Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply Serious discussion & Rants
Therianthropy Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:18 pm
So I'm going out on a limb here in posting this thread. I've been chastised too many times before for this but I like to try and maintain hope that there are people out there who might be more open minded than the general populous.

I know this is a furry guild but I'm curious to see how many people here know about therianthropy (or possibly even are therian themselves).

For those who don't know, the generally accepted term for Therianthropy is a person who identifies themselves as a non-human animal, generally in a spiritual or psychological way. Please don't confuse this with simply having a fursona. Theranthropes actually see themselves as the animal they identify with, just trapped in a human body.

This differs from furry fandom in that a therian doesn't choose their animal self and a therian will experience "shifts" be they mental, phantom, dream or astral (if you believe in such things). Some actually believe they can undergo physical shifting but most of the therian community dismiss these as wild fantasies.

So now I'm curious to get everyone here's feedback.
Just to say though, please refrain from blatantly offensive statements like, "ah yes, the furs that forget to take their anti-psychotics." or "You can stop pretending to be animals. You're humans". -_-  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:48 pm
Some peoples fantasies can feel pretty real to themselves. However this does not mean they are a wild animal trapped in a persons body.  

00Shoe
Captain

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:45 pm
That idea of therianthropy definitely does come up. It's why a lot of people who view it as something more/purely psychological have such a harder time accepting it than people who view it spiritually.

What I find reoccurring thing that I think defines therianthropy for most is that the feeling goes beyond fantasy (and for some people with the more unusual types (lke insects, sloths, and rodents) isn't a fantasy at all). I've done oodles of reading on the subject and one recurring things is that the feeling's people have go beyond psychological. There really is no good way to describe a feeling. It's like trying to describe true love. You just can't do it. The best way to describe it is that you know it's there and it's real.....I sound like a loony. -_-  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:36 pm
Everyones brain is wired somewhat differently. So even if you were to put it in the most eloquent words possibly, I am sure those who do not experience things the same way would still not understand.

However, that doesn't mean don't try to explain it further. Always interesting to broaden ones horizons!  

00Shoe
Captain

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:48 pm
True true. Sadly a lot of therians have been pretty badly scarred by society for speaking out. And it doesn't help that it's also a spiritual thing, so by simply stating the basics one can sound rather loony. XP

Admit it, you can't exactly take someone seriously when they tell you that their soul isn't human, or they were an animal in a past life.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:44 pm
Zuri-kai
So I'm going out on a limb here in posting this thread. I've been chastised too many times before for this but I like to try and maintain hope that there are people out there who might be more open minded than the general populous.

I know this is a furry guild but I'm curious to see how many people here know about therianthropy (or possibly even are therian themselves).

For those who don't know, the generally accepted term for Therianthropy is a person who identifies themselves as a non-human animal, generally in a spiritual or psychological way. Please don't confuse this with simply having a fursona. Theranthropes actually see themselves as the animal they identify with, just trapped in a human body.

This differs from furry fandom in that a therian doesn't choose their animal self and a therian will experience "shifts" be they mental, phantom, dream or astral (if you believe in such things). Some actually believe they can undergo physical shifting but most of the therian community dismiss these as wild fantasies.

Just to say though, please refrain from blatantly offensive statements like, "ah yes, the furs that forget to take their anti-psychotics." or "You can stop pretending to be animals. You're humans". -_-

Umm who to say this well time to be blunt again. i agree with what your saying in fact i am what you speak of though i realy do have canine dna (Just do not thinnk to much on how that happened not one of my familys better moments.) in fact at the age of 12 i could hear dog whistles still can over ten years later.  

Neko Queen Nala

Partying Friend

7,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Befriended 100
  • Partygoer 500

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:55 pm
Neko Queen Nala
Zuri-kai

Umm who to say this well time to be blunt again. i agree with what your saying in fact i am what you speak of though i realy do have canine dna (Just do not thinnk to much on how that happened not one of my familys better moments.) in fact at the age of 12 i could hear dog whistles still can over ten years later.

Really? I'm almost surprised there are any others in this guild (at least others brave enough to say something). It's nice to see another canine. Would you be okay if I asked you more about your experiences with therianthropy?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:04 pm
Zuri-kai
Neko Queen Nala
Zuri-kai

Really? I'm almost surprised there are any others in this guild (at least others brave enough to say something). It's nice to see another canine. Would you be okay if I asked you more about your experiences with therianthropy?

Feel free though best to take it to pms just to be safe.  

Neko Queen Nala

Partying Friend

7,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Befriended 100
  • Partygoer 500

EvilRoads

Shy Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:19 pm
I think it's a pretty cool thing, I believe in past souls, and as more animals are killed more humans are born with there souls ^-^  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 am
Honestly i do believe i have some DNA from a cat in a way, 'cus not matter how i fall (except if i faill with my back to the ground xD) i allways land on my hands and feet.  

xXFluffy DemonXx

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:19 am
A lot of therians share the past souls philosophy. I'm not one of them but I respect that belief. :3

And how do you mean by having cat DNA, Fluffy? Do you mean in a physical way, because I always tell young therians how you behave and what you can do has no factor in whether or not you're therian. It's all about how you feel deep down in your soul.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:01 am
xXFluffy DemonXx
Honestly i do believe i have some DNA from a cat in a way, 'cus not matter how i fall (except if i faill with my back to the ground xD) i allways land on my hands and feet.

Humans can always land on there feet it is just a smiple matter of how they fall. I had a human friend she did the same thing. No matter how many times i tryed to knock her off her feet she ended up back on them. Besides like Zuri said just because you can do a few things a cat can do does not mean your a therian. It is how you feel in your very heart spirit and soul. If you try to understand it fully then i do not think you could be. I found being a therian to be like breathing without it you can not live.  

Neko Queen Nala

Partying Friend

7,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Befriended 100
  • Partygoer 500

SC Rammstein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:05 am
I personally feel that I have a spiritual connection with the Gray Wolf, but no farther then it is more or less my 'patron'. I still consider myself Therian, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:56 pm
RammingStone
I personally feel that I have a spiritual connection with the Gray Wolf, but no farther then it is more or less my 'patron'. I still consider myself Therian, though.

Can you elaborate on that a bit more? What do you mean by "patron"?  

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

SC Rammstein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:07 pm
Patron as in, it's what I feel that I truly am inside. In other terms, the personality of the wolf is my own. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.  
Serious discussion & Rants

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff