Welcome to Gaia! ::

STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND (why aren't we cannibals.)

Back to Guilds

Reply General Discussion
MUSIC?! omgwtfbbq chicken Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you hear lyrics or melody first?
  Lyrics
  Melody
  Both
View Results

cariboo
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:08 pm

What are your favourite bands or genres and why?
(Talk about anything music-related.)

Random

Take the Music Nerd Test biggrin

(I scored 53.1401% - Super Music Nerd)

Song Downloads

Stream Music

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:14 pm
I don't really have a particular favorite genre. I mostly like what sounds good to me. I tend to like a lot of independent artists, like the Arcade Fire and stuff. I don't really like anything that has a normal and boring sound, regardless of how great the lyrics are supposed to be. Originality is key.

The strangest and most specific genre I'm into is Foreign Girly Euro-Pop. The most widely-acclaimed artists of this genre are Nena (the 99 Red Balloons one) and Tatu (those Russians everyone thought were lesbian).

I started taking that music nerd test, but then I realized how long it was. I'll have to take it sometime when I'm not preoccupied.  

Dobbs
Captain

Jessie Sparrow

Chatty Nerd

6,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nerd 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:02 pm
I usually listen to country music. (I know you're all gasping now. I have a reason.)

That's because it's almost literally in my genes to listen to that. I grew up listening solely to country, as did my mom, my nanny, my grandmother, and I'm making an educated guess that my great-grandmother did too. I do like other music (mostly just old pop songs from 1995-9 cool but overall I prefer country.

yes, flame me all you want, but I'm a country fan and proud of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:14 pm
well, Im kinda stuck between country 101/101.9 (its a this-century country station) and 'Great Big Sea.  

Gemini-san
Crew

Jessie Sparrow

Chatty Nerd

6,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nerd 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:02 pm
liar57
well, Im kinda stuck between country 101/101.9 (its a this-century country station) and 'Great Big Sea.

well... seeing as we are sisters STOP READING OVER MY SHOULDER RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I SAID SO. GO AWAY AND STOP READING WHAT I'M WRITING RIGHT NOW!!!
stupid sisters....
anyways...
seeing as we're sisters, Liar57, the fact that you listen to country music is obvious. Why, you ask? oh, I don't know... maybe because WE LIVE IN THE SAME DAMN HOUSE!

I'm sad to say that I'm starting to think that you're a noob, Liar.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:08 pm
Aww, schwestern fighting.

Eww, a terrible language pun.  

Dobbs
Captain

Jessie Sparrow

Chatty Nerd

6,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nerd 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:27 pm
Dobbs

stare @ Dobbs.

Just because you're the all-mighty guild ruler doesn't mean I can't hurt you... stare  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:17 pm
Dobbs

You tried. neutral

I'm listening to a lot of indie rock lately.

cariboo
Vice Captain

Dobbs
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:21 am
You know, German for sister? Western? Feh...

Any bands in particular, psychoradio? I like a lot of indie music myself. Not particularly because it's indie, but because the artists generally make music in their own free time, just because they want to.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:48 pm
Dobbs

Any bands in particular, psychoradio? I like a lot of indie music myself. Not particularly because it's indie, but because the artists generally make music in their own free time, just because they want to.

I like the Weakerthans, Limblifter, Goldspot, and Nada Surf. There's more but I won't bother listing them all. Basically, I desperately needed new music. ...Venturing into the obscure pirate , I found all these insanely amazing songs.

surprised And there are no votes for lyrics on the poll. Interesting.

cariboo
Vice Captain

Dobbs
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:38 pm
And I've never heard of any of them before. Yesssss.

I acquired some Limblifter on a whim, found it to be pretty addictive. I generally like different-sounding stuff more, but some good pure rock can be pretty good too. The song I listend to vaguely reminds me of Queens of the Stonage, only less...gritty.

As far as indie music goes, I pretty much only know of the more popular bands. The Arcade Fire, NMH, Soufyahn, others. Then there are the even less rock-oriented bands, like Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and the icelandic Victory Rose. From there it's off to the land of trip hop, with Thievery Corporation, Portishead, Zero 7, and my personal favorite, Tortoise. Mmhmm.

I expect a full report on all of these bands by Monday.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:22 pm
Different's always good. The Sound of Animals Fighting is one of my favourite experimental bands. Which LL song did you hear?

I love how The Arcade Fire use an orchestra in their music. I never really got into NMH. Mogwai and Godspeed You! Black Emperor I've been meaning to check out. Trip hop is ...eh.

cariboo
Vice Captain

Dobbs
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:56 pm
psychoradio
Different's always good. The Sound of Animals Fighting is one of my favourite experimental bands. Which LL song did you hear?

I love how The Arcade Fire use an orchestra in their music. I never really got into NMH. Mogwai and Godspeed You! Black Emperor I've been meaning to check out. Trip hop is ...eh.
Tinfoil, then Jumbo Jet Headache a couple of days later. Both were pretty good, but the former seems to be more of my style.

A lot of what I call trip hop would probably fit better into the post-rock category, along with Mogwai and friends, or some other category that I don't know about. I elaborated on post-rock a lot more in my previous post, but I'm sure you get the idea, and it probably sounded condescending anyway.

Soufyahn = Sufjan Stevens, who is probably one of the more popular independent artists out there.

I had grouped the Sound of Animals Fighting as another screaming band a while ago, but I'll give them another listen.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:06 pm
I just like rock. White Stripes: Seven Nation Army is pretty addicting.  

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas