Submit

Mahikokatoru

Invisible Rogue

12,725 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:09 am
It is unknown where the Hmong originated from. Some say that the Hmong are from Mongolia, because the Hmong raise a special species of horses that originated from Mongolia. Others say that the Hmong are from Israel, because the Hmong have creation stories like the Israelite does: flood story & sun/moon creation story. [Edit: And that there were Hmong with blonde hair and blue eyes (Albino).]

However, I believe that the Hmong are from China. Why? Well, about 5000 years ago, China had three kings: the Manchurian king Yandi, the Chinese(Han) king Huangdi, and the Miao(Hmong) king Chiyou (txiv yawg). [The Hmong have a history as old as the Chinese. Isn't that awesome?!] They ruled the Three Kingdoms of China. Yandi and Huangdi combined forces to defeat Chiyou and they enslaved Chiyou's people. [Edit: the following is more legend. If you want a historical answer, then read below.]Chiyou's three sons split up the Miao into three main groups. One son took his group to northern China, another son took his group to western China (Guizhou), and the third son took his group southeast to the Laos and Vietnam area. [Edit: After Chiyou's death, his people split up into three groups. Those three groups were called the San Miao. It wasn't documented that if those three San Miao group leaders were Chiyou's sons or not.]

[Edit Continue: After Chiyou's death, the Chinese tried to control the Hmong with false word that their king was still alive. Chiyou's kingdom had 9 major Miao tribes and one of those tribes is the Hmong. After Huangdi and Yandi united China with the coming of the Xia Dynasty, the Hmong traveled South (to Laos/Vietnam area).

Explains why the Hmong in SE Asia and in the West (USA), why we call the Chinese "Suab." Because our ancestors fought against the Chinese during the Xia dynasty. Another Miao group fought against the Chinese during the Zhou dynasty, so they call the Chinese after that dynasty. However, the Chinese call themselves "Zhong Guo Ren" (people of the middle kingdom).

Yeah. It gets really complicated. The three sons are from a story I heard, not sure if he had three sons or not, but the important thing is that, after Chiyou's death, the Miao(Hmong) split up.

There are a lot of political spat on what is the Hmong identity. If we are considered Miao or Hmong or both. A lot of confusion. Yup.]

Yup! Feel free to debate, chat, discuss, agree, disagree, and all that good stuff. 3nodding

Edited on 09-14-2011
Edited on 09-19-2011  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:59 am
well in the book of ' A History of the Hmong '
they were Indochinese refugee from 1975 to 1980. and i dunno.. (needs to read more*  

Lieutenant Lynnette

Feline Kitten

Mahikokatoru

Invisible Rogue

12,725 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:03 pm
Cris Zakura Zenkato
they were Indochinese refugee from 1975 to 1980. and i dunno.. (needs to read more*

Who's that book by?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:05 pm
maiden_of_thy_earth
Cris Zakura Zenkato

Who's that book by?

Thomas S. Vang  

Lieutenant Lynnette

Feline Kitten

azn_knight367
Captain

Lonely Explorer

8,125 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:09 am
I've heard about the theory of Hmong people originating from Israel, apparently we have similar customs to the Israelites. I've also heard the one about Hmong people coming from Mongolia/Russia(North of China) and that Hmong people used to have blonde hair and blue eyes but intermarried with the Chinese I guess which is why we have black hair and brown eyes now, except for some. Another theory I've heard is that Hmong people were enslaved by the Chinese which would explain why a lot of Hmong last names are similar to Chinese last names. Someone else also shared somewhere in this guild that Hmong people used to actually live in the area of modern China until the Chinese came and pushed us out.

But your explanation of the three kings is a bit new to me and seems plausible. Where did you hear about this?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
That's Amazing.... That makes me wanna know more now. 3nodding  

Swat Team Leader

Lonely Lover

9,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:06 pm
other book I think about reading is Joy luck club it talks about the daughter and mother story how they were affected by life.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:21 pm
azn_knight367
I've heard about the theory of Hmong people originating from Israel, apparently we have similar customs to the Israelites. I've also heard the one about Hmong people coming from Mongolia/Russia(North of China) and that Hmong people used to have blonde hair and blue eyes but intermarried with the Chinese I guess which is why we have black hair and brown eyes now, except for some. Another theory I've heard is that Hmong people were enslaved by the Chinese which would explain why a lot of Hmong last names are similar to Chinese last names. Someone else also shared somewhere in this guild that Hmong people used to actually live in the area of modern China until the Chinese came and pushed us out.

But your explanation of the three kings is a bit new to me and seems plausible. Where did you hear about this?

I'm currently taking a Hmong History class at my university. So, I'm learning about it in class. Just sharing what I learned.

Yes, for those who are wondering, my professor is Hmong.  

Mahikokatoru

Invisible Rogue

12,725 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:31 pm
Thanks for the info it look very interesting.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:32 pm
Kawaii Yami Rorita
Thanks for the info it look very interesting.

emotion_yatta  

Mahikokatoru

Invisible Rogue

12,725 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Swat Team Leader

Lonely Lover

9,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:02 am
Nice Edit!! biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:14 pm
I have to say well done thought  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

CrimsonsDecayingRose
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:08 am
maiden_of_thy_earth
azn_knight367

I'm currently taking a Hmong History class at my university. So, I'm learning about it in class. Just sharing what I learned.

Wow!! i've heard of Univ extracurricular groups for Hmong, but not an actual class about them. May i ask what university you attend?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:20 pm
CrimsonsDecayingRose
maiden_of_thy_earth
azn_knight367

Wow!! i've heard of Univ extracurricular groups for Hmong, but not an actual class about them. May i ask what university you attend?

Concordia U St.Paul. Come visit! 3nodding  

Mahikokatoru

Invisible Rogue

12,725 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:20 pm
sound like it interesting but fun. But it looks like far away? May we ask where it located?  
Nyob zoo! Hmong People Unite! Have fun! ^_^

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff