ie me):

Well, as stated in another Thread, the lead star of Sailormoon has quite a few names.

1. Usagi is because in one Japanese tale they tell of a rabbit making mochi on the moon. (the reason for the carters on the moon.)

And also you can see a rabbit's face on it (eh, another legend).

2.So again, I'm guessing Naoko-sama (who named them all) used that part of the myth to name the main star of Sailormoon.

3.Bunny is just the english translation of her Japanese name- Usagi(Rabbit).

American Dubb wanted to keep the moon refernce when they renamed them so that the american audenice would understand and connect more.

Darien Shields:

Darien means: Wealthy or 'Good Wealthy'

Sheilds means: Protect (or something along those lines)

Added notes:

Now (also stated in another thread) we understand why Mamoru is called Darien Shields.
This character's Japanese name means Protector(of)Earth.

So we can also get why the last name is Shields.

I have a theory on why Mamoru was called Darien in the Dubbed American version.

1. Darien is also another varitation of Darius, which is also translanted to King and Wealthy.

And since Mamoru is Wealthy (lucky little..) and since his parents in both past and present were not there or were dead he would be King of Earth, ne?

Also the name Endymion as always been shrouded with conflicting stories. Was he a shepherd? Or a king? Some say he was a king of a kingdom and in others it says he was a simple sheep tender.
In any away, he became the Lover of Selene....

but I digress.... on to the next one.

Raye Hino:

Raye means: A stream or King. And seemingly it's 'Idependent'

Added Notes:

Raye's name is kinda hard to pin down at the moment as it is a sort of nickname as well as a real name too.

Though if the director (or whoever) of the Dubbed picked it out, he/she did a good job.

Independent and 'King' fits the Fire Senshi very well. Given her history from when she was a child, she fills that role as an 'independent.' when we first meet her in the Sailormoon story.

next up:

Amy Anderson: Aka Ami (it's pronounded 'Ah-may') Mizuno.

Amy means: Beloved. It is also another varitation of 'Amelia' which means Industrious and Striving.

Anderson means: Son of Andrew.

Addednotes: Well this one is slightly a doozy even for me.

But I get how her name could mean both Beloved and 'industrious and striving'.

Amy is a hard worker, in and out of all the espiodes and manga and everything in the SM world. She strives to be the best so she could be a Doctor and help people.
But, she also has her friends and her mother too and she is well loved, especially in the Inners.

Anderson is one of those European surnames (yes yes it's american and whatever english speaking counrty surname too). And it's a simple way of saying 'Andrew's family or this is Andrew's son.'

Though, I like Mizuno better.

Lita Kino: aka Makoto Kino

Lita means: The little winged one varitions of Alita which also means 'noble''

Addednotes:

I think this is a rather sweet name for the tom-boy wanna be feminine girl. In a sense she could be both of the names. When she's first meets Usagi, she's rather noble in a way that she helps Usagi out of a tight spot with those idiot boys.

Though, I wouldn't say she was 'little' by any means. They probably either liked the name or they're going for Opposites (which sometimes happens.).

Mina Aino: aka Minako Aino.

Mina: Japanese it means 'South' and in Germany it means 'Love'

Added Notes:

Well that was Easy. Minako's name is related to her planet. Though whether Naoko took the name from the English Language and fused it with a little Japanese is up to debate.
Either way it's a cool name in any Language.

Amara Tenou: aka Haruka Tenou

Amara means: Unfaded or Eternal Beauty.

Added Notes: Well that's a surprise for me, I tell you. Who would've thought that Mega Tom Boy Amara would have such a lovely name and meaning to it?
I'm betting this was to more or less make her a little more 'girly'. But the meaning hits it right on the nail. 'Unfaded'. Her loyalty and courage have never wavered even in the Stars Anime.

*sniffs* yup it fits her.

Michelle Kaiou: aka Michiru Kaiou

Michelle means: Like Lord a feminine version of Micheal another alternative to Michiline which means ' Who is like God?'

Added note:

Wow....I mean...wow...if she's like God...then I can die happy. J/k.

Anywho, I think they picked this because it is very similar to the 'Michi' part. >>

Trista Meiou: aka Setsuna Meiou

Trista means: The melancholy one.

added note: Another bull's eye ladies and gents. What a perfect name for a woman who's spent eons alone at the time gate watching events, some horrific...and some happy and some sad? Wouldn't you be Melancholy too if you were her standing there at the gates while life passes you by?

I think the people of Dub were starting to think....

Now the supposed and proposed dubbed names for Hotaru:

Tara: Irish Gaelic: A rocky hill, from the ancient home of Ireland's kings. Sanskrit: A star. The name of a Buddhist goddess.

added note: there's no real exact meaning from what I can see on the sight....but dang....she's got...a good shot with that one...

Helen: The light of the sun.

added note: erm...riiight....I think I like the Tara one better...

-----

now for some of the civilains.

Andrew: Aka Motoki

Andrew means: Manly courageous.

added note:.....Oo;;; nice... I guess they drew names out of a hat with that. Hm.. Anyway, I can see him being both, espeically in the Anime when he went to help his girlfriend Reika. x.x;;

Melvin: aka Umino(sp?)

Melvin means: Mill worker

added note: well, I was kinda expecting that and a little more. But yeah in a sense he is a little like that. He gets the best marks in Usagi's classes! and he's like...the poor man trying to get the girl from the rich man.

Molly: aka Naru

Molly means: Bitter, as in a bitterly wanted child. Also - The star of the sea.

added note:

Man, poor Naru. But it might explain some things... She lives with a hard working mother above a jewelery shop. Where's the father me wonders...? It's a nice spin on the character in a way.
But then again, I can see Molly being Bitter towards people.

Irene Tsukino: aka Ikuko Tsukino

Okay for those that don't know they're meaning:

Ikuko means: culturally advanced child/ being brought up well child.

Irene means: Peace

Added note:

Ikuko rules her house. I mean, she's a sweet lady and babies her kids (I wish she was my mom...). But she's very aware of her surroundings- more then Usagi seems to realize.
I guess she could be a bit of 'Peace' for our main heroine.

Ken Tsukino: Kenji Tsukino

Kenji means:intelligent second son, strong and vigorous.

Ken means:Handsome and fair, or born of fire.

added note: Well he's all of these. After all, how could he catch such a looker as Ikuko if he weren't handsome? He's strong in his own right especially when he went with Sammy to the VR games.

He's Fair, and he's intelligent and strong in every sense of the word. He has to be to have a family like his.

Sammy Tsukino: aka Shingo Tsukino

Shingo means: From what I gather it's 'Apple'

Sammy means:She who listens also an achievement.

Added: eh... yeah... Sammy listens and he achieves great many things...
for a brat. xD

And that's it for now. Do note, tha tthe Addednotes are just my opinions and yeah I hunted for these suckers for a while now. *it's like 6am now.*

But what do you think? Think the Dubbers had a brain when they named these characters? >>?

----

Even though...we know the jap names of these characters- no one has the meaning of them! Well, most of them.

Like:

Furuhata Motoki:

Motoki means: (n) original stock; (P)

Furuhata- beacking it down I'm only guessing on it.

'Furu' means: furu*
(adj-na,n) full; (P)

furu
(n) used; secondhand

furu
(v5r) to precipitate; to fall (e.g., rain); (P)

furu
(v5r,vt) (1) to wave; to shake; to swing; (2) to sprinkle; (3) to cast (actor); to allocate (work); (4) to turn down (somebody); to reject; to jilt; (5) to abandon; to give up; to ruin; (P)

'Hata;-

hata
(n) sea basses; groupers

hata
(n) flag; (P)

hata
(n) loom

hata
(n) (1) near; close; beside; vicinity; proximity; besides; while; (2) third person

hata
(n) (1) near; close; beside; vicinity; proximity; besides; while; (2) third person

(As. I. B says)

Momo- Peach/ thigh femur.

Umino Gurio:

Gurio-(unable to find)

Umino- (?) Water of....?

Yuichiro Kumada- Yuichiro -(unknown. >> Very few I've seen had his name translated.O.o)

Kumada-(dunno either.)

Unazuki Furuhata- Unazuki- Also unknown. It seems 'Una' is a bit of a water reference. Or things the live -in- the water.

'Zuki'- could be a reference to appearance or something like that.

Haruna Sakurada-

Sakurada- >> Well it seems the first part of the name 'Sakura' points towards the meaning ' Cherry blossom.'

Haruna- is a Camillia a type of flower as well. (I believe)

Haru part is also a season which is 'Spring'

Na- na*
(prt) (sentence end, mainly masc.) indicates emotion, emphasis, prohibition, etc.

and that's it for now..x.x if anyone can figure out all the names and stuff.

I'll be happy to add it. domokun  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:33 pm
Ami is actually pronounced Ah-mee, If it was pronounced Ah-may, it'd be spelled ame, which means rain for trivial interest. I'm also fairly sure they just gave her Anderson as a last name because it sounded good with Amy. At least Cloverway turned her back into Amy Mizuno @_@

Lita is also a different way of spelling Leda, which is a Jupiterian moon 3nodding

There was also a rumor than Hotaru was gonna be called Alexandra, which means Protector of Mankind. Or Rebecca, which means loyal/faithful. They both fit Saturn to an extent as well 3nodding I'm still happy they kept Hotaru though.

Minako's name is supposed to mean "All child of love"... but it's iffy.

Michelle is just a romaji tranlation of Michiru, if you wrote Michelle in kana, it'd be Michiru or Mishiru. It just happens to mean about the same thing, which is odd.

Also, you'll note the names don't really start fitting or just being slang of the original names until Cloverway took over. DiC just Americanized Minako, Ami, and Rei, then slanged up a Jupiter moon that sounded like a girl's name. Darien is just the English version of Memoru, I'm shocked they didn't name him Matthew or something, but I'm guessing they tried to find an American slang name for Endymion and got Darien because they sound similar.

Cloverway looked for names that still fit the characters. 3nodding I'd still prefer that Trista's name had remained Setsuna, or at least been kana'd into something similar... but 2/4 properly translated names isn't too bad for a dub company.

I still wish Pioneer had gotten Sailor Moon from the beginning, it would have beenmuch better. All the names would stay the same and they'd have acknowledged from the start that it's in Japan. sweatdrop  

Syndrama

Prof. Moonie

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:03 pm
Took a lot of time to do all of that I'm sure. Although, I must admit that I tend to do that myself with my own characters names and my nicknames. Especially my nicknames, since they tend to have various meanings in various languages (and they all fit me, hehe).  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:14 pm
Meh, I was more or less looking into the meaning of their names.

Most of it is just my opinion on why they were named so.

I know why Mamoru's name was Darien Shields. (not to mention Darien sounds better then Matthew...).

No the Japan says things differently then we do... From what i hear when I watch the sub it sounds like 'Ah-mah' then Ah-mee. But that must be my ears...

I wondered if Leda was one...of the ones I should've had...

I heard a different rumor that her name was gonna be Tara or Helena.

Minako's name does mean that. In our English Langauge it means nearly the same thing as the name Aiko (which translates to Love Child).

I knew it had to be something....Michi..and Michelle...

I like Trista for Setsuna. Espeically the meaning of it. It's a very good name for her.

I still think that they were a little smarter in naming Mamoru Darien Shields....

*shrugs* I just thought it was interesting to see what the English names meant. We see the Japanese meanigns a thousand times and then some....but I thought' what about the English ones...?'  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Syndrama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:29 pm
I know the Japanese say things differently, but an i to them is always the sound of a long ee, so mi=mee. It's just that the characters say Ami fast and usually tack -chan on, so it makes the i sound weird. 3nodding But trust me, the letter i always sounds like a long e, and e always sounds like eh or ay.

I think there were like 10 rumors running around about what they were gonna name poor Hotaru... Christine was even among them.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:55 pm
*shudders* Christine....evil name... gonk  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Tanith_4486

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:50 am
I almost died when they said...( once, many years ago,) that Hotaru would be renamed Hallie... I mean it is not a bad name, but It just feels and looks odd/wrong...  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:53 am
If they had to rename her I hope it's Tara. I mean... At least it would sound better.  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Mercuryangel
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:11 pm
Wow....you took your time with this...it paid off...that's neat.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:57 pm
okay... now you've caught my attention in a way that you've now driven me to confusion. yet I have a strong feeling I know what it all is supposed to mean... and now I'm going to ponder while regretting not having purchased that cute chibi-Sailor Jupiter clock from that collectables shop when it was only $10... *sniffle*  

RAPTOR948

Tanith_4486

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:56 am
the japanese names have meanings too...
Usagi tsukino means rabbit of the moon
Ami Mizuno is friend of water
Rei hino is spirit of fire
kino makoto is sincerity of wood
chiba mammoru is protector of earth
chibi is small
setsuna meioh is momentary dark king
michiru kaioh is ... sea king. I don't really know what michiru means. I will have to check my japanese dictionary
haruka= I have no idea and tenou is sky king
hotaru tomoe is either firefly of earth or firefly of death
I saw this in a website, so forgive me if the translations are incorrect  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:30 am
I know that. @_@;; I'm a walking library with the names.

I'm guessing King refers to their Mythological counter parts who are all male....

Then again... *shrugs.*

But yesh, I know what their names mean.

Hotaru's name is Firefly of Earth <- refers to the god of Saturn which is really a god of agriculture. (hence she's the senshi of Death and Rebirth because plants die and the seeds that they leave behind and then they grow up and yeah..)

Oddly enough... Tomoe means huge comma design....>>;; (but that's probably in a different dialect....)  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Tanith_4486

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:47 pm
I think that the one with the best name in both dub and non-dub would be usagi. I love the name bunny and serena...

but stiill, I must say one thing. Is it so hard to use just one name... in the manga?
okay, back to topic.

Yeah, the character's names have meanings.
Oh and did you all notice that the names of their enemies are mostly minerals, except for a few?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:37 am
Of course I did.

Most if not all of their emenies are named after minerals or the mineral nicknames. I loathe the dubbed nicknames- except for Malacite because that's nother name for Kunzite.

I'm pissed about Jadeite being J-e-dite. and Nepherite being Nephlyte.

WTF man.

But yes... the ones with the more mythological names- like the Amazoness Quartet- would more then likely turn into good guys. *points* the pattern for that is more then apparent.  

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Tanith_4486

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:44 am
* points to your above post*... right. I agree. Jadeite=Jedite?o.0 that is sooo wrong and that goes the same for the rest... especially when in the anime....  
Home

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff