Submit

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:21 am
Wasn't quite sure what was going on so I decided to take video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcz5CrTVDfE

It looks like the comet is trying to mate with Fluffy o.O Is he?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:52 pm
Kithy Kitty
Wasn't quite sure what was going on so I decided to take video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcz5CrTVDfE

It looks like the comet is trying to mate with Fluffy o.O Is he?
I dont think theyre trying to mate, it looks like hes bullying it. Its kind a bad combo, fan tails, and the straight tails, arent a good mix, the fan tails are too slow, and clunky, they cant compete for food as well, or escape, things like that....  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Akari_32

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:34 am
He's being a jerk. Are they still in the 10 gallon? Single tail goldfish really don't take well to being cooped up, as you are now seeing.

As a side note, mating behavior involves the male sticking his face up the females butt and pushing her around, and rubbing up and down her sides.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:49 pm
Yeah they're still in the 10 gallon. This doesn't happen very often which is why I was curious. Most of the time they get along pretty well.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:15 pm
Ugh so my 2 year old decided he wanted to help by dumping almost the entire canister of fish food into the tank <___<

Upon fixing that issue I've decided I hate having the gravel now because it holds onto all the waste and dust that gets into the tank so when anything disrupts the gravel my tank becomes a flipping mess of dust, waste and other stuff floating in my tank.

<_< Any tips on removing the gravel? What can I get to hold my live plant down?

I'm attached to having some kind of substrate though but the gravel just ugh. When I pour the new water in during a water change everything gets disrupted and heaven forbid I move a decoration.

Is there a better alternative? I hear good and bad things about sand.

Also, it seems Pet Supplies Plus is having a $1 a gallon sale in my area :X Gonna pick up a 30 gal soon but won't be able to use it since I've no stand and those are spendy. Half tempted to buy long screws and tons of lumbar and do it that way <-< make my own stand ftw razz  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:02 am
Kithy Kitty
Ugh so my 2 year old decided he wanted to help by dumping almost the entire canister of fish food into the tank <___<

Awww lol Those fish were happy for a few minutes, weren't they? rofl

Kithy Kitty
Upon fixing that issue I've decided I hate having the gravel now because it holds onto all the waste and dust that gets into the tank so when anything disrupts the gravel my tank becomes a flipping mess of dust, waste and other stuff floating in my tank.

<_< Any tips on removing the gravel? What can I get to hold my live plant down?

You can remove the fish and then just use a net and scoop the gravel out. Thats what I always do lol For your plants, use glass containers or Terra Cotta pots (No paint!) filled with gravel and stick in a root tab for them 3nodding

Kithy Kitty
I'm attached to having some kind of substrate though but the gravel just ugh. When I pour the new water in during a water change everything gets disrupted and heaven forbid I move a decoration.

Is there a better alternative? I hear good and bad things about sand.

With goldfish in such a small tank, I think sand is more trouble than its worth. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE sand, and i'm working to getting all my tanks over to it, but goldfish love to root around, and you'll have ruined filters in no time. You could try a couple large smooth rocks, or buy a finely crushed gravel and do a light layer of that over the bottom.

Kithy Kitty
Also, it seems Pet Supplies Plus is having a $1 a gallon sale in my area :X Gonna pick up a 30 gal soon but won't be able to use it since I've no stand and those are spendy. Half tempted to buy long screws and tons of lumbar and do it that way <-< make my own stand ftw razz

Go for it! If you don't mind so much, the tank can sit on the floor for a while. Its not very pleasing to the eye, but it works lol I keep my quarantine tanks on the floor. The only problem I have with the small 10 gallons on the floor is when it comes to water changes, they are too close to the ground to really got much done, but a 29 or 30 gallon is tall enough to not have any problems with. 3nodding  

Akari_32

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:41 pm
You are an angel :3 You really are!

I'm in the process of uh, bribing my husband to trade his TV stand to me and getting a different one for his huge TV. It can support the 20 or 30 gallon I'm looking to get soon. Gotta get up there and get that membership first!

Thankfully the fishies are doing good although they were pretty mad at me taking all the noms away sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:00 pm
Kithy Kitty

I'm in the process of uh, bribing my husband to trade his TV stand to me and getting a different one for his huge TV. It can support the 20 or 30 gallon I'm looking to get soon. Gotta get up there and get that membership first!

Thankfully the fishies are doing good although they were pretty mad at me taking all the noms away sweatdrop

Awwww well you're welcome smile

Hahahahaha, hope that goes well! Tell him he'll get something extra special lol  

Akari_32

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:16 pm
Akari_32
Kithy Kitty

Took the gravel out and omg so much stuff floating in my tank now ;; I understand now why it was a great idea to take my fishies out. They're pretty mad about being in a bowl but I'll give them a pea to make them feel better :3  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:16 am
Kithy Kitty
Akari_32
Kithy Kitty

Took the gravel out and omg so much stuff floating in my tank now ;; I understand now why it was a great idea to take my fishies out. They're pretty mad about being in a bowl but I'll give them a pea to make them feel better :3

Yeah, its gets pretty gross doesn't it? lol Just do a water change and get as much of the floaty stuff out as you can then fill the tank back up and a let the filter do the rest.  

Akari_32

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:28 pm
Akari_32
Kithy Kitty
Akari_32
Kithy Kitty

Yeah, its gets pretty gross doesn't it? lol Just do a water change and get as much of the floaty stuff out as you can then fill the tank back up and a let the filter do the rest.

I'm really glad I ended up keeping my old filter when I bought a new one. Having the two of them running helps it clear up so much faster ^_^ Had to uh, modify my cover to make it fit (mwahahaha bandsaw) but all's well biggrin

Might have to put the new tank off yet again though :< Poor fishies, I feel so bad but I can't so much that's outside my limit /sigh  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:58 pm
PetCo is having their $1 per gallon sale. You should take that up! Won't last long. If you can't do that right now, you can head over to WalMart and pick up a 20-30 gallon storage tub and run it with all the filters you have and any decor you have in the tank. That way they can have some room and you're only out 15 or bucks. But, for 15 more, you could have your 30 gallon tank (but only the tank). THEN, for potentially the same price, or a teeny bit more, you could get the whole kit and kabootle, tank (may even be bigger than you originally wanted wink ), hood, filter, heater, decor, gravel and stand, depending on how lucky you are, through Craigslist. This takes a lot of patients, time and effort, but IMO, is well worth it.  

Akari_32

Miles To Go

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 pm
I had 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon and I have to ask, how do you keep it so clean?!

No matter what I'd do, the water would be black in 3 days. >_> Piggies.

Really beautiful by the way. ^^ Upgrading my tanks for my goldfish is what made me get so into fish a couple years back. After slowly working up to a 55 gallon, I downsized back to 15, and now 10 again. It just got to be too much work after a certain point. Beta ftw. @_@

Petco's does that $1 sale allll the time. xd if it's not on sale now, wait a bit and it will be. The only problem is, it only applies to certain tanks, which they told me AFTER I spent an hour deciding which to get. >_<  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:17 am
Miles To Go
I had 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon and I have to ask, how do you keep it so clean?!

Really beautiful by the way. ^^ Upgrading my tanks for my goldfish is what made me get so into fish a couple years back. After slowly working up to a 55 gallon, I downsized back to 15, and now 10 again. It just got to be too much work after a certain point. Beta ftw. @_@

Petco's does that $1 sale allll the time. xd if it's not on sale now, wait a bit and it will be. The only problem is, it only applies to certain tanks, which they told me AFTER I spent an hour deciding which to get. >_<

The sale applies to all tanks 10 to 55 gallons wink  

Akari_32

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:14 pm
Miles To Go

Black o.o Oh dear! I had some problems with brown algae for a while on my plant and decor but once the ammonia went down it got so much better. The only way I can keep up with everything is running two 20gallon filters in my 10 gallon tank x_X  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff