0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Finarfin
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Child of Finarfin (please specify)
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Maedhros/Maglor (see other options w/parentheses)
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Celegorm/Caranthir/Curufin
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Amrod/Amras
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

Ithilvalan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:21 pm
I was wondering who everybody's favorite son of Finwe/Feanor is?

My personal favorite is Fingolfin.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:26 pm
I also preffer Fingolfin. He is a great warrior and leader with exceptional courage. He is the Feanor without the mental unbalance and temper xd  

SYFFER

Lithwen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:19 pm
Well, I don't think anyone will be surprised that my favourite is Maedhros.
He had his faults obviously, but as I've said before, I admire his dedication to the oath, as stupid as the entire thing was. He also had great leadership skills, managed to restrain his brothers on a number of occasions, and was able to overcome adversity after his torment on Thangorodrim and learn to wield a sword with his left hand just as good as his right.

Besides, he had red hair ^.^  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:04 pm
Fingolfin. Or Galadriel. One of those two, though I'm not sure who. I'm also not entirely sure a poll was needed for this.

Lithwen
...I admire his dedication to the oath, as stupid as the entire thing was.

And that's where I stop reading your post. Why, you ask? Well, let's just switch a few words around, and that will become clear:

'I admire Adolf Hitler for his dedicaton to the Final Solution, as stupid as the entire thing was.'

There we go!  

Falathrim

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:05 pm
My most favourite is definately Fingolfin. And my brian decided it didn't want to work any more and shut down and I lost my reason. But Fingolfin is awesome and fought Morgoth. That's reason enough right?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:28 am
Glorfirith Annun
My most favourite is definately Fingolfin. And my brian decided it didn't want to work any more and shut down and I lost my reason. But Fingolfin is awesome and fought Morgoth. That's reason enough right?

That is reason enough for me! I also liked Galadriel, she had the whole tough girl thing going on for her.  

Serni

Imyavie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:43 am
My favourite is Fingolfin. Come on, he dared to fought Morgoth on his own....even though he ended up dying.

(I almost cried when I read that. Almost all of my favourite characters have died... sad )  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:54 am
Well, everyone dies in the Silmarillion.

SIL SURVIVORS:
- Elrond
- Elros: Uh oh! Mortality!
- Maglor: Wanders the shores of Middle-earth
- Earendil: Forever sundered from his kindred
- Elwing: Waits alone in her tower in the North
- Cirdan
- Gil-galad; but dies later on anyway
- Galadriel
- Celeborn
- The pansies who didn't come back to Middle-earth

The Silmarillion is a story of disaster and ruin.  

Falathrim

Imyavie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:59 am
Falathrim

SIL SURVIVORS:
- Elrond
- Cirdan
- Galadriel
- Celeborn

But it is still awesome. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:56 pm
It's pretty hard to not like Fingolfin. Unsurprisingly, he's one of my favourites, too.

Know who I really don't like, though? Celegorm and Curufin. Way to be really incredibly huge jerks without the insanity excuse. Bad eggs, both of them.

Falathrim
Lithwen
...I admire his dedication to the oath, as stupid as the entire thing was.

And that's where I stop reading your post. Why, you ask? Well, let's just switch a few words around, and that will become clear:

'I admire Adolf Hitler for his dedicaton to the Final Solution, as stupid as the entire thing was.'

There we go!

One can admire someone's dedication without admiring what they are dedicated to.

And it's hardly fair to compare Maedhros to Hilter. razz  

Nimbrethil

Ithilvalan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:35 pm
Falathrim

SIL SURVIVORS:
- Elrond
- Cirdan
- Galadriel
- Celeborn

Ehehehe. That's why I like it so much. *sadistic laugh* No, my favorite was UT because of the story of Galadriel and Celeborn. Ahhh *misty look* And as aforementioned, I like Fingolfin because of his heroism, his noble-ness, and for just being awesome in general. Sorry that it's kind of shallow....  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:54 pm
Am I the only one who hates Fingolfin? Well, I don't really hate him so much as I love Morgoth.  

curumo

Falathrim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:58 pm
Nimbrethil
One can admire someone's dedication without admiring what they are dedicated to.

And it's hardly fair to compare Maedhros to Hilter. razz

So, as long as you're dedicated, you're perfectly admirable, no matter what it is you're dedicated too?

Fine, then. Instead of Hitler, I shall rather compare Maedhros to Stalin, for he too was dedicated to something. Ah, how I admire Stalin, for his blind dedication to something incredibly stupid...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:53 pm
Falathrim
So, as long as you're dedicated, you're perfectly admirable, no matter what it is you're dedicated too?

No, I didn't say that. I said that the quality of dedication (or commitment, if you like, to use a different word) is itself admirable apart from whatever cause people choose to dedicate themselves to. Dedication by itself doesn't make a person admirable, and that's why Lithwen listed other reasons for liking Maedhros.

Besides, you can't dismiss dedication as an admirable quality just because some people turn it into fanaticism. There are lots of examples that would easily show the noble or beneficial effects of someone's dedication.

...Yeah, I know. The Oath is pretty fanatical. And if I try putting some kind of spin on it whereby it could be considered a noble and worthy pursuit, you'll just compare that to what Hilter or Stalin would say about their "dedications". Or something.  

Nimbrethil

Falathrim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:10 pm
In order to be dedicated, one must be dedicated to something. Thus, dedication is dependant upon another factor. What makes dedication admirable, in my opinion, is that factor, not the dedication itself.

Or, that's how I see it, at least. And I don't see the oath as admirable in any shape or form.  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff