Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Soap Making Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like soap?
  Nope.
  Yup.
  Gold!!
View Results

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:57 am
I just started soap making & wondered if anyone else here enjoys it.

If so, perhaps we could discuss it smile Which base do you prefer? Why? What sort of additives have you tried? What's worked best for you? What's turned out to be a total flop? What do you do when the soap gets stuck in the mold?

OR--well, anything soapish smile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:32 pm
I voted yes because I really do like soap.
It is so fantastic!

I have never made soap, but I do love home made soap. I used to buy home made aroma theropy soaps from ebay, but that was back in the day when I didn't have annoying things to spend my money on like rent.  

I be me
Vice Captain

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:28 am
I love the idea of making soaps, but it's also kinda intimidating. I don't use solid soaps, so I probably won't be able to try it unless there's a workshop someday. ^^;  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:14 pm
ScribblerChrislea
I love the idea of making soaps, but it's also kinda intimidating. I don't use solid soaps, so I probably won't be able to try it unless there's a workshop someday. ^^;
I rember making liquid soaps when I was younger
it is as simple as grating one table spoon of soap into a cup of boiled water. The soap gets obsorbed into the hot water then sets into jelly like stuff.
It actually works wich suprised me.
I am sure you could perfume/color/glitter that to make yourself some nice liquid soap.

(is slightly obsessed with glitter at the moment, the entire world looks better with glitter.)  

I be me
Vice Captain

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:16 pm
*giggles at the glitter obbsession* i've always kinda ment to use this soap-making kit we have....  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:40 am
Mikono
*giggles at the glitter obbsession* i've always kinda ment to use this soap-making kit we have....

Oh do! It's lots of fun.

And there are glitters you can add as well smile  

Bookwyrme

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:43 am
Bookwyrme
Mikono

Oh do! It's lots of fun.

I will eventually... when i'm not so sick and making a bunny and three or four scarves as well...

Glitter obsessions always make me giggle. i don't really know why, but they do.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:19 pm
Mikono
Bookwyrme
Mikono

Oh do! It's lots of fun.

I will eventually... when i'm not so sick and making a bunny and three or four scarves as well...

Glitter obsessions always make me giggle. i don't really know why, but they do.
It is because glitter is just fantastic. And glitter in your soap will make you glittery all day, who could ask for more.
*interesting side note, if you pour glitter in someones hair and rub it in it won't leave them for months*  

I be me
Vice Captain

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:11 pm
Get glitter anywhere and it stays for months.

I used to work at a preschool, and parents would try all sorts of tactics to get out of taking their children's glittery crafts home.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:15 am
I guess I could say I'm a bit of a soap expert xd

When I make soap, I actually make it from scratch. I use mostly Tallow, Olive, or coconut oil and mix it with Sodium Hydroxide.

Liquid soap is the same concept, except using Potassium Hydroxide. Liquid soap is a lot harder, but worth it.

If anyone wants some instruction on how to make soap from scratch, I've got about 3 years of experience under my belt 3nodding  

genioos

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:33 pm
genioos
I guess I could say I'm a bit of a soap expert xd

When I make soap, I actually make it from scratch. I use mostly Tallow, Olive, or coconut oil and mix it with Sodium Hydroxide.

Liquid soap is the same concept, except using Potassium Hydroxide. Liquid soap is a lot harder, but worth it.

If anyone wants some instruction on how to make soap from scratch, I've got about 3 years of experience under my belt 3nodding

Oh! Do tell!

And, do you have any good books or websites that will also help?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:38 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Erichte

Lisa in Wonderland

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:08 pm
I used to make soap A LOT. I would use candy molds to make them so they were too pretty to use.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:26 pm
I want to try making soap. I was going to buy the materials to do it when I was home over spring break to give me something to do... but I decided I was too cheap to spend the money.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:55 pm
DecemberFlower
I want to try making soap. I was going to buy the materials to do it when I was home over spring break to give me something to do... but I decided I was too cheap to spend the money.

Yeah, launching into a new hobby is expensive!  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff