Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gold Diggers and Pollwhores Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild where you can do polls, polls, and more polls. Whist making friends and competing in numerous free competitions 

Tags: polls, gold, anime, active, friends 

Reply Gold Diggers and Pollwhores
Dont you love fire season? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you in a area prone to fire?
  yep
  nope
  not sure
View Results

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:51 am
Awful lot of fires breaking out atm. (so many of them caused by stupidity), but atm everything is starting to get so dry that really even incidental sparks could cause it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKjSqVnShR0

Not a exciting video, but it is a fairly large fire that broke out less than a 10 min drive away a couple days ago.

The local fire station (all volenteer run) seems to be getting called out at least a couple times a day atm (though they do cover crashes and what not, and help all the other local stations)  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:02 pm
Our fire season isn't for another five months, but then, I'm not sure Salt Lake City really gets a fire season. That's more west of here in California. But yeah, seeing the sky dark with smoke is always sign that nature is doing what it's supposed to.  

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:07 pm
GoldDiggingWhore
Our fire season isn't for another five months, but then, I'm not sure Salt Lake City really gets a fire season. That's more west of here in California. But yeah, seeing the sky dark with smoke is always sign that nature is doing what it's supposed to.

Did salt lake have plants? Seemed pretty baren?

But yeah fire is definitly a natural catalyst of certain seeding processes in some species.

A good example is a super super super rare orchad that was up in a area near one of our unis field station

(As in rare enough that the numbers known were like under 100).

Anyways, one of the proffs had the idea that natural fire suppression was causing the species demise, and seeked counsil/department of conservation approval to "burn" a certain ammount of the area these rare plants were in.

He had a fair bit of objections (since if it didnt work...). But he got the permission, and lucky after burning, they had the best seed generation after that, in any known recorded period.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:15 pm
Yeah, Utah is actually kinda deserty (from what they keep telling me...sure does snow a bunch though...).

I'm not sure if you'd told me that story before or not, but I still find it amusing. I take it there's more than 100 of them out there now?  

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

thedenomerator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:42 pm
Every season is fire season when you're around me.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:16 pm
thedenomerator

Pyro, much?

I wish I could set more things on fire... burning_eyes  

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

BlueCowGirl
Vice Captain

Questionable Millionaire

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:39 pm
thedenomerator

<3

in mo... we don't really worry about fires unless were in the worst drought in a hundred years... only time i remember us having a problem was when someone set the woods on fire  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:10 pm
I do love fire, but I wouldnt mess with it outside atm.

@Gold, dunno if I did. But yeah now they are being managed better for thier needs thier numbers are coming up.  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:26 pm
Aus is having a pretty serious fire season as well. About a fortnight ago there were two big fires northeast and southwest of my area, the northeast one was so strong and so smoky it filled the streets with visible smoke. Plus I've been hearing the far south has been having dreadful fires this year.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:06 pm
ShadowedMoonlight
Aus is having a pretty serious fire season as well. About a fortnight ago there were two big fires northeast and southwest of my area, the northeast one was so strong and so smoky it filled the streets with visible smoke. Plus I've been hearing the far south has been having dreadful fires this year.
POOOOOOPPPPPPPPPEEETTTTT!

Sorry to hear about your fires (and Sages!)

We don't really get fires here. We've had two like 100 year floods in the past 6-7 years though. Take some of that water plox.

Ginhi~kun
Vice Captain

Fashionable Autobiographer

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:26 pm
Ginhi~kun
ShadowedMoonlight
POOOOOOPPPPPPPPPEEETTTTT!

Sorry to hear about your fires (and Sages!)

We don't really get fires here. We've had two like 100 year floods in the past 6-7 years though. Take some of that water plox.
No more water!
We have floods when we aren't having fires, it's how it works. Typically November-January is fire season, Febuary-March is flood season. Flood season started early this year. We've had a pretty major weather system moving down over the coast the last two days, my town hasn't even had the worst of it and we've had over 155mm (around 6 inches) of rain since yesterday.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:05 pm
ShadowedMoonlight

No doubt about it, yours are much much worse. We sent many of our fire fighters there...until we were like....um...looks like prehaps we need to keep some.

We are lucky in the fact that we have quite a lot of water around. Even though the areas right next to the water is dry its not to far to water generally.

http://i45.tinypic.com/mb5mjp.png

Is a general map. There has been quite a few more fires around, but that one was one of the bigger ones. The aussie ones eat much much much larger areas of ground.  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:13 pm
ShadowedMoonlight

We have floods when we aren't having fires,

Ahh the joys of heavy soil impaction. The soil is so dry, that when its wet the water cant go anywhere.

We are lucky that our soil doesnt get baked like that so its still pretty absorbant.

Though since the quake certain areas on the coast are more prone to high tide flooding now

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5243109/Tide-floods-New-Brighton  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:36 am
Sagebomb
soil is so dry, that when its wet the water cant go anywhere.

Yup. It's a big problem. >-<  

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:38 am
Sagebomb
We sent many of our fire fighters there...until we were like....um...looks like prehaps we need to keep some.

I saw that on the news! A lot of people are really grateful.  
Gold Diggers and Pollwhores

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff