Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Christian 'Sightings.' -Are they real? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

could these sightings real?
  Yes
  No
  It's possible..
View Results

MinaTheRomanticNeko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:54 pm
I dont know if any of you have heard of these strange religious 'sightings', but a few of them have occured. I first thought about this when my VERY christian mother showed me a photograph that her friend took. He was outside of a nursing home, and saw a very, very, eerily realistic figure of the virgin mary in the window. I'm not talking about some pattern looking like an outline, I mean...very realistic. It looked like a detailed painting, but it was made up of very tiny water droplets...

I looked this kind of thing up online, and found out that there were a few more instances. Here are a couple pictures of these instances.

User Image
This is supposed to be a window with frost or something on it, depicting the virgin mary.
User Image
This statue is 'weeping'.

My topic of discussion:
Simply..what do you think about these instances?
Coincidence?
Conspirecy?
More?

If you have any articles, links, or pics relating to this subject, post 'em!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:43 am
I don't think these sightings have much behind them. In that first photo, without someone holding up a statue or saying "HOMG, it's the Virgin Mary!", I wouldn't have been able to tell what that was. Besides, reported sightings in clouds and such are simply coincidences. Hell, if I worshipped a cat and saw one in the sky, that'd be a religious experience, too, ne?  

Syrenka

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:59 am
Weeping statues....as far as that goes, many church leaders have been found guilty of faking those "Sightings" in order to up attendance to thier church.

Secondly...that picture...the thing on the window doesn't look anything concrete. That is the same as clouds. Ten people can look at a cloud in the sky, 4 might say it looks like a dragon, 1 might say it looks like a angel, and all the rest could come up with different things.

Many of those sightings are hoaxes intended to sway the uniformed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:46 pm
Well for christian sightings I think it is all Bulls*** and any other sightings as well. That reminds me of my all time favorite show Bulls*** here are some clips and some of them do with christian sightings. if you guys have cable you can watch the show on showtime

http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/topics_all.do

check out the fung shui, and the shorts. I love his response with the pope mrgreen

enjoy  

Lesilrok

iviary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:58 pm
Has anyone read "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett? In his book, they used the Weeping Madonna ploy back in the middle ages. =D  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:11 pm
Well, since in school we are studying world religions ( I porpusfully start laughing really hard when they mention some really b.s. christian thing) we watched this show that was like Myth Busters and they were trying to figure out if Noah's Ark was possible, and strangely enough there has been wood from about 5,000 years ago found high in the mountain that the Bible says that he ended up. I did second guess myself for a second but then I realized that if it were 5,000 years ago the structure of the world may have been much different and that there might be much more water so that could have been from anything.  

GEt CrUnK iTs BiLlY!

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:31 pm
OK, the only thing I see in that window is Fidel Castro's beard.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:44 pm
Thatisonesexypanda!
Well, since in school we are studying world religions ( I porpusfully start laughing really hard when they mention some really b.s. christian thing) we watched this show that was like Myth Busters and they were trying to figure out if Noah's Ark was possible, and strangely enough there has been wood from about 5,000 years ago found high in the mountain that the Bible says that he ended up. I did second guess myself for a second but then I realized that if it were 5,000 years ago the structure of the world may have been much different and that there might be much more water so that could have been from anything.

Even if there was a great flood that some fellow named Noah happened to survive with a bunch of animals, that wouldn't necessarily prove that a God exists. It would just prove that the Bible got something mostly historically accurate.  

iviary

Southwest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:32 pm
In the frosty window, I see more of a Che Guevera/Maddox/cloaked, hooded figure/Virgin Mary. It really is a coincidence-- just depends on what you want to see.

As for the weeping statues-- it could be, as Wikipedia says scientists suggest, condensation on microscopic cracks in the statue. Or a hoax. Certainly not indicative of anything in my book.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:01 pm
They're real physical occurrences, but other than that any significance they have is given by the viewer.
And if something could physically happen to make that statue appear to weep, then the same thing could happen to any similar statue. However, I doubt many people would attach significance to a weeping garden gnome.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:46 am
Probably not. The first picture looks doctored and I don't see the statue "weeping". sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:45 am
I think they're rigged by the churches.

By the way, I would like to announce that this is this guilds 7777th post. ******** YEAH!

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Pistil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:06 am
They're all equivalent to roshach tests (sp?), or ink blot tests.

No two people tend to see the same thing.

It's all on perception.

So of course a religious person may be swayed to see a religious figure.

That first pic I could see two people in the frost, neither looked like Mary.

And anyway, photoshop is very popular nowadays.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:11 pm
It's pssible, but alot of the time they actually believe they saw these things, because they so badly want to believe their god is real, when there is no factual evidence.  

Taylr752

TofuDreamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:55 pm
Meh, it's not as bad when your friends talk about demon attacks right next to you in Biology.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff