So, I'm sure you've heard about Toonami. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:18 pm
I know you guys are pretty much all sentimental about that sort of thing, and I haven't seen anyone really talk about this yet. Perhaps it's that weird sort of situation where we all know about something, but we keep not bringing it up because we know someone will say "OLD NEWS!" We know because we would not hesitate to say so ourselves. Then I remembered I didn't care.

So... Toonami!

It's basically, at launch, going to be an almost-no-budget programming block, that will mostly be showing crappy shows that CN happens to have the rights to currently. The people over at Adult Swim, who are running this have said that the only way for them to get any money for things like new TOM animations, which they cannot currently afford. They'll be reusing the old 2005 absolution and animations, supposedly, which is okay, I guess, considering that's probably before Toonami "went to the shitter."

So, here's the schedule for this coming Saturday.
12.00am Bleach
12.30am Deadman Wonderland
1.00am Casshern Sins
1.30am FMA: Brotherhood
2.00am Ghost in the Shell: SAC
2.30am Cowboy Bebop

"Deadman Wonderland" and "Casshern Sins" are both newly acquired. I know nothing abotu them.

It's a shame, really, that they put their best (Most nostalgic for me) shows on last... Probably in reverse order of my interest in watching them. (I like ghost in the shell. I love Cowboy Bebop.)

How do we all feel about this? There's potential, but I wish they could have gotten an earlier time slot. I don't think the network execs really take this seriously.  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:58 pm
We got rid of cable a while back, so I can't tune in for it. Good for everyone else, though!

Overall, the lineup isn't bad. Everything but Deadman and Casshern has aired on TV before and been pretty popular. I've never watched Casshern (apparently FUNi has it all up online, so I should fix this), and while Deadman isn't really my thing I could definitely see it doing well on TV.

I need to re-watch Bebop. I bought the DVDs about a year ago, but I haven't gotten a chance to actually watch them yet. cat_gonk

[Kegan]
How do we all feel about this? There's potential, but I wish they could have gotten an earlier time slot. I don't think the network execs really take this seriously.

It's pretty easy to tweet #bringbackToonami, but there's no guarantee that the people clamoring for it will actually watch it. I'd guess that it's coming back as part of Adult Swim as a test and that it might get moved if it does well.  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 pm
Canadian. Don't have Cartoon Network here. When I was a lad it was all about The Zone cool

Although on the off chance I actually turned on the television, I saw ads on Teletoon saying Cartoon Network was coming to Canada. Mordecai was in it... I got a little excited.

I hear this Toonami guy is pretty cool, though. Might have a look-see if we get it here.

I know Wayne is all about dat Casshern guy  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:59 am
Hopefully if we do see new animations, it's not this.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

ecopper12

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:59 am
Nomega
Hopefully if we do see new animations, it's not this.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

YEAH! What was with that anyway? Was that even still Tom?  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:06 am
Ironically that guy's body proportions were sorta a throwback to the original TOM. I imagine they went back to TOM 3.0 for a reason.

Casshern does actually sound kinda neat. I liked the Kikaider reboot back in the day.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:26 am
heh i remember when tom died and it spawned a game you could play online.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:59 pm
@ Z.Kitty The Lack of popularity for my Tumblr hasn't really lead me to believe a twitter would be very popular, and therefor worthwhile. I don't know if I'd make one just for this.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:58 pm
I remember the Moltar years. When they got rid of him and introduced Tom, I vomited. I hate change.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:10 pm
Cowboy Beeboop.

My cable provider dropped cartoon network from it's standard package like a year before Toonami went off the air. I didn't even really miss it at that point. I have avague memory of "action cartoons" block on CN before 1999. I could have sword Dragon ball was on the air when I was younger than that.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:20 pm
I really hope they get the money to show some movies. I'd tune in for some Miyazaki, even if it would be totally weird to show that at night. I mean, there are a couple of studio ghibli films which would actually fit adult swim. Grave of the Fireflies comes to mind, but that's not really ACKSHUN CARTOONZ it's more like DEPRESSINGLY REALISTIC POST WAR NIPPONZ

They used to show the movie Escaflowne on adult swim. I recall liking that. There was a TV series before that even existed. It's quite old, though.

Samurai Jack is owned by Cartoon Network. That'd be popular if they started re-airing it, I think. I remember loving it. I'm sure it'd pull in more views tan garbage like "Johnny Test" Holy crow, they play that show too much.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:43 pm
The Eleventh AK

I know Wayne is all about dat Casshern guy

I got a little bit of a boner when I saw they were showing Sins. Maybe people will actually know who Casshern is now (including me).  

Waynebrizzle

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:39 pm
Unlikely. It's supposed to be a darker edgier version of the character, so it probably won't be the same as the guy from Tatsunoko Vs Capcom.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:03 pm
[Kegan]
Unlikely. It's supposed to be a darker edgier version of the character, so it probably won't be the same as the guy from Tatsunoko Vs Capcom.

I don't think it was ever a lighthearted series?  

Waynebrizzle

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:43 pm
[Kegan]
@ Z.Kitty The Lack of popularity for my Tumblr hasn't really lead me to believe a twitter would be very popular, and therefor worthwhile. I don't know if I'd make one just for this.

I didn't make one for it either. I just know that was one of the things Cartoon Network was encouraging as a way of gauging interest.  
Social Room

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff